Got an old sat dish from a friend, now what do I need?

firstone

So I have a dish 500 dish from a neighbor now what do I need? Can I connect the sat dish direct to the reciever I will take on the road? It has 1-4 connections is each connection for a different TV?

How do I know where to aim the dish at different locations?

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired

Theresau

Depending on receiver - receiver will tell you the coordinates based on zip code. You would then aim as such. You need to determine N - usually start with a compass - then take it from there.

Problem with finders is they find all satellites even those you are not subscribed. You also need to determine if the receiver is compatible with the dish.

So I have a dish 500 dish from a neighbor now what do I need? Can I connect the sat dish direct to the reciever I will take on the road? It has 1-4 connections is each connection for a different TV?

How do I know where to aim the dish at different locations?

firstone

The sat dish on my house runs three wires to a box under the eve then runs to the house recievers from there. Do I need the box under the eve?
?

danemayer

Mike,

I know Directv but don't know too much about Dish. I can tell you about Directv and I suspect it's similar for Dish.

Older installations use a dish with multiple coax connectors (multiswitch). Each connector is used with a separate piece of coax going to separate receivers. Newer installations have a single wire coming off the dish, going to a splitter. There's a power insertion device that plugs into a wall outlet and provides power to the LNB on the dish. A separate line goes from each coax port on the splitter to each of your receivers. Directv calls the single wire setup SWM. I think Dish's version of this is Genie.

Not every dish is compatible with every receiver. Some receivers are SWM (or Genie) only. Some are MultiSwitch only. Some do both.

Not every dish is high def. Not every receiver is high def. It's harder to aim a high definition dish, and pointless to go through the extra effort if it's connected to a standard definition receiver.

I don't know the internal wiring of the North Trails, but it's likely got a single satellite connection on the outside that goes to a connector in the living room that's also marked satellite. When setting up for the first time, don't go through these connectors. Just run RG6 coax straight from the dish to the receiver and get it working. Then try connecting through the trailer wiring. That way if you have problems, you won't have to guess quite as much about where the problem lies.

The device at your house might be a splitter of some kind. To hook up a single receiver you might not need it - unless it's also providing power to the LNB.

I'd suggest you locate or download the manual for the receiver and see if it helps on what dish and other equipment is needed. You can also research compatibility on the Dish website.

Good luck.

firstone

Great info Dan, thanks for taking the time to type all that info. ... I think it's a non HD dish to a reciever that's non hd. I will set it up in the yard first and get it going I hope. Then through the trailer if that works like you said.

Thanks again Dan.