Could this Memorial Day weekend accident been avoided?

DW_Gray

We may never know.

"Susan Clark was driving the RV and her husband, Steven Clark, was sitting on a couch behind the driver's seat when a front tire blew about 5:45 a.m., causing the oversize vehicle and trailer to veer off I-15 and into the neighborhood below, according to the Utah Highway Patrol."

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=25306526&nid=148

Added Info

Here's the link to the video titled "The Critical Factor." We all need to review this video periodically.

Last edited:

jbeletti

Maybe - maybe not.

We've been told in various classes that when a "steer tire" blows, DO NOT BRAKE. Maintain current speed, then slow down and pull off when safe. I think that's right.

4ever

What a tragic event. Obviously it could have been a lot worse. You just never know. What minute everything is fine and going well and the next minute is tragic.

ParkIt

Very sad to hear. Hoping all those on the forum and elsewhere stay safe on the roads this summer.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
There really isn't enough detail to determine if it could have been avoided. As Jim mentioned, for a motorized RV, grip tight and steer to the side of the road. I know there's a device called "Steer Safe" that is supposed to help with guidance in this type situation. It is a sad story for sure.

Coming home last weekend we were delayed by this RV accident. I-90/94 northbound at the Beloit, WI exit. We weren't able to get a lot of pictures but it appears the truck & trailer swerved for some reason and hit the bridge abutment. That sheared off the right front wall and then both truck & trailer swerved left. The trailer body came off of the frame and landed sideways on the left shoulder of the road. The pickup and trailer frame are on the left shoulder facing south.

I was navigating through the area so pictures are not the greatest.

Attachments

• DSC00180.JPG
    DSC00180.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC00179.JPG
    DSC00179.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC00178.JPG
    DSC00178.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 226

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
This type of accident can be reconstructed by a skilled investigator with some degree of accuracy. More than likely the blowout would cause the vehicle to swerve and cause the driver to overcompensate, losing control.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The latest thinking on blowout is to fully accelerate as soon as the blowout occurs and then gradually slow. The full acceleration is thought to help bring the vehicle under immediate control. Most people have never had a blowout and do not know what to expect. The worst thing to do is to brake heavily. BTW I have had blowout at speeds as high as 100 mph (police car). It is a real experience.

vakthund

DO NOT BRAKE. Maintain current speed, then slow down and pull off when safe.
Was always told to accelerate, get control, foot off the gas, and let the vehicle coast to a stop if possible. Easy to say, hard to do. Had a blow-out in a 77 Ford LTD - my foot automatically slammed on the break and we ended up in a cornfield. Good thing the LTD was simply too wide and too heavy to flip.

DW_Gray

Was always told to accelerate, get control, foot off the gas, and let the vehicle coast to a stop if possible. Easy to say, hard to do. Had a blow-out in a 77 Ford LTD - my foot automatically slammed on the break and we ended up in a cornfield. Good thing the LTD was simply too wide and too heavy to flip.

Here's the link to the video titled "The Critical Factor." We all need to review this video periodically.