SOLVED: Nissan Armada Brake Controller issues

I have a 2012 Nissan Armada TV with a 2012 M-22 in tow. I have installed a Prodigy P2 brake controller with a pigtail supplied by e-trailer. My question to those smarter than me on their operation.

I can manually engage the trailer brakes from the controller, all signals/brake lights and lights work fine, but the trailer brakes do not engage when I depress my brakes in the TV. The prodigy works fine, as it works in my other TV, the pigtail from etrailer has been replaced and tested and works fine. I have contacted Tekonsha and they were of little help, only telling me that the manual engage and the brake activated engage are through different wires. e-Trailer has been exceptional in helping with suggestions, but we have exhausted all they have come up with (missing relays and fuses, testing the pigtail wiring which I replaced, and fuses) Nissan has had my Armada for 2 days troubleshooting. Relays are in place, fuses are fine. RV dealer hooked up a device to the 7 pin and it shows signals going through when indicators and lights are on, but when brakes are applied, only the brake light signal is illuminated, not the signal to trailer brakes.

Nissan has been trying, but short of replacing the series of wires from front to back, they are at a loss, and are not too excited about that course of action if it can be avoided. I have researched everything I can online but only posts regard lights not working, not the trailer brakes.

Wondering if anyone in the vast helpfull community has had a similar issue and may be able to suggest other ideas to look into that may be the cause?

danemayer

Re: Brake Controller issues...

Hi Chicagoreeds,

I don't know a lot about the trailer brake wiring in the truck, but the way you've described it, I would think the dealer would disconnect a connector at the front end and test continuity of the wire that's supposed to send voltage to the trailer brakes. If the wire is "open" then they have to figure out the best way to fix it. "not too excited about that course of action if it can be avoided" sounds like them saying they haven't tested the wires and are guessing their way through the diagnosis.

Thanks Dan. In the end we will get there. Nissan is great when you come in with AC not working or window not rolling down. I have had to speand hours with them in the service bay even explaining what the H*ll a brake controller is, and how the Armada actually comes with a dedicated female connector to plug the controller into. In 2.5 weeks we leave for our first camping trip with this TV, and believe me, between now and then, I will be on them daily until the wires are replaced and the trailer brakes activate. I didnt buy an Armada for its wonderful gas milage alone.....

Thanks for the comments.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired

I know nothing of the specific wiring harness on the Nissan but from what you are describing, the issue is between the brake pedal and the controller. If you can manually work the brakes from the controller there's not a problem between it and the trailer.
I'm not sure how the "manual" and "brake activated" can be through different wires. The brake signal going to the trailer is fed through pin 2 of your 7 pin plug
I would try to find the diagram for your pigtail connection to see if your controller can be triggered to apply brakes outside of the trucks wiring system. Ruling out the controller confirms the issue is between the brake pedal and the truck's pigtail connector.

JanAndBill

I had a Prodigy controller last year. When you say you used a pigtail, I'm assuming that you utilized the prewired plug under your dash and this was the pigtail prewired to a plug specific for your vehicle? Was this also prewired to a plug to fit the Prodigy, or did you splice the wires? If you spliced have you checked your connections. I know this is something you've probably already tried, but on the controller is an adjustment wheel that increases braking, have you tried increasing it? Also, the controller has to be mounted within a certain tolerance of level, otherwise it won't work do you have it mounted properly?

Tombstonejim

If the brakes work manually then it is not the wire from the controller to the 7 way plug. It is the brake light circuit not activating the controller. Before I went to all the trouble of trying to find it I would just run a wire directly from the brake light switch to the controller and be done with it.

Just got back from Nissan. They found a break in the wire from their harness to the brake light controller. 5 days to find one split wire, but hooked up today and all works. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Armada

Re: Brake Controller issues...Problem Solved!

Does anyone have a picture of where they had their brake controller mounted into their 2013 armada. The dealership that I am working with put it way out of my preview and I am not sure where to have them relocate it to. Also what brake controller is recommended to be used with the Nissan armada 2013? Thanks for your help.