Fuel Pump Problem. Any ideas??

taken

Hey guys. Got an issue with my fuel pump on the 30C and wanted to see if anyone had ideas. It worked perfectly last year. Anyways, first trip of the year. Heading for a few days of ATVing. On the way up, I topped up the tank. It took about 12 gallons. That night we set up camp. Next morning we get the quads around to the pump side to fill up for the day. Turn on the timer and pump. I hear the pump start up. I put the nozzle in my tank, pull, and nothing. Some vapor and fumes but no gas. I let off and try over and over. While the nozzle is closed I hear the pump winding up and building pressure but when I squeeze the handle nothing but vapor and fumes. Now, I know the tank is full so not sure why I'm building air pressure and not sucking fuel. Of course, I'm two months out of warranty from Heartland so I want to make sure it's nothing I can troubleshoot myself before paying the dealer to dig in. Any ideas???

taken

Well, through Mike Alpin, I got in touch with a Heartland tech named JD Adams. He advised me to prime the pump and see if that did it. Well, it didn't cure the issue, but it did expose a large hold in the rubber fuel line between the pump and tank. I can't be sure, but I'm thinking vermin. Again Mike to the rescue. Thanks for the after the sale and after the warranty runs out support Heartland...

Sandpirate69

Be careful not to run pump too long without fuel. The pump is self priming. Just FYI the pump has a 2 year warranty. I can't remember the company name right now, but they are great to work with. I sent them my purchase document and they sent me a new motor & gasket. Now it works great. It's not too hard to rebuild in the event later on you need to.

Ivan

taken

Well, a double barb end brass fitting, two hose clamps, and a utility knife fixed it in less time than it is taking me to reply to my post! I love it when the it's easy. I love it even more when everything you need is already in the garage! Thanks for the thoughts Ivan. I heard that GPI was a good company to deal with and appreciate you letting me know about their 2 year warranty. Will keep that info in case any future issues arise...

scottyb

Taken, what was the fix. I suspect mine might not be pumping as it should. It is very slow, maybe 3 gpm. I use these types of pumps at work and they pump much faster than this.

taken

Taken, what was the fix. I suspect mine might not be pumping as it should. It is very slow, maybe 3 gpm. I use these types of pumps at work and they pump much faster than this.

I just cut out a section of hose that had a chew hole in it. Was sucking air threw the hole rather than fuel from the tank.