Sundance 3300SK Battery problem

janiknl

Does anyone have any experience with a battery "exploding" in their 5th Wheels? Our Sundance was at the Dealer for some Warranty work.
When I got it back and opened the front compartment, Wow, what a mess. The battery had exploded. The Dealer replaced the Battery, But now I am wondering. Whats to keep this battery from doing the same thing. Any suggestions??

lwfox002

As far as I know, causes for a battery to explode would include an internal short between the plates or a build up of fumes then a spark around the battery. Others will know more than I and should respond soon. :eek:

BJ'sDad

Overcharging can also lead to a battery explosion. If a battery is charged at an excessive rate it will build up too much pressure due to the hydrogen build up from the electrolysis is too much for the vents to release.

I'd say it's possible that the battery was either overcharged, or charged at an unreasonable rate, either by someone, or because of a failure in the trailers charge system.

If I were you, I would get the dealer to give you an explanation of exactly what they did while they had the unit, and if they did nothing that could have caused it (for instance, did they do any welding on the frame of the trailer without unhooking the battery that could have cause this?) I would return the trailer to the dealer for a full check of the electrical system just to be sure.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
battery charging

We had the battery in our 2007 Landmark short out and fill the inside of the coach with battery fumes. I found the battery hot and smoking. The battery was replaced under warranty and I was told it had shorted out. The new battery was defective and replaced again under warranty. The dealer (Camperland in Conroe Tx) advised me the charger continuously charges the battery. They told me I should unplug the charger and purchase a timer, plug in the charger to the timer and then the charger will only charge as the timer allows. They also said the "water" in the battery should be checked and refilled as necessary on at least a monthly basis because the charger has a tendacy to cause evaporation of the "water".

jbeletti

jmgratz,

What brand converter is on your Sundance? If by chance, it's Progressive Dynamics, you could possibly add the Charge Wizard option to it. I added it to mine and had great luck with it for 3 seasons. I used the Pro-Fill battery watering manifold system and added water a few times a season.

Jim

janiknl

Thanks for all the responses.

The Power converter in my Sundance lists the name as "WFCO".
I wasn't even sure where the "charger" might be in the Sundance.
I am assuming it is with the power box mounted just inside the door,
where all the fuses are mounted.

Thanks again for all the responses.