3912 Cyclone UDC and water pump question.

Ultra

Just purchased an 08 3912 Cyclone. Drove it from LA to Colorado this week and on our first camping trip as I type. First water pump doesn't seem to be working. Filled fresh water up to about half a tank which should be about 75 gallons. On control panel I have a switch there that says pump and I turn it on and red light lights up. I had air coming out of bathroom faucet and now have very little water coming out. On UDC I have 2 blue lines at bottom with valves on them. Original owner couldn't tell me what they were other than for winterizing. They are also not marked, why would you put out something like this and not mark it? Also 1 more question. On the UDC there is a water connection the previous owner told me was for cleaning black water tank and it has a switch next to it. Does that switch go to water pump or something for cleaning black water tank like he said? Oh and i have been read as much as possible before posting. i am assuming water pump location is behind black wall in basement storage right next to UDC? Again nothing is marked, so I do know where to hook up city water and fresh water but everything else on UDC is questionable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Wife is a little upset with me for buying it driving it back and sticking her out camping with no water.

TIA, Ultra

beasleyrl

Do you have what looks like a handle on your UDC that will turn about a 90 degrees? My '09 3912 has one and this is what switches from the "winterize hose" to the fresh water tank. If you have one, try rotating it to the other direction. With regards to the pump, can you hear it run when the switch is on and you open a valve? Mine is loud enough to easily hear on the inside of the trailer. I can't explain the "blue lines" as mine does not have this. As my rig is 1 year newer, they may have replaced the hoses with the handle I mentioned.

We did have a problem with the pump initially with our rig. When we would turn it on, it would not pump much water and the pump ran constantly. I remember the dealer saying when they fixed it that there was some kind of filter on the side of the pump that was lose and allowing air into the system. Sorry, I don't have any more specifics than that but I can tell you we haven't had any additional problems with it in the last 5 years.

The switch in the UDC is an extra pump control switch. It is wired in conjunction with the other switch inside so that you can turn the pump on/off from either location.

To use the tank sprayer, you simply connect a hose to the connection and start it spraying. Make sure you are connected to a sewer and your black tank valve is open!

With regard to pump location, you are correct. It is behind the black wall in the basement and directly behind the UDC.

Good luck!

Roger

danemayer

Hi Ultra,

If the pump is pushing air and a little water out of the faucet, you're probably in winterize mode and the pump is sucking air through the hose that would be used to suck antifreeze into the rig.

On most rigs, there's a large diagram stuck on the cargo hatch near the UDC, or on a nearby wall. If you don't have one, perhaps you could post a picture and someone will recognize the valve configuration.

If the unit hasn't been properly de-winterized, do not turn on the electric water heater switch. If you do so with the water heater bypassed, you'll quickly burn out the element.

We have several owner-written user guides and troubleshooting guides; some of which you may find useful.

Also, I'm attaching a somewhat generic diagram of the water system. It's a preliminary draft, but you may find it useful.

Attachments

• Water System w lines.pdf
    44.5 KB · Views: 55

porthole

Retired
Just purchased an 08 3912 Cyclone. Drove it from LA to Colorado this week and on our first camping trip as I type. First water pump doesn't seem to be working. Filled fresh water up to about half a tank which should be about 75 gallons. On control panel I have a switch there that says pump and I turn it on and red light lights up. I had air coming out of bathroom faucet and now have very little water coming out. On UDC I have 2 blue lines at bottom with valves on them. Original owner couldn't tell me what they were other than for winterizing. They are also not marked, why would you put out something like this and not mark it? Also 1 more question. On the UDC there is a water connection the previous owner told me was for cleaning black water tank and it has a switch next to it. Does that switch go to water pump or something for cleaning black water tank like he said? Oh and i have been read as much as possible before posting. i am assuming water pump location is behind black wall in basement storage right next to UDC? Again nothing is marked, so I do know where to hook up city water and fresh water but everything else on UDC is questionable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Wife is a little upset with me for buying it driving it back and sticking her out camping with no water.

Ultra,

For starters your 2008 Cyclone is a very early model, there have been tons of improvements along the way, including labeling.

You have about 100 gallons of fresh water storage in 2 approximately 50 gallon tanks, connected by a transfer hose. When you fill the tanks only one fills, then the 2nd tank fills by gravity until they level out. If you fill the tanks fast the main tank will fill to capacity but the secondary will lag behind.

Since it is unknown, I would be leery of using the water at all until the fresh water system is sanitized.

First thing I would check is the "winterizing" valve, that is set to pull from the tanks and not the winterizing hose that "should" be under the pie plate cap in the UDC.

Next, the heater bypass and the pump connections. You have to remove the wall panel to do this. If your back panel is 2 pieces, remove the section nearest the UDC.
Check the pump connections. Check the water heater bypass valves. There may be three valves, on the top line, the bottom line and in a line that is tee'd between those two.

A little primitive, but gives you the idea. The top is in the normal mode, with the small black lines representing the valves. Cold water in, hot water out.
The bottom is in bypass and is used for winterizing the rig. In bypass you are not filling the water heater with anti freeze.
Cold water is diverted before the water heater.

Winterizing valves.jpg

The unmarked switch in the UDC is for the the pump, work likes a 2 way light switch in your house. It is a convenience switch to turn off the water pump once you hook up to city water.

Pictures of your UDC would help. As mentioned before, there have been a lot changes with the trialers, sometimes multiple changes through the model year. Your "2 blue lines" sounds like one of them.

I would suspect though, if the original owner was not in touch with his Cyclone by now, he may have been holding something back with information.