I'm a new member.....I've got some questions!

-Right now I am a happy owner of a Tiffin Motorhome. I've been totally delighted with the Tiffin line and the way that the manufacturer stands behind the product!!! I'd love to think that all camping experiences are like that....
-I am ready to sell my motorhome, due to health issues. There is a chance for me to purchase a 2011 MPG 185. I'm pretty excited about it.
-I know (from online research) that there may be axle issues and that Heartland no longer manufactures the MPG. I intend to have the axle and tire wear checked out. I also know that a camper is basically a box of component parts.
-I am interested in knowing what the impact of Heartland discontinuing the MPG might have on my ownership experience.
-I know my unit would be considered used, I know I wouldn't have a dealer to fall back on.
-Is the MPG a good thing? I'm really excited. Please let me know of your thoughts.

Thanks, hatterascal.

bigmaho

I have a 2012 MPG 181. It's my first hard shell (I had pop-ups previously). I think the MPG is well built and well fitted out. As you said, if you are buying used, check the tires for wear on the inside. My tires with a bad axle were nearly bald on the inside after 5000 miles or so. My axle was replaced under warranty. Besides for the axle I would check the brakes, the water system and all the appliances. Does the water system stay pressurized? If there are any pin hole leaks the pump will kick on and off periodically. Make sure all the windows and doors and slide out open and close freely and that all the electric works. You can always purchase an after market warranty if you're concerned. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
Billy

marc515

We've had our MPG-181 for a year now and love it. We did not have the axle issue, so can't talk to that. Overall, the MPG is a fine camper.

GEZ

I bought a 2011 MPG 183 about 4 weeks ago - there was still snow on the ground so I didn't have a chance to check it out well, but figured it was only 2 years old. Saw this forum after - but so far the front window is leaking every time it rains - seems to be a common problem. I also have abnormal tire wear on the inside tread of the drivers side tire - from this forum I am worried that I'll have an axel problem, hard to believe on a two year old camper! Seems to consistently be the side that has the slideout, I wonder if the extra weight on that side is causing the problem.

Upgraded from a 30 year old Boler - none of the windows leak after 30 years, and it is still on the original axel, sigh...

bigmaho

I'm not sure what the axle warranty is, but take a picture of the serial number plate on the rear of the axle and of the wear on the tire and email Lippert. They were much more responsive to me than Heartland.

kb0zke

The mpg is a pretty decent little camper, but it isn't anywhere close to a Tiffen. Depending on your size, it can be great for weekends to a month or so. For one or two people it works well. Three need to be pretty close. We had our mpg 181 for just over two years and thoroughly enjoyed it. NO axle issues at all. The three big problems we had were: (1) the drawer slides weren't parallel, so the drawers fell out. (2) the drain hose broke off of the connection to the gray water tank. (3) the a/c bolts worked loose and let some rain in. The dealer fixed all three problems. We had no window leaks. Would have been nice to have had a slightly newer version that had the rear window by the dinette, and no front window.

BTW, we went from the mpg to a Foretravel.

GEZ

I'm not sure what the axle warranty is, but take a picture of the serial number plate on the rear of the axle and of the wear on the tire and email Lippert. They were much more responsive to me than Heartland.

I will try that, thanks for the info!