LT tires

Tweitekamp

Ok, so my towmax tires are cracking pretty bad on teh sidewalls. I am not going to trust these any longer. I am going to switch over to LT tires. I would like some opinions on what people have switched to if leaving the ST world. I am looking at the following:

Bridgestone Duravis R250
Bridgestone Commercial TA
Firestone Transforce HT

I am open to suggestion. The Duravis is a cadillac tire but comes at a big price of over 205 per tire. I hear the Michelin is a good shoe too but if I am going to spend over 200 bucks a tire, I think the Duravis is a good fit. If people have had good luck on either the Commercial or the Transforce please let me now. I guess the goodyear wrangler is a good option.

I am willing to spend more on a trailer tire because a blow out can cause some major structural damage....I don't want that to happen at all!!!

Thanks for the input!

Todd

danemayer

Hi Tweitekamp,

Responses will be more meaningful if you'll tell us what model you have, how many axles, and tire load range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Todd, Have you considered the Maxxis tires? They are available in your size and Load Range. They are classified as a trailer tire. Everything else you mentioned is considered a Light Truck Tire. I see you've also found out tires are getting expensive.:rolleyes: Here's a link to discount tire

TXTiger

I got the Michelin XBS Ribs and they are doing great. A little expensive but worth it. Just drove from California to the east coast and now heading back via Goshen Rally.

Tweitekamp

I have a 2010 Heartland Sundance 2998 RB. 2 axles with 8 bolt aluminum rims. I am running the famous power blow max tires 235/85/16st if I remember correctly.

I have thought about the maxxis tires, but a bit tired of the specialty stuff such as trailer tires. I can whip in anywhere and get a heavy LT tire. I put st tires on my boat trailer but this thing is a bit more valuable. I don't speed, but I do exceed 65 sometimes. I like the ability to be able to pull off the road and get a tire if needed. Walmart doesn't stock a tire in that size at most tire centers. I have a lot more flexibility with LT's and I hear more positive responses from the LT's thas ST's. On my heavy flatbed I had LT's and never had a issue. That is my reason.

happykraut

After one of my TowMax tire blew this spring on my 2012 BC, I replaced them with the Michelin XPS RIBS. Can't go wrong with these.

MC9

On our 2900MK after less than 2 yrs I was having tire wear problems with the Towmax . I did a ton of research and chose the TransForce HT. Because of spacing I had to buy the 245-75-16. I was so pleased I transferred them to our new 12k rig and still going strong. The TV received new Dura vis 500 HT. also made in the same plant in Canada.

GOTTOYS

I switched to LT tires after taking only one trip with my trailer. I didn't have any tire trouble and didn't want any. My first set of LTs were B.F. Goodrich Commercial TAs. They were trouble free for about 2 years and 15,000 or so, miles. They were recalled although I had no trouble with them, and were replaced with a set of Michelin XPS Ribs at no charge to me. Nothing, no balancing, mounting fees, nothing. I would have been perfectly happy with another set of TAs but they weren't yet available. Thank you Discount Tire. If you compare the weight and the sidewall thickness to the rags you have on there now you will never go back to a ST tire. I have run thousands of miles at speeds up to and maybe over 70mph at times and have never worried about tire problems. THE best thing I ever bought for my trailer....Any of the tires you have listed will be suitable...Don

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I strongly sugges MIchelin XPS Ribs. They have the strongest side wall of any LT tire. If you do some searching you might find that Michelin XPS Rib tires have a very good reputation.
They are more expensive, but I would rather pay more for a great tire than less for a moderate tire that I could not depend on. Costs less in the long run.

BC

Gizzy

After having a third TowMax go to pieces on me I recently changed over to the Durivis, only have about 600 miles on them so far so I really can't comment on how they are. I am sure hoping for MUCH better results than the Towmax.

Vtxkid

Michelin Ribs here too! Love these tires... My brother-in-law mounted them for me and said that they were the toughest tires to install of all the tires he has ever done! (Guess that would give you an idea on the sidewalls), and he mounts tires every day of the week...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Tweitekamp

Mc9 and others.... The st's are 285/80/16. So when you went to LT's what size did you go with. I know mc went with 245's but that seems like a big step down. I was wondering about 265's but not sure what you guys with the michelins ended up with. I don't doubt the ribs are a excellent tire but aim leaning towards the derevis 250. I run michelins on my car and truck so I know they are good.

Let me know what size you ended up with. Thanks!!!!!

todd

GOTTOYS

I went with 235/85/16 on the Michelins. They work just fine but are a bit close together. The Commercial LTs were the same size but had about anothe 1/2-3/4 of an inch in between them. No problems whatsoever...Are you sure your tires aren't 235s not 285s??....Don

Tweitekamp

Ok so I did some comparisons between tire diameter and the 245/75/16 is the perfect match. I should be able to keep my same spacing between tires which is important. Only concern I have with going to lt tires is the fact hat I go from 3500 lbs down to 3000 lbs per tire. That should still be fine with my size camper but it does make me wonder. I lose a little "insurance" if you know what I mean!

i guess I would rather blow a tire than bend a axle right???

mobilcastle

Ok so I did some comparisons between tire diameter and the 245/75/16 is the perfect match. I should be able to keep my same spacing between tires which is important. Only concern I have with going to lt tires is the fact hat I go from 3500 lbs down to 3000 lbs per tire. That should still be fine with my size camper but it does make me wonder. I lose a little "insurance" if you know what I mean!

This is what I run and they are good tires-will handle your load.http://simpletire.com/sailun-235-85r16-8244393-tires

scottyb

The 245/75 16 show to fit a wheel width of 6.5" - 8.0". More than likely your wheels are 6.0". Not sure if that matters and someone on here has reportedly mounted a set of 245's on their rig. I went with the 235's, but would like the additional spacing of the 245's.

Gary521

I have the 245 size Bridgstone Rib LT tire and after thousands of miles with absolutely no problems, I guess you know where I stand.

Tweitekamp

Well, I just placed my order for 245/75/16 Bridgestone Duravis250's. I know they are a pile of money, but not as expensive as the Michelin. I would have liked the Michelin but I am not doing many miles per year like some of you guys. We camp a lot, but mostly local or within 60 miles. I think the duravis is going to be a very good alternative compared to ST's. I always dread having a tire blow and tear up the camper. I am not saying it may not happen, but I think buying a good shoe will make the chance of it happening a lot less.

I do appreciate all your input guys! We have only been able to use our heartland 3 times, but loving it so far!

Todd

KiwiRVer

I finally gave up on the Towmax and after my second one showing symptoms of tread separation I replaced all four with Firestone Transforce LT tires today. Hopefully these will provide much better performance The Towmax were 285/80/16 but the Firestones only came in 285/85/16 which made them slightly larger but doesn't seem to make any difference.