3690SL Outdoor bistro conversion.

alanfred

We ordered our 3690 without the bistro. Here are some pics of the 4gal hot water installed. I am using a 3 way valve to draw hot water off the main hot water heater when we are dry camping, when we are on shore power this gem will deliver hot water to the rear kitchen immediately. It will also provide extra capacity for a Bosch full size dishwasher (SGE63E15UC). If I measured correctly, I will have room for a slim line beer cooler (DBC120KEG) also.

20130601_152037 (Large).jpg20130601_152123 (Large).jpg

Speedy

I don't quite understand what your project is about. You intend to install a dishwasher outside? Seems to me to a PITA to carry dishes inside and out to clean them.

alanfred

I don't quite understand what your project is about. You intend to install a dishwasher outside? Seems to me to a PITA to carry dishes inside and out to clean them.

No, the dishwasher will face inward. I'm just using the void left by the outdoor bistro. The sales person made the same mistake when I was describing the mod . When you look at the first pic, you would be looking at the rear of the dishwasher.

MCTalley

Make's sense. We have a 3690 with the bistro. That would be an excellent place for a dishwasher since you don't have a bistro. Easy to service, as well, since you have that big door opening. You should still have some decent storage for small items in that bottom 8 inches or so.

One thing I've wondered about, since you have a newer unit with the rear cap - is there any access to a storage area under the kitchen floor from outside (other than the bistro door)? Ours had a flat back wall and a 2 foot by 1 foot door that opens up in the center of the rear of the trailer. It has a nice 6+ foot deep space where we keep a step ladder, our rugs, our easy up fly, etc.

alanfred

Make's sense. We have a 3690 with the bistro. That would be an excellent place for a dishwasher since you don't have a bistro. Easy to service, as well, since you have that big door opening. You should still have some decent storage for small items in that bottom 8 inches or so.

One thing I've wondered about, since you have a newer unit with the rear cap - is there any access to a storage area under the kitchen floor from outside (other than the bistro door)? Ours had a flat back wall and a 2 foot by 1 foot door that opens up in the center of the rear of the trailer. It has a nice 6+ foot deep space where we keep a step ladder, our rugs, our easy up fly, etc.

The access door was relocated to the off door side by the shore power hookup. I don't think the volume is the same as the rear access door version. I keep power cord and sewer hoses there, not room for much more.

Everything's a trade off, and the 3690 had the fewest number of compromises.

BobKarenM

This sounds like a great mod. When we got our 3690SL, we moved the TV from the Bistro to the Bedroom, and we're going to install a cupboard on the sliding TV rack left in the Bistro, when I get that famous round tuit. Has anyone considered creating a "pass through" between the Bistro and Kitchen? I know it would be fairly low in the kitchen, but it might ease the indoor/outdoor traffic during meal time. Just wondering. It would take a lot of thought before I attempted the mod. My mods seem to be somewhat permanent.

Bob & Karen

ParkIt

The outdoor bistro isn't something I'd use but I like the way you are putting it to good use!
Just curious...do you know what the tow weight comparison is between the factory installed bistro and your water heater and dishwasher is? Can't imagine it would be much in difference but if it is, you'd feel it while towing since its at the very back of the unit. Maybe its lighter, would be interesting to know.

alanfred

The outdoor bistro isn't something I'd use but I like the way you are putting it to good use!
Just curious...do you know what the tow weight comparison is between the factory installed bistro and your water heater and dishwasher is? Can't imagine it would be much in difference but if it is, you'd feel it while towing since its at the very back of the unit. Maybe its lighter, would be interesting to know.

I'm not sure what the Bistro components weigh, the dishwasher is 83lbs + HW heater 23lbs + 4gal water 32lbs = 138lbs. The production weight of our trailer is 12,400, this includes dual pane windows, 6pt level up, and 4 door fridge. The GVWR is listed at 15,500. These mods are definitely using up the 3,100lbs cargo weight limit. I will put this on the scale.

MCTalley

Our unit (with the bistro) fully loaded up for full-time use weighs in at about 15k, with about 12.3k on the axles and 2.7k on the truck hitch. That's with water, gray and black tanks empty. You won't notice 138 lbs. back there. The deleted refrigerator, TV, sink and cabinetry probably weigh almost that much.