Can I plug into a non sine wave gen?

firstone

I kave a non sine wave gen that puts out 6000 watt running. Has a plug that says 125/250v 20amp....Can I use it with out hurting anything? I know power will be limited but will non sine hurt the onboard converter/inverter or appliances?

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I know people that do it all the time. People around them aren't usually very happy though. (LOUD!)
I wouldn't use computers or other sensitive electronic devices off of it, but that's just me.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I've never heard of a non-sine wave generator. What kind of a generator is it, and what does the waveform look like?

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I've never heard of a non-sine wave generator. What kind of a generator is it, and what does the waveform look like?

I think what Mike is referring to is a contractors generator as opposed to an inverter generator like a Honda or Yamaha.
One is cheaper, louder and sucks more gas w/o modified sine (best suited for skill saws, drills etc.)
The other is more expensive, quieter and more fuel efficient w/ modified sine (better suited for televisions, computers etc.)

firstone

Yes, that's right Bret. Kind of messed that one up. Yes it's big and loud and I love it.....Reminds me of my son and the ice storm it got us through.:angel:Would be used for emergencies only - just wanted to make sure the ac and other items would not be harmed by a non inverter gen.

Thanks

I think what Mike is referring to is a contractors generator as opposed to an inverter generator like a Honda or Yamaha.
One is cheaper, louder and sucks more gas w/o modified sine (best suited for skill saws, drills etc.)
The other is more expensive, quieter and more fuel efficient w/ modified sine (better suited for televisions, computers etc.)

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
the modified sine wave type may burn out some equipment. Drill chargers that do not have separate transformers for example. It did to mine

branson4020

Icantre Member
OK, lets get this right. No generator is modified sine wave. All generators are true sine wave. The main advantage of inverter-style generators is lower weight, lower noise and better fuel efficiency. Their electrical waveform is not significantly cleaner than any quality non-inverter generator. Ordinary non-inverter generators like Onan and Generac have been powering sensitive electronic equipment in hospitals, military installation and air traffic control centers for the last half century. My 20Kw Generac powers my whole house during power failures.

Speedy

My Champion 3500 runs everything in our coach with no issues. Not everything at once of course.

justafordguy

X2, All Generators are true sine wave and will not hurt any equipment in your RV. It's inverters that come in true or modified sine. Modified sine inverters can hurt sensitive equipment. You should be fine running everything in your RV off of your 6000 watt generator.