Best (least nauseating) Route to Oregon Rally

robzen2

We are looking for advice on the best route from Grants Pass, Oregon to the rally in Winchester Bay. I am a relatively new to the 5r and the DW is not the biggest fan of hairpin mountain roads. If anyone has any advice we would love to hear it.

shelsay

Hi--

Our suggestion would be I-5 north to Sutherlin; then west l38 to Elkton; turn west on 38 to Reedsport; turn south on 101 for 5 miles to Winchester Bay. You'll have a beautiful drive along the Upqua river.

Look forward to meeting you there.

Pat

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We are actually staying in Grants Pass on the 18th before going up to the rally. We need to hit Costco for supplies and doing this seems like an easy way to do it. We are in GP this weekend at our new favorite "home" park.

Kim and Robert,

We passed the KOA in Gold Hill. It's right next to the freeway but on the other side of the river. There might be lots more of the park you can't see from the freeway, but what you can see is a series of narrow sites terraced into the river bank. Is that what you are expecting?

We are staying at the Riverpart RV Park between Rogue River and Grants Pass, but closer to GP. Their sister park, the Bridgeview, is right at the Rogue River Bridge. Both are nice little parks, the one we are in has lots more shade trees and is really quiet. There is a nice State Park, Valley of the Rogue, between Gold Hill and Rogue River that is a good place. The KOA you are booked in may be great, but you do have other options if you want to check them out.

Pat and Dave,
Will we be seeing little Mandies and Sherman's at the rally? We like puppies!!!

Kristy

shelsay

Unfortunately, I don't think so. If she is PG, the puppies would be due at the rally. Don't think our whelping box will fit in the RV!!

Pat

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Pat, it is a pretty little park and has quite a following of people who meet there every summer, much like groups of people meet in Arizona in the same park every year. They don't have the facilities for a rally of our size, though I did talk to them about it. They could handle a group in May or maybe early June, but they are pretty busy the rest of the time with the long terms that come in for the season. We like the people a lot. It kind of feels like a Heartland Rally when you sit down with the owners and camp hosts. They were sitting around talking with some long terms who had just made it for the season and we walked right up to talk. They offered a chair and we all fit in just like at one of our rallies.

Maybe a fall trip there.... It is closer to us than Casey's so we can get there after I get out of school and be set up by about 6pm.

Kristy