3055 tracks to the right

Bill Boyd

I had someone follow me while I was driving down the road with my 3055. It looks like the back end tracks about 5 or 6 inches to the right. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what do I need to do to get it fixed.

jbeletti

Sounds like you need to measure your axles for proper alignment. If you are inclined to crawl under to take some critical measurements on your own, there are some on this forum can give you specific direction. Otherwise, make an appointment with your dealer, or a dealer or a service center. Check your tires for odd wear patterns too.

Regardless of who checks this out for you, if it's determined that you are out of alignment, I suggest your dealer contacts Heartland's Customer Service department (574-262-8030) to discuss the matter.

Best of luck and do circle back here to let us know what the issue and solution was.

Jim

Pulltab

My Heartland is fine but I had a Fleetwood that dog tracked BAD! If the truck was centered in the lane the drivers left rear would be ON the centerline! This is a lippert issue. They move one side of my axles 3/4" and it was better but still dog tracked. They had to cut all the axle brackets off and reweld them to fix it. They did send a crew to my dealer to do it though and it only took them about 4 hours to get it done. No sense messing around with it better get it to the dealer and get it checked out.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
tracking

I wonder if the tracking that Bill is concerned about is just the crown in the road. All trailers will track down hill, and will always wear out the right side tires first. The best way to tell is find a big piece of concrete that is flat, put some water on it wide enough for the tire width on both vehicals and drive straight through the water with both vehicals. Then see where the tire marks are the the concrete. This will tell you if the tracking is off.

Pulltab

Bob, that does sound like a good way to check, but I can assure you I know where he is coming from and I would lay money on the axles being welded in crooked and not tracking crooked due to the crowned road. Like he said you can see how crooked it pulls. On mine I could see the entire drivers side of the coach with no problem but the passenger side I could not see ANY of the side. We had several truckers at rest stops mention how crooked it was, even AFTER the reweld job. In fact it was the same day we left a trucker told us. But it was a lot better than originally. :)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Hey Pulltab, you are correct. But dog legging has always been a problem. Most if not all cars and trucks appear to drive crooked from behind. Thats because all front treads are wider than the rear tread width except on duelys. Another thing if were to notice that your right front tire always wears more on the outside than your left front is because all left turns are made faster that right turns. All these things have been a thorn to auto dealers. I learned the water trick about 40 years ago.

cmart

Bill we had the same problem and lippert sent the dealer a new axle and the dealership installed it. However when towing, I like pulltab still have the left rear hugging the center line while the truck is steadily in the middle. My dealer is tired of hearing about it so I guess I'll just live with it. Bill, is your an 07 or 08 model???

Pulltab

Bill, if you dealer is tired of hearing about it then contact Heartlland service. It's NOT right and dangerous. We had problems on narrow roads because to keep the trailer inside our lane we would have to put the truck off onto the berm of the road. Heartland I am sure will get lippert to fix it. Don't be satisfied with your dealer being tired of messing with it!:eek: That is poor dealer service and unacceptable in my opinion!

Last edited:

jpmorgan37

cmart;

Curtis, contact Jim Fenner, in Customer Service at Heartland. The phone number is 574-262-8030. I am sure Jim will help get this problem resolved for you.

cmart

This reply probably needs to be a separate thread. When I checked my email this morning I had a message from Jim Fenner from Heartland Service concerning a response to the current thread and the tracking of my 3055. I've owned four new RVs with two from the same dealer and manufacturer, but never have I heard of anyone who gets assistance from a comment made on a forum. Some of the most popular manufactures (as to my experience) will not answer calls or reply by mail. Bottom Line is, Unbelieveable and Fantastic. If the dealerships tried as hard as Heartland to fix problems this forum wouldn't have near the posts. My next fiver: another Heartland, my next dealer: hmmmmm. Oh and I probably owe thanks to Jim Beletti for making sure this was posted correctly.

Pulltab

AHhhh, what so many people don't realize is how great Heartland is! Feels great to be contacted by the factory doesn't it?:) They will get it fixed for you soon. I wouldn't give that dealer any more of my money if I were you.

Bill Boyd

Bighorn tracking to the right fixed

I did take Jim's advice and contacted Heartlands Customer Service. They sent me to Lippert, the axle manufacturer. Lippert sent me a form to have the hangers for the axles measured. The measurements came back within their specifications. They decided that there must be a problem with the axles. Two axles were shipped out to the supension shop that took the orginal mesurements for me. Well, I got the trailer back today and had my wife followed me home and the unit now tracks great. She could see no difference between the right and left side. She followed me 800 miles from Yellowstone, so I know she knew what to look for. Lippert is covering the cost of all the work that was done, since the axles were still under warranty. A big thanks to Lippert for taking care of the problem.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
They can say what they want about Heartland on the other forums but it has become clearly evident that Heartland is taking care of business. I also believe that some of the customer service is in part because of this forum. Kudo's to Heartland and the forum and to Jim B & JP for doing all they do here.