Front Cap damage and repair, leaks in plumbing

fish1

Purchased 2011 Big Country 11 months ago in July 2012 from reputable dealer and my wife and I really enjoy the unit. Took it in last month for roof service and was informed roof paint had deteriorated and needed re painting, $1100.00 out of pocket. I had also informed service dept that the toilet was a bit unstable later to be informed floor had rotted due to leak. Dealer replaced toilet and flooring at no charge to me (very appreciative). I hauled it back to my site and after one weekend of camping, storage bay was flooded with clean water. I hauled it back to dealer for repair and the following day, another RV "got loose" in parking lot and hit the front cap of my unit cracking fiberglass essentially from top to bottom as well as striking the hitch. Dealer has offered to replace cap with new cap and check/repair hitch if damaged. My concern is, why would roof need to be painted within 2 years of manufacturing and is dealer replacement of new front cap generally up to standard of original factory manufacturing? Are leaks common when these caps are replaced? Starting to feel this unit was "born under a bad sign" and trying to decide on trading or just hoping this is the last of the repairs for a while.

danemayer

Hi fish1,

I'm curious about the roof getting painted. I'd have thought your rig has an EPDM rubber roof. I might have missed it, but I've never heard of a rubber roof getting painted - until now.

Do you know why it needed to be painted?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hi fish1,

I'm curious about the roof getting painted. I'd have thought your rig has an EPDM rubber roof. I might have missed it, but I've never heard of a rubber roof getting painted - until now.

Do you know why it needed to be painted?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sounds fishy to me too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GOTTOYS

I have never heard of a roof that needed to be painted. I'm thinking that dealer may not be as reputable as you think...I'd shop for a new place for service...

Speedy

Never heard of the roof being painted. The rubber material is white in color and has a twelve year warranty from the manufacturer so if you have not had that work done I would look into a second opinion. Regarding replacing the cap and issues with leaks; we had roof troubles last year on our way to the national rally and Heartland removed the cap repaired the roof and reinstalled the cap. No leaks. If I was you I would go through the entire coach checking for leaks and make sure the check valve on the water heater has been changed to brass. We love our BC and have been living in it for a year now and have had very little issues with it. Problems we have had were either self inflicted or just wear-n-tear. Where are you in Alabama? I can help if you need it.

fish1

Thanks for quick responses. When the roof was inspected there were black quarter size spots noticed over the entire roof. I was told the black spots were the actual black rubber roof starting to show through the white liquid coating which, within 2 years of manufacturing, was apparently deteriorating. White liquid roof was "painted on" to restore the protective barrier. Is this white barrier covered under the manufactures warranty and typically, how often should it need to be reapplied?

danemayer

Thanks for quick responses. When the roof was inspected there were black quarter size spots noticed over the entire roof. I was told the black spots were the actual black rubber roof starting to show through the white liquid coating which, within 2 years of manufacturing, was apparently deteriorating. White liquid roof was "painted on" to restore the protective barrier. Is this white barrier covered under the manufactures warranty and typically, how often should it need to be reapplied?

You might want to call Dicor Toll Free: 800.837.2059 to discuss the spots and their recommended corrective approach under the 12 year warranty.

Perhaps the dealer sold you a "paint-on" roof covering material of some type to "fix" rather than replace a defective roof. Dicor warrants the EPDM material, but I don't think they pay for the labor or related costs of replacing the roof material. So maybe the dealer gave you the $1100 fix instead of the $8000 fix. But Dicor should tell you what is really needed and what they would pay for.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Here is a link CLICK HERE to a product by Dicor. It is used on EDPM roofs. While the black spots won't hurt anything, this stuff will make it pretty. 3 gallons would be needed to cover a roof so his labor rate must have driviin the price up quite a bit.

Since the dealer was responsible for the damage to your cap, let him replace it. At least then you'll have fresh caulk surrounding the cap. Leaks shouldn't be a problem if done correctly. I'm curious about the leak after the dealer replaced the toilet and flooring in the crapper. Bad fitting?

Snow

dont know where you got the price to get it painted but that price is crazy i dont understand how somebody would even think about chargeing that much to paint a 8ft x40ft roof ,i think iam in the wrong buisness,to bad your not close to me i know i could do it for 1/2 of that price and would feel bad about charging yuo that much thats just crazy crazy crazy :mad: hope everything works out and you should get another price for the roof.