Attaching things / hardware - MPG construction & structure?

johnmichael

Just got a 2011 MPG-183 - its my first RV. I have extensive renovation experience with homes, but am not familiar with how this trailer is built. Before I start screwing things like towel bars, clothes hooks, rod holders. etc into the walls, roof etc - I'd like to know how its made and what everyone's experience is for the best way for attaching things is. (wall anchors, screws, glue, etc)

Any help for this babe-in-the-woods rookie?

Thanks
jm

bigmaho

Just got a 2011 MPG-183 - its my first RV. I have extensive renovation experience with homes, but am not familiar with how this trailer is built. Before I start screwing things like towel bars, clothes hooks, rod holders. etc into the walls, roof etc - I'd like to know how its made and what everyone's experience is for the best way for attaching things is. (wall anchors, screws, glue, etc)

Any help for this babe-in-the-woods rookie?

Thanks
jm

Hi Jim,
I installed a couple of windows and a solar panel in my 181. I'm attaching a couple of photos of the section I cut out for the window. It's 1 1/16th inches wide and it's a sandwich of what seems to be 3/4 styrofoam, 1/8" pressboard and 1/16th inch exterior. I had to screw in to install cable guides for the solar panel. I drilled starter holes and shot them with silicon adhesive then screwed in 3/4" screws. Holds well.

Attachments

• mpg side panel.jpg
    mpg side panel.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 137
  • mpg side panel detail.jpg
    mpg side panel detail.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 131

johnmichael

Hi Jim,
I installed a couple of windows and a solar panel in my 181. I'm attaching a couple of photos of the section I cut out for the window. It's 1 1/16th inches wide and it's a sandwich of what seems to be 3/4 styrofoam, 1/8" pressboard and 1/16th inch exterior. I had to screw in to install cable guides for the solar panel. I drilled starter holes and shot them with silicon adhesive then screwed in 3/4" screws. Holds well.

Those pics are really helpful - how great would it be to see a pic of the skeleton on one of these huh? Does anyone know if the frame is aluminum or steel? Just wondering how I could locate the substructure

kb0zke

"Those pics are really helpful - how great would it be to see a pic of the skeleton on one of these huh? Does anyone know if the frame is aluminum or steel? Just wondering how I could locate the substructure" You could try calling the factory. They would certainly be able to tell you whether it is aluminum or steel. Since the last I heard the mpg line had been suspended you aren't going to get to go to the factory and see one being built. One trick that may work is to go out at sunrise on a cool humid morning and see of you can see the sidewall frame members outlined by the moisture.

jimtoo

I am sure the wall structure frame work is aluminum. You can find all the frame members with a stud finder. Almost all the stud finders will locate wood and aluminum.

plumber54

Back when we were shopping for a camper we came upon a video on line about the MPG put out there by Heartland and it did show the assembly line at the factory and it was very detailed. It was one of the things that led us to the MPG and eventually we got our 183. If you can find that video I'm sure you can get a good idea of the frame work.

marc515

We use 3M Command hooks, and also use Heavy Duty double sided automotive tape. If you need to attach to a stud, you can call Heartland Customer Service: 877-262-8032, and ask them to fax you a copy of the drawings for your MPG; you will need to give them your VIN. I would double check with a stud finder.