Super sonic garage entertainment system in cyclone 4100

Mizmary

Our rear DVD player will often tell us that our disc is not formatted for this region, or it will skip and replay the first chapter of a movie over and over. Trying to read the manual-- that's futile. It reads like it was translated to four different languages and then to English.

Ay suggestions? Does anyone have the same problem? Our kids sure would like to watch more than the first 12 minutes of "Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs." And I'd like them to stop whining about it. ;-P

We have messed with the settings. Here is the manual. Am I nuts? Have I been out of the the computer tech business so long that I've forgotten how to read this stuff- or is this just the cheapest DVD/stereo they could find?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369794951.636106.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1369795100.802385.jpg

jimtoo

It is my understanding that now they,, maker of CD's,, are marking some that are bought in discount stores,, cheep places so they will not play unless you pay more for them. Do a google or yahoo search for "CD regions" or "dvd regional".

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I read the manual for the supersonic over the weekend. I don't think it was you having problems. The only thing the manual seems to have got across is that the manual is not really useful and even points out that the manual will probably not help as eveything was made to be simple to use and discover the features. Apparently, you discovered the feature that plays only the first few minutes of cloudy with a chance of meatballs.

Aside from the terrible manual, try cleaning the discs. so much as a speck of dust or fingerprint can cause problems with more finicky dvd players. You may want to even hold the dvd up and see if you have any pinhole scratches.

Dvds read from the center out so the disc could be damaged very slightly and would stop in about the same place everytime depending on how the error correction is handled. In less expensive players, a damaged disc is more likely to stop or have problems with very minor errors such as small scratches or smudges.

Mizmary

I will look. It is possible that our copy of "cloudy" was a Wally World special. Normally we buy the better quality- and it wouldn't play our DVD of ice age, which I know we bought at best buy. It has worked in every other player which is why I haven't thought about it being an issue with a $5 bin.

Glad to know I'm not losing it. ;-P thanks for the input.

danemayer

The Region setting on DVDs enables content owners to sell the same movie at wildly different prices around the world. So Region 1 customers get to pay $18 but Region 5 for India might pay $2. The Region 5 DVD can't be played on a Region 1 player.

So it could be a bargain DVD that is from another region, or it could be a malfunction in the player that it's reading the region information incorrectly, or it could be a malfunction in the disc that is providing bad information about the region.

Find a known-good DVD that plays reliably at home or on someone else's DVD player. If that disc has this same region failure in your Super Sonic, it's probably a malfunction in the player.

Mizmary

It's a problem with the player then, because that disc has played on multiple other devices with no problem. We might just get a blu-ray and mount it under the cabinet. ;-P I just thought it was crazy - and though I know I'm a little bit nutz I was hoping I hadn't lost my mind!!

This is why I love this forum. So many helpful answers!! :-D

Lou_and_Bette

We got a couple of disks that would do the same thing...trying everything, I ended up choosing a chapter (scene) further in the movie, skipping several parts of the movie but then reversing to just past the sticking point, and the movie play on from there. Not sure if this would work for you but cheaper than buying new player.

Lou

marvmarcy

The first upgrade I did in our last two fivers was to pull out the cheapie a/v system (except lcd tv) and install a good system including high power Yamaha RX-V receiver, BlueRay player, Popcorn Hour (thousands of videos stored on hard drive), high-powered subwoofer and B&W cinema speakers.

If you have kids and want rapid access to thousands of videos in hd, a Popcorn Hour is great - no more dvds to handle or store.

porthole

Retired
Ditto on the BLU-ray players. Cheap now at Costco etc. And your non BR-discs will look better. Use an HDMI cord to get the best picture.