How to watch DVR recordings on another TV in the RV

jbeletti

We have a Directv HR24 HD DVR in the livingroom of the RV. We have a Directv HR21 HD receiver in the bedroom of the RV. At home, we have a similar setup and more.

We added the whole home DVR service for $3 a month and at home all the receivers can see the DVR recordings. Very cool. The RV is plugged into the home Directv system when we are home and we can see the RV DVR from the house receivers too. Very cool to watch in the house, stuff we recorded in the RV while on the road. We can even see the Home DVR from the RV DVR.

This all said, I have never been able to see either DVR from the RV bedroom HR21 receiver. I researched this and there was an easy answer. The HR21 does not have the capability built-in like the new receivers.

The answer? A DECA (Directv Ethernet Coax Adapter). This device connects the network signals coming in via the coax, into the Ethernet port on the receiver. A quick receiver reboot and viola! From the RV bedroom receiver, I can now see both the RV DVR and when home, the Home DVR.

The goal of all of this was to be able to watch DVR'd programs from the bedroom if desired.

If I didn't already have such an investment in 5 existing Directv receivers at home, I'd get the Genie and mini-Genie clients. The Genie is a 5 tuner DVR and the clients (mini Genie receivers for other rooms) are teeny tiny.

Hope this helps someone.

Theresau

Helps us. I was wondering if this could be done in the RV. We have 2 HR 24's (these are the house's - I just plug and play in the RV - make sure I have the same plug/cables in house and RV). Our other is a HR22 with prob the same problem as the HR21.

I assume you are networking via a Netgear ethernet connection?

jbeletti

In the RV, on the HR24 DVR, I turned on the Whole Home DVR feature as I subscribe to that service.

It uses the coax as the network. All other receivers on that same coax network can see the DVR.

As I understand it, the HR21 and earlier receivers cannot internally grab the network data natively.

This is where the DECA comes in. It takes the network data from the incoming coax and routes it out an Ethernet port. It comes with a small Ethernet jumper which is then plugged into the Ethernet port of the receiver in question. Viola!

Theresau

Ok this is my next challenge in the BC. I've now set up Whole Home in the house (been meaning to do this for some time) but I'm connecting two HR24's. I could put one of these in the BC. We've got other receivers as well and I could set these up (prob with DECA's).

Theresa

In the RV, on the HR24 DVR, I turned on the Whole Home DVR feature as I subscribe to that service.

It uses the coax as the network. All other receivers on that same coax network can see the DVR.

As I understand it, the HR21 and earlier receivers cannot internally grab the network data natively.

This is where the DECA comes in. It takes the network data from the incoming coax and routes it out an Ethernet port. It comes with a small Ethernet jumper which is then plugged into the Ethernet port of the receiver in question. Viola!

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
We changed over to the SWM system because the rig only had one straight run to the LR, one to the BR. Had a 4 way wide band splitter installed in the UDC, ran one line to the bedroom, one to the living room, and one through the basement to the opening so I can bring our 2nd receiver and watch outside on a 3rd TV. SwM is located in the Entertainment Center, two lines go to our HR24 DVR.
Had a separate problem with our DirecTV and when the guy was out I asked him why I wasn't eligible to get the whole home DVR? First he said, the unit in the BR (a big old silver box girl) wasn't compatible, so we upgraded to a HR24. Then, the problem was that I had put in all of the above, not DirecTV. They didn't know I had a SwM system because they didn't install it. Every bit of a 45 minute conversation with DirecTV, emails to managers to over ride things, etc. Finally got me "eligible" for Whole Home DVR.
Two words: Love. It. Nothing better than pausing the DVR during the 7th inning stretch, walking the dogs for the evening, coming back and picking the game up where I left it, zip through the commercials.
Hope this helps someone, also.

Theresau

We're enjoying as well at home but we have dups now - have to set up the two HR24's so that they are not recording the same.

Plan to try plugging the RV into our outdoor connector tomorrow. Ordered a DECA as we have an HR22 DVR. I'm now going to try using that as a starting point (supposed to work....with a DECA) and then add an HD receiver (this is compatible) - we have both available - had these before we purchased the HR24's.

We have SWM in both the house and in the BC - Directv set this up for us in the BH.

We were going to get the Winegard Traveler installed in the BC but held off since it's so expensive and exclusive to Directv and Directv has been using SWM for years now - concerned that they may change their technology. (And what if we decided to go with Dish instead - however, we're pretty committed consideriing how many receivers we own...and we do like the receiver UI and Directv's customer service is excellent.)

It doesn't take us that long to set up our satellite dish - at most 10 mins. usually. The signal usually pops right in and we adjust. Biggest issue is it takes up a lot of space in the front of the trailer (to store).

Theresa

We changed over to the SWM system because the rig only had one straight run to the LR, one to the BR. Had a 4 way wide band splitter installed in the UDC, ran one line to the bedroom, one to the living room, and one through the basement to the opening so I can bring our 2nd receiver and watch outside on a 3rd TV. SwM is located in the Entertainment Center, two lines go to our HR24 DVR.
Had a separate problem with our DirecTV and when the guy was out I asked him why I wasn't eligible to get the whole home DVR? First he said, the unit in the BR (a big old silver box girl) wasn't compatible, so we upgraded to a HR24. Then, the problem was that I had put in all of the above, not DirecTV. They didn't know I had a SwM system because they didn't install it. Every bit of a 45 minute conversation with DirecTV, emails to managers to over ride things, etc. Finally got me "eligible" for Whole Home DVR.
Two words: Love. It. Nothing better than pausing the DVR during the 7th inning stretch, walking the dogs for the evening, coming back and picking the game up where I left it, zip through the commercials.
Hope this helps someone, also.

Rrloren

This seems like the right thread to ask a question re TV hookups.
We have Dish at home and have their Hopper dvr with a Joey so we can watch anything on the dvr on either TV. I just bought what Dish calls the Sling Adapter which allows me to watch on my computer anywhere we travel if the wifi is decent.
I coupled the laptop to the RV ,TV using a HDMI cable and have the picture but no sound except thru the laptop. Does anyone know how to get the sound to the TV or is it just not possible?
Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
On a windows laptop, You may need to go to the sound control panel and select the HDMI port as the default playback device.

Start, Control panel,(Hardware and sound), Sound
Click to choose the HDMI output device and then click set default, click ok.

Theresau

Status: BC now has whole home DVR. We have permanently installed an HR22 with a DECA attached. Plan is to then bring the 2 home HR24's. We tested today with one of the HR24's in the bedroom and it worked like a charm. Thanks Jim.

(Also, the house is now getting whole home without going through the computer network - I'd always been told that it was mandatory to do so until Jim put out this thread. And our system in the house would not work without the network even when I reset it. Turns out you have to redo the satellite settings and then it works. Didn't want Directv to be attached to the computer network - we use Roku for our movies.)

Theresa

Theresau

The DECA capability allows that. The HR24 DVR's have the DECA installed. (And I added a DECA to the HR22 - got the DECA at Amazon for $10 and free prime shipping - just checked, this is not available but there is another seller http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041INCYI/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.)

To set up the whole home using coax, you have to redo the satellite settings for it to acknowledge the DECA (found this on a thread about this somewhere....) - can't just push the red button to reset. You'll find once you've done this, the whole home will network through the coax.

Directv has a list of receivers that are compatible with the whole home and those that have the DECA installed.

Theresa
Theresa, I missed where you see that you don't have to be connected to the Internet.