Heavy condensation build up on windows

Waynez725

Hello this is my first post.i have a question and maybe some ideas from you.me and my family purchased a new 2013 heartland wilderness and went camping in it for the first time this weekend. The weather was rainy and cold, we had the heat on and noticed a large amount of moister build up on the inside of the glass. It was so much that the window tracks inside the rv were overflowing with water. We had to place paper towel in the tracks to soak up the water and keep changing them out. This is not our first camper we have had a little condensation build up on the glass of our old one but never this much. Any reason for this or suggestions thanks

danemayer

Hi Waynez725,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

I expect you'll get some responses shortly.

oldmannj

You had all the makings for a rain storm in the Trailer. different temperatures, high humidity and lack of circulation. When the weather is nasty you still have to have air circulate. I'm betting you were cooking inside too, which doesn't help any. Next time all these components exist try cracking open a window or 2 and run the fan on the vent. The trailer may still get moisture but it won't be anywhere near as bad. This happened in my trailrunner, but then it happened in my SOB too. ED. Ooops almost forgot to welcome you to the forum, and the Heartland family. ED. :D

mdamerell

We had a condensation problem as well and when all else fails read the directions :rolleyes:... The owners manual stated to leave a vent and window cracked open. We have the Maxxair vent covers so we normally crack the roof vents open and leave the window by the table cracked open. Any time we use the stove we run the vent fan. Burning propane creates moister. Have not had a problem since. With everyone breathing and cooking you put a bunch of moisture into the air and it has to go somewhere. Good luck.

Manzan

Even with it raining and near 100% humidity outside, cracking a window and opening a vent dries out the air inside. As the air coming in warms up, it can hold more moisture so the humidity inside goes down and out the cracked vent. Some times when we camp on the Oregon Coast, it is warm and wet on the outside so not much difference between inside and outside but don't have the condensation on the widows because they are the same temperature. Need to wait until we are home again to get everything dried out.

Mizmary

We found an energy star dehumidifier to use. Bonus is it heats up the place a bit too so your furnace isn't running. It was actually one of the complaints from amazon- but we used it to heat the garage of our SOB toy hauler. We keep it here too. Coastal CA is always a bit on the damp side.

You definitely want to watch. Condensation like that can lead to mold. We ended up with a huge mold problem under the mattress in our first 5er after a few weeks in cold rainy Monterey weather and we didn't know better.

ParkIt

Welcome to the Heart Land forums, you can find a lot of information here.

One thing about a trailer is its like a big car: if you sleep in a car in that kind of weather, you always wake up to windows with more condensation on the inside than outside. Same thing with a TT or 5th wheel, you need air circulation and Heart Land has good if not better insulation than other manufacturers so more moisture probably builds up faster than your old unit used to.
The Max Air covers are something I've always had so no matter the weather I can keep the moisture evaporating out and keep a window cracked about an inch for ventilation while sleeping. Keep the mattress and covers a few inches from the wall as well, moisture loves a warm spot and so does mold.

If you are still getting too much water at the base of the windows, check to see if the outside drain (a slot about 1/4" long) is not plugged and at the bottom end. There have been a few folks where the slot was either blocked or at the top so water can't drain out, it drains in. That is when you want to take it back to the dealership and have them check and fix it.