Commode over-filling

icechex

Sorry if this issue has already been discussed but in searching the archives I've not come up with any answers.

Problem - Got up this morning with an overflowed commode (clean water) - evidently the flush lever/or fill valve (or both) stuck and the commode ran over during the night. Luckily I'd been up around 1 a.m. and used the commode and when I got up at 7 a.m. the mess was fairly well contained in the bathroom.

I flushed the toilet and the water (clean) went down and then it was just an issue of mopping up the excess water in the bathroom.

However, I'm having a difficult time finding out which commode I have. The only paperwork I have says I have a Thetford commode --- but --- it doesn't list a model number. The commode itself has nothing on it and I am assuming I will have to completely remove the commode to find out what model/number it is.

It's fairly obvious that this problem is rare (I've been unable to make the commode over fill so far this morning), however, I would like to "fix" it before it happens again.

Question 1 - does anyone have an idea as to what commode is in my 2012 Big Country 3690?

Question 2 - has anyone else had this problem?

Question 3 - is changing out the water valve "actually" the correct fix?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not sure, but there's probably an ID tag hidden someplace inaccessible on it. But, you might try going to the Thetford website and see if you can find a picture of it. That may lead you to a manual. My commode is a Sealand, so that's of no help to you. If nothing else, you can call Heartland on Monday (doubt they're open on the weekend) with your VIN and they should be able to give you the info you need.

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUCTS/PermanentToilets/tabid/76/Default.aspx

icechex

Thanks for the reply and the thread. It appears from looking at the that site that I have a Aqua Magic Style Plus II - but that is just going by the picture. I will probably have to take it (commode) out to find out what kind it is. My problem is I can't duplicate the problem that caused the commode to overfill - so it may never happen again (s*** happens so I expect it to happen again) - or - it may 'even happen' if I replace the water valve (which appears to be the fix). I guess I could have a problem with the foot lever but - it appears to be ok. I was hoping someone on this site had experienced this before me, which I am sure has happened. Anyway, I appreciate you replying.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Give Heartland Customer Service a call. Have your VIN handy and they should be able to tell you what model toilet you have.

Peace
Dave
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have the 3650 BC and it's a Dometic commode. Haven't had that problem but just the opposite, not enough water holding in the tank.

icechex

Dave

Probably the only way to find out without taking out the commode. I'll be calling them Monday. Thanks

icechex

Nathan and Byrd

Are you talking about 'not enough water in the bowl?' - that is usually a seal issue isn't it?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Yes - we put Vaseline on the underside of the black seal ring or sometimes add hot water which expands the seal for a little while. Out of the 10 years of rving and on our 4 camper, this is the first time we have run into this problem.

icechex

We use "Toilet Seal" - made by Thetford (which btw makes our commode) and it works great. We bought this stuff at Camping World and it was suggested by a friend of ours.

jpdoggett

Yes - we put Vaseline on the underside of the black seal ring or sometimes add hot water which expands the seal for a little while. Out of the 10 years of rving and on our 4 camper, this is the first time we have run into this problem.

I had to replace the seal in my 310, I tried cleaning, and vaseline but it still leaked out, replaced it and no problem. And I am like you this is our forth fifthwheel and the time we have had this happen

Manzan

Icechex. we had our toilet over fill once when it was brand new but not overflow. Did not check it before leaving on our shakedown cruise so had a wet floor when we arrived. Operated the foot lever a couple of times and has not happened since. Think some sort of detritus was caught in the valve. Had the opposite happen with our first trailer--ring dried out over winter. Did not know anything but it re hydrated after one day on our first trip of the season. Always kept a little water in the bowl ever since on all three trailers we have had. Never had another problem.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
We had the Thetford Style II High model #42054 that would overflow with clean water (at least six times). Its a design flaw with the pedal, in my opinion. The front part would seal the bowl, but not shut off the water. Now out of warranty, the pedal wouldn't sit in the right place had a small piece of plastic break. Anywhere from $50 - $75 to replace the pedal, and a week of manually flushing waiting on the part. Opted to put a Dometic 310 in for $200 instead as I knew a new pedal wouldn't fix the design flaw. Only problem with installation was the Dometic is a "side" input, the Thetford a center input. Had to remove the elbow fixture from the pex line, add a valve (with shark bite clamp which was sweet) and a flexible supply line. About a 2 hour installation with all the running back and forth to hardware store.