Explanation of placard please

Tweitekamp

Ok so my sticker says numbers that just don't jive to me. It all stems from me checking the numbers on the trailer compared to my new tires. If people can help explain this it would be helpful!

I have two 6,000 lbs axles.
GVWR IS 13,735 lbs
Weight of cargo should never exceed 3121 lbs

So I have 12,000 I can carry before my axles get grumpy. How can I have a GVWR of anything over 12,000? If I can gross 13,735..... Why don't I have 7k axles? Can someone smarter than I explain this to me. We always go to the campground full of water! We are weekenders so it isn't full of stuff so that keeps the weight down some.

thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 62

ramdually4100king

Your not the only one to think there is something wrong. I weighed just the TV and:

Front axle 4440 lbs
Rear axle 3800 lbs
total 8240 lbs

Then I hooked up the trailer and:

Front axle 4440 lbs
Rear axle 7980 lbs
Trailer axles 15460 lbs
Total 27880 lbs

That is 4180 lbs (listed as 3500 lbs) hitch weight and a 19640 lbs trailer weight (GVWR is 18000 lbs). So my dry weight is listed at 14500 lbs I had about 100 gal of water (aprox 800 lbs) and 5 gal of fuel. We do full time but 2000+ lbs is a lot of clothes. According to military move estimates 1000 lbs equals a fully furnished room.

I will post pics of weight tickets in the morning.

scottyb

Front axle 4440 lbs
Rear axle 7980 lbs
Trailer axles 15460 lbs
Total 27880 lbs

That is 4180 lbs (listed as 3500 lbs) hitch weight and a 19640 lbs trailer weight (GVWR is 18000 lbs). So my dry weight is listed at 14500 lbs I had about 100 gal of water (aprox 800 lbs) and 5 gal of fuel. We do full time but 2000+ lbs is a lot of clothes. According to military move estimates 1000 lbs equals a fully furnished room.

Your generator and 2nd AC + any other optional equipment are not included in the dry weight. That's the 1st actual numbers I have heard for the 4100. Thanks. Looks like you are well under on the trailer's axles, even though you exceeded the GVWR. Did you have anything in the garage?

ramdually4100king

Your generator and 2nd AC + any other optional equipment are not included in the dry weight. That's the 1st actual numbers I have heard for the 4100. Thanks. Looks like you are well under on the trailer's axles, even though you exceeded the GVWR. Did you have anything in the garage?

I had about 600 lbs of junk. But I figured that would be what the fuel would weigh if I had it full. I was more worried about the trucks axle at 9300 lbs. I am just glad I don't have the washer/dryer installed.

pegmikef

I don't know what the deal is . . . like on the BH I just ordered, the GVWR is 14K and the axles are 6K (I ordered the optional upgrade to 7K). I seems like they strive to put the bare minimum rated axle on the rigs. Someone there must think it is marginal though, because they always offer the upgrade to the next heavier axles (e.g., 6k to 7k and on the bigger BHs, 7k to 8k).

scottyb

My pin weight is way over what the book says too

Assuming you have the Onan (288 lbs without steel enclosure) and the 2nd AC, almost all of their weight goes on the pin, and a good portion of your 100 gal of water. I only travel with around 20 gal unless I know there will be no water. I'm afraid to guess how much my rig weighed with full water tank, full fuel tank, 1700 lb Mule, and Weber gas grill headed out on my last trip. I knew there would be no water where I was boondocking for the 1st 3 days.

Mizmary

Your not the only one to think there is something wrong. I weighed just the TV and:

Front axle 4440 lbs
Rear axle 3800 lbs
total 8240 lbs

Then I hooked up the trailer and:

Front axle 4440 lbs
Rear axle 7980 lbs
Trailer axles 15460 lbs
Total 27880 lbs

I will post pics of weight tickets in the morning.

The dry weight is listed incorrectly in some cases. There is a yellow sticker inside the front door jam that gives the actual dry weight- for ours it is 16,380 or thereabouts. So the Cyclone already started out almost 2k lbs over where it was supposed to be. Leaving only 1500 lbs for cargo. 930 of that is a full fresh water tank. Looks like traveling light on water would be a good idea in the future. Enough for flushes and thats it. I can't imagine putting a couple of motorcycles in the back. Haha. You'd have to wear the same clothes your whole trip and eat out every meal - no weight left for clothes, food, and toiletries! I do feel a tiny bit better about how much stuff we shoved in here though- I was concerned about how we added 5000 lbs in clothes and toys. Time for the kids to start donating their stuff!! Still, though, somehow 2400 lbs of cargo sounds a bit heavy. That's 2 1/2 rooms of a house. It is possible though. It sure felt like it last week when we were moving everything from one to the other!

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It's kinda like the car commercials that advertise "only $199 a mo!" To get you into the showroom. Well, maybe for the stripped down standard transmission base model, with perfect credit, but they don't sell those, and you wouldn't buy it.

The published dry weight is the "bait" that gets you to buy. When you add all the bells and whistles you have to have, the weight goes up but the GVWR doesn't!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk