"New" old tow vehicle

B

BouseBill

Have been looking for a truck to replace the Dodge SRW 3500. Started feeling a little under"trucked" for the 2011 BC 3355RL.

Found the above 2008 Ford 450 at one of the local dealerships. The truck was a one owner, with only 25,800 miles on it. I think the "Boss" can now load her BC to her hearts content....as long as she stays within boundaries of the axles and tires.:D:D:D
For the price difference of a new truck vs. this one, even with the 4:88 gearing:(We can go a little slower.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We love our Dodge 3500 srw, especially since the new ones have to have the DEF. We haven't had any problems pulling our Big Country/s but congratulations on your new toy.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
That is a great looking rig (even if it is a ford). 4:88 rear end? Wow, you won't have any problems in the mountains, that's for sure.
Curious what kind of mpg you get while towing after you have had a chance to track it.

B

BouseBill

With the Dodge we were over gross on the rear axle and combined with all we carry, so no preaching to others but I feel better with the bigger truck.
If we get 8 mpg towing I'll be happy seeing as to the Dodge got 10/11 towing the BC. Our around town mileage is half the Dodge but where we're at now the speed limit is predominantly 55 and we're hitting 16mpg doing that.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
With the Dodge we were over gross on the rear axle and combined with all we carry, so no preaching to others but I feel better with the bigger truck.
If we get 8 mpg towing I'll be happy seeing as to the Dodge got 10/11 towing the BC. Our around town mileage is half the Dodge but where we're at now the speed limit is predominantly 55 and we're hitting 16mpg doing that.

16?? Wow. I have a '08 f350 and wife babies it and can only get 14 at best around town. We are on our way to pickup new BC and with our sob we got 10.1 in Louisiana and btw 8.5 and 9.2 in ms, tn and now ky with the rolling hills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B

BouseBill

Here is a question I have been dreading to ask, but will. To you Ford owners how accurate have you found the mileage readout to be?? Now I say 16 mpg because that is what is shown on the instrument cluster. I have not done an actual miles to gallons equation as of yet.

Eddhuy

Congratulations, that is a beautiful truck. My instrument panel is usually about 1 to .5 MPG generous but I have less than 2K on my truck so far. Will be adding more mileage soon. My 04 F350 was .5 to 0 MPG generous, pretty darn accurate and was getting 19 to 22 MPG around town and at 55 would get 16 towing on level ground, towing the Prowler Titanium edtion. The only engine mod was a 4" MBPR exhaust pipe from the turbo back.

The biggest problem I have with my new Ford is that is does not sound like a diesel and with the DEF does not smell like one either. I still love to drive it though.

scottyb

Here is a question I have been dreading to ask, but will. To you Ford owners how accurate have you found the mileage readout to be?? Now I say 16 mpg because that is what is shown on the instrument cluster. I have not done an actual miles to gallons equation as of yet.

BouseBill, it looks like you found a real gem. I looked extensively for a clean used DRW, but only found a couple and they wanted within a few $Thousand of a new one. The others were high mileage and rode hard. WOW, 4.88 gears? Our F550 haul truck only has 4.30's and it is a beast.

My 2013 F350 DRW is generous by 1.0 - 1.5 MPG. I am getting a solid 13 MPG in every day driving and by calculation, and it shows 14 - 14.5. Now that my truck has the fuel economy graph, I can see why my trucks never get what others claim. I live in the Texas Hill Country and watching that graph while going up those hills and around the curves, it's no wonder why my mileage is lower since I drive that route every day.

Congrats on your new truck.

wdk450

The F450/4500 trucks are pretty rare. In fact the Dodge/RAM larger than 3500 come only in a commercial chassis cab, and you have to get your own pickup bed installed. I would assume that the brakes are upgraded to match the load capacity, which is always a good thing with a big trailer.

B

BouseBill

thanks for the reply's, after running a full tank and checking the mileage I'll post the numbers. I think the 4:88 gears are one reason we got such a good deal on the truck, folks were afraid of the low fuel mileage, and that may be the case....we'll see. I never tow much past 60 mph anyway, even in states where it's legal to do so.

happyappy

If you find you have more gear than you need, it would probably cost less than you think to change the gearset to a 4.10. Something to keep in mind if you get tired of running high rpm all the time.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We love our Dodge 3500 srw, especially since the new ones have to have the DEF. We haven't had any problems pulling our Big Country/s but congratulations on your new toy.

Nathan,
I completely agree. We have pulled our BH 3670 at least 25K miles, with many hills/mountains. No problems whatsoever.

If I am pulling anywhere near semi flat terrain, I average about 14-17 mpg towing. Worst mileage I have ever gotten was 12, in the Sierra Nevadas. But that was some very serious mountain roads.

Some of the newer trucks are nice, but I am not ready to let this 5.9 go anytime soon. (only 60K miles) Trace

rjwarre

I have an '09 F450 with 4:30 gears. Averaged 8.5 towing a 12000# SOB from Seattle to Sturgis and back last August. Absolutly love the truck. Put it in tow haul mode, set the cruise at 60 and set back and relax.
You have a Great looking rig. Congrats!!