Floor Mounted Tie Down Systems

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I've come to the same conclusion that many others have ( I should have taken action sooner) that the factory tie downs are too few and in the wrong places. I suffered damage to my Gold wing when returning from Gettysburg last week and want to insure that never happens again. So my question to the group:

• What tie down system did you install?
    • S Track
    • T Track
    • E Track
    • Airline Seat Track?
    • Other?
  • Where did you get it?
  • How did you secure it?
    • screws? what kind and size
    • through bolts? with or with out backing plates?
  • Would you install it again?

Thanks for your input -

Kevin

Lou_and_Bette

Kevin, I still use the tie downs that came with my RW. However, I have never had a problem after towing the bike around all over the country. I believe the reason is the Condor Pit stop/ Trailer stop wheel chock. At first, I towed with only 2 straps holding the bike but reason convinced me to use more straps but still only use the front two tie downs and the middle ones on the sides, no straps to the rear. I did bolt the chock through the floor but with 4 simple thumb screws, the chock can be removed. Highly recomend this chock

Lou

welbe13

I use the bolt it on system and found that I have never had a problem and it comes right out when I get to the campsite.

srgt30

I also use the Condors however I attached those to an aluminum L bracket and milled out slots so the front d- Rings poke up through it. They are very secure once the front straps are attached to the rings sticking up through the L bracket. I also use extra straps in center and at rear as insurance.

recumbent615

Thanks for your input - I also have the condor - I love the fact that it can be removed and leaves next to nothing on the floor - My issue is that my Gold Wing is so wide that the Straps rub on the fairing and cause damage. I have decided to go with a set of S-Track and the three point clips. For now I purchase three 8 ft tracks - I plan on running one on each wall and one down the middle. This is more about flexibility of tie down locations to avoid damage to the bike than any thing else. I've seen others who have used this system ( or one very close ) to tie down big bikes - so I have no concern that they will not hold.

Again thanks for your input and insight.

I'll let you all know how it goes...

porthole

Retired
Kevin - didn't you ever look at my tie-downs?
Just an FYI, if you put one track down the center - middle and you ever get a golf cart, the cart will sit on the track.

Mine is off center a few inches.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=262148&viewfull=1#post262148

BTW, I don't bother bolting the Condor down anymore and will be removing the mounting plate.

recumbent615

Kevin - didn't you ever look at my tie-downs?
Just an FYI, if you put one track down the center - middle and you ever get a golf cart, the cart will sit on the track.

Mine is off center a few inches.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=262148&viewfull=1#post262148

BTW, I don't bother bolting the Condor down anymore and will be removing the mounting plate.

Duane,

yes I did see the S-Track post and your placement - how did you secure the track down? what size and length screws or did you through-bolt it? also how did you get the track to bend at the tail? did you undercut the track?

Kevin

porthole

Retired
Duane,

yes I did see the S-Track post and your placement - how did you secure the track down? what size and length screws or did you through-bolt it? also how did you get the track to bend at the tail? did you undercut the track?

Kevin

Where i could it is through bolted. Where i couldn't #12 or 14 wood screws. Remember, there is 1" of plywood there. The tracks are secured every 4". The wood screws are stainless and the through bolts are some sort of tech coating in black. If I need to really crank down on something the screw color tells me where.

For the most part though, the front and rear portions are all through bolted.

No undercutting for the bend. Estimated where and stuck it in a vise.

Lessons at Goshen!

Zoomzoommo

Here's a photo of my BMW touring bike, Honda dirt bike, and son's mountain bike loaded in the 3110's garage using the Bolt It On system. Missouri to Ouray CO with zero issues, easy unload & uninstall of the rack. Just stored in under the 3110.

8FA6E589-C91D-443F-B911-6BE45B446909-625-0000016C82D6208E_zps8334182e.jpg