2013 Goshen Rally - Storm Shelters at Venue

wdk450

With all the wild midwest weather lately, will we get info on tornado warning sirens, shelters, and when they test them? A test happened when we were at Gillette Wyo., and nobody was sure if it was a test or the real thing (except the weather then didn't seem threatening).

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: 2013 Goshen Rally - Discussion Thread

With all the wild midwest weather lately, will we get info on tornado warning sirens, shelters, and when they test them? A test happened when we were at Gillette Wyo., and nobody was sure if it was a test or the real thing (except the weather then didn't seem threatening).

I have an app that alerts me, called imap weather radio. I can select "areas to watch" and it follows me to alert me wherever I am.

That being said, knowing where a storm shelter would be to house all 200+ rig's attendees would be good to know!

In our area (Texas), weather sirens are tested on the first Wednesday of the month, as long as the weather is clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dalspot

Red Cross also has one called.... Tornado. It will monitor your location and alert you to any watches and warnings... which we just WON'T have. Fortunately I've not found out how it works yet...

Karen

Theresau

My Droid phone alerted me to a tornado warning (here in MI on Tuesday this week) - really weird - blasted like a siren three times - I figured that was the issue - there was a cloud that was spiraling just west of us. Not sure if this was Weatherbug app....

wdk450

Sorry, I'm an old geezer with a "Dumbphone" .

Theresau

That's what Joe has too - and it's waterproof too.........

He calls my smart phone a "stupid" phone except when I use the GPS, make bank transactions, etc.

Sorry, I'm an old geezer with a "Dumbphone" .

jbeletti

There are 3 storm shelters at this venue.

ECCC BUILDING
In our main rally hall, the ECCC building, there is a lower level meeting room that is below ground. It's on the west end of the building. It can be accessed from the outside (unlocked door on west end) and from the inside during the day (via the History Room - LTA presentations room).

BUILDING A
As you go south from the NW camping section, there is a line of buildings in a north-south orientation. At the far south end is a very large metal building referred to as Building A. At the southwest corner of Building A is a bathhouse. The bathhouse of constructed of concrete block and is designated as a storm shelter.

FAMILY HOME ARTS BUILDING
Near the center of the venue, just south of the rally hall (ECCC) on Maple Street is a building referred to as Family Home Arts. At the front of this building is a bathhouse. The bathhouse is constructed of concrete block and is designated as a storm shelter.

MAP
Below is a map of the layout of the venue. I have heavily annotated the map to show the locations of the 3 designated storm shelters. I have also noted GATE 1, the gate we are to enter the venue through. A copy of this map will be included in the rally packets.
View attachment venue_layout_storm_shelters.pdf

wdk450

Jim:
Thanks so much for helping this West Coaster feel more secure in the midwest during the stormy time of year.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Shoot, it helps us who live in Tornado Alley, too! We know not to mess around. This season seems to be more active. The good news is that they are getting better and better at warning and preparing folks in the path of dangerous storms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXTiger

I live in So Calif. Can one download an app for an earthquake warning lol lol lol. Jim is the underground basement tornado shelter earthquake proof?

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I can tell you that Indiana is not like California and falling into the Ocean. You really don't need to worry to much on a Earthquake. How ever it could always happen.

danemayer

I can tell you that Indiana is not like California and falling into the Ocean. You really don't need to worry to much on a Earthquake. How ever it could always happen.
Actually, there's a significant earthquake fault line in the central U.S. that reaches into Indiana. One of the biggest quakes in U.S. history was near St. Louis in the early 19th century. It caused the Mississippi river to run backwards for a couple of minutes. Awareness is low because the area was pretty rural at the time.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Hey guys - don't talk about the New Madrid Fault too much. She is starting to shake again.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
But like I said in the earlier post, yes we have a chance of a earthquake, but its been a long time since the worst one for this fault. And the quakes that we have had for quite some time have always been no more than a small inconvenience that one really does not have to worry about them. But like I said before, there's always a chance, just like a large meteor hitting the earth.......