1st Rv / Travel Trailer - Generator Basics

johnmichael

Just bought an MPG183 and plan to go cross country this summer, just my dogs and I. I have a small Champion generator that the seller threw in with the sale - my question is about how to transport it and extra gas, and also the best way to use it when parked. My TV is a suburban, and the genny (at 130lbs) is cumbersome to get in and out of the TT, so I was considering putting a cargo platform on the back of the TT for the generator and gas can(s).

Good / bad idea?

In regards to running it, what about rain? should I build some sort of cover or lean to to shield it?

Any other considerations I'm not thinking of?

Thnx
jm

berky

Maybe put together a ramp to make it easier to wheel the gen in and out of the TT or TV? I'd be afraid 130# bouncing around on the back of the TT might bend something.

I have a portable gen at the house. I've run it many times in the rain wuthout any kind of a shelter and have not had any problems.

jnbhobe

I've had a 3K Honda on the back of my rig for years, if you do it right there will be no problems.

johnmichael

jnbhobe -

thanks for the feedback - what would "doing it right" entail? The only other concern I had about having it on the back of the trailer, was drafting fumes inside somehow...any thoughts on that?

jnbhobe

jnbhobe -

thanks for the feedback - what would "doing it right" entail? The only other concern I had about having it on the back of the trailer, was drafting fumes inside somehow...any thoughts on that?

Mine is on a rack with two recieveres welded to the frame, it will easily handle 8 or 9 hundred pounds. I have never had fumes but I don't open the rear window and the Honda is so quite I can't hear or feel it running.

dewwood

I also have a generator I can mount on the back of my fifth wheel through two receivers welded to the frame and it is around 500 pounds and it does bounce quite a bit. I am not sure I would recommend that much weight on the back of a TT. What is the hitch weight on your unit? If the hitch weight is only 500 pounds or so and you put 300 to 400 pounds(generator, gas and structure) on the back of your unit you will be seriously affecting the amount of hitch weight on the tow vehicle and making it somewhat unsafe.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I agree with Dewwood. Not a good idea to put that much weight on the rear. You never want to have the hitch weight toooo light. It will make your TT handle "scary". Try to sell the genset you have and get a light weight Honda or something you can carry it in your TV. Get a 5 gallon plastic gas can that the dirt bike riders use.

johnmichael

the champion generator is 130lbs dry....the cargo platform is rated for 500lbs. Do you think that is still too much weight for the back of an MPG 183 TT?

porthole

Retired
Have you tried that generator yet? Can you stand to listen to the noise it makes?

Personally, since you have a travel trailer with much lower electrical needs then a 5th wheel, I would sell it and buy the Honda 2000is. Only 65 pounds and you can make a platform for the front A-frame to carry it.

I'm thinking there is a reason the seller "threw in" the generator.

The real important question is - what kind of dogs?

johnmichael

haha-

My dogs are the best kind - mutts!

The genny is quiet, but at 140lbs, I think everyone is right that the back cargo platform won't support it, and it ay screw up the hitch weight. I do not like the idea of trying to muscle that thing in and out of the trailer very time I stop. I did try the ramp idea, but it's not a whole lots easier.

Traveling with dogs, I'm mainly concerned about having AC whenever needed. My understanding has been that the Honda 3000i at 28000w is the smallest generator that can run the ac - is that accurate? If the 2000 would run my AC, I'd buy it in a second.

Also, I like the idea of a rack on the A frame, but the batteries and propane tanks are already there...

thanks all
jm

ps: can anyone tell me how to add a signature w/photos to my profile?
Thoughts?

pegmikef

haha-

My dogs are the best kind - mutts!

The genny is quiet, but at 140lbs, I think everyone is right that the back cargo platform won't support it, and it ay screw up the hitch weight. I do not like the idea of trying to muscle that thing in and out of the trailer very time I stop. I did try the ramp idea, but it's not a whole lots easier.

Traveling with dogs, I'm mainly concerned about having AC whenever needed. My understanding has been that the Honda 3000i at 28000w is the smallest generator that can run the ac - is that accurate? If the 2000 would run my AC, I'd buy it in a second.

Also, I like the idea of a rack on the A frame, but the batteries and propane tanks are already there...

thanks all
jm

ps: can anyone tell me how to add a signature w/photos to my profile?
Thoughts?

How big is the A/C. You can get a meter at Home Depot that will measure the watts/amps being consumed, then hook up your shore power through the meter and turn everything off. Then turn on the A/C and monitor the watts consumed. Pay particular attention to it when the A/C is starting, because that is usually the killer (although the 2000 has a surge capability). I know my 15K BTU A/C draws just over 1400 watts when it is running, but I don't know what it takes to start. I routinely run it on a dedicated 20 amp circuit.

johnmichael

Okay - head is hurting from all this research!

Decided to go the recommended route of getting the 2000i combo pack and running them parallel....easier to lift in and out, less weight overall, better quality and easily re-sellable if not needed.

Thanks for all the input..

ARGHH! Now that I've pulled the trigger on the honda's, what should I be concerned about in regards to keeping someone from walking off with them? when away from trailer & dogs?

Last edited:

pegmikef

The 2000 with the companion will do the trick. That's what I use and the nice thing is if you are not using the A/C you can just run one to recharge your battery and handle all the light stuff like your TV, computer, chargers, etc. I use an industrial grade cable and just lock them to something sturdy or handy (frame, large tree, etc.) to keep honest people honest. I also make it a point to go meet any neighboring campers . . . I have never had a problem.