Surge protector - where to mount in Big Country

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you remove the basement walls, you might want to mount it to the side of the stair framing. I'd move the converter, as well. Get them away from any water pipes and make them accessible (especially the fuses on the converter). I've attached a photo of how I mounted mine, along with an access panel I put into the wall. The suppressor and converter are mounted to a piece of 3/4" plywood I attached to the framing. The cord on the converter reached the outlet it was plugged into. The suppressor required disconnecting the shore line from the breaker panel, then attaching it to the input side of the suppressor and adding a section of 6/3 w/g cabling to reach the panel from the suppressor.

View attachment 24507View attachment 24508

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
I mounted my surge guard as Jim suggested, however I installed a 3/4" plywood wall to which the surge guard is mounted. The access panel has a window cut-out to view the surge guard. Doing it this way allows me to remove the access panels to get to any plumbing or wiring and never have to disturb the surge guard and main electrical feed. I had to do it this way as my surge guard does not have a remote reader (has 'idiot' LED lights instead), so I needed it in a location that I could see and monitor during initial hook-up.

mobilcastle

If you remove the basement walls, you might want to mount it to the side of the stair framing. I'd move the converter, as well. Get them away from any water pipes and make them accessible (especially the fuses on the converter). I've attached a photo of how I mounted mine, along with an access panel I put into the wall. The suppressor and converter are mounted to a piece of 3/4" plywood I attached to the framing. The cord on the converter reached the outlet it was plugged into. The suppressor required disconnecting the shore line from the breaker panel, then attaching it to the input side of the suppressor and adding a section of 6/3 w/g cabling to reach the panel from the suppressor.

View attachment 24507View attachment 24508
John,
You just did to good of a job! I cut the wire and spiced it in behind the wall by the converter. Just make sure you put one in-that is the main thing to protect all those systems.

KiwiRVer

I installed mine behind the basement wall as Jim said and also installed an autoformer in line with it. I also have a hatch so I can see the LEDs but am going to change the whole setup down there so I can get into the area behind the basement walls more easily and use more of that space for storage. The hatch I used was a boat hatch I picked up at a sale at a marine chandlers.

Milton_and_PeggySue

I want to thank every one for the feed back, I have installed the EMS in the basement and the reader was snaked to the switch panel in the kitchen, so to check the reader all I need to do is open the cabinet door. And the idea of moving the converter it is a good idea, electronics and water don't mix.
Thank you again.