watching dvd's in black and white

Milton_and_PeggySue

We have a 2013 Big Country model 3251 and the problem we are having is when playing DVDs the picture comes in black and white, do anybody else have this problem and did you fix it.

Mizmary

Is it just DVDs? Check the connection on the a/v cords- specifically the red and white. They may not be fully connected.

If its not the cord connection (not just dvds) check the color settings in the tv menu? Maybe someone mashed remote buttons?

I hope you get it figured out soon! :-D

Milton_and_PeggySue

We have the GT 2.0 system and, looking at threads that are now closed, it looks like others have had the same problem. There is no fix listed in the thread, though. We added a sub-woofer and amplifier to the system to help the sound system. Now if we could just watch movies in color!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
It may be a setting on your tv //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/39121-run-dvd-comes-out-blk-amp-wh?highlight=gt+black+white+dvd

danemayer

The Genesis 2.0 uses AVI video outputs (Yellow/Red/White cable). That has to be plugged into matching inputs on the TV. If the Video connection is plugged into the Component Video input, or if the TV Video Menu is set to Colorstream or some other Component Video setting, it can cause the video to appear in Black and White. So check the menu on the TV first, and if no success, check where the cable is plugged in.

And you're right that it helps the next person if you report how you fixed the problem.

marvmarcy

As others have said, it is more likely a setting than a connection problem.

FWIW:

Composite video combines luminance (black and white) and chroma (color) into one signal sent over the yellow-plug wire. The red and white are stereo audio (right and left respectively).

S-video sends analog luminance and chroma seperately (two 2-conductor wires in a single s-video cable with a four-pin plug). This is rarely found on new equipment and is essentially obsolete.

Component video sends separate rgb (red/green/blue and bw) over three or four separate wires. Component video is also essentially obsolete.

HDMI is the current standard digital cable than sends digital audio and video. Most higher quality new av equipment uses HDMI.

Computer video has also undergone a similar transition over the past ten years with its own style plugs, although many newer computers also have HDMI outputs.

Theresau

You need to change the "input" on the Toshiba to VIDEO and all will be well. Ours did the same and so did others'.

We have a 2013 Big Country model 3251 and the problem we are having is when playing DVDs the picture comes in black and white, do anybody else have this problem and did you fix it.

Milton_and_PeggySue

Okay, we tried everything. By the way, there is no "video" input setting; we have ant/cable, HD colorstreaming, HDMI 1, and HDMI 2 for input settings. We also don't have a yellow input on the tv and we only have yellow outputs on the Genesis. We are able to watch dvd's in color on an external dvd player, so we know there is some mix up between the Genesis 2.0 and the Toshiba tv. So we still have a problem. Thanks for all the input, unfortunately, none of it has helped.

Last edited:

Theresau

You need to change the HD Colorstreaming - it looks like there isn't another option but there is. Select that and go to the right and you will see VIDEO available. That will definitely fix the problem. Wish I had taken a screen print so I could show you.

Okay, we tried everything. By the way, there is no "video" input setting; we have ant/cable, HD colorstreaming, HDMI 1, and HDMI 2 for input settings. We also don't have a yellow input on the tv and we only have yellow outputs on the Genesis. We are able to watch dvd's in color on an external dvd player, so we know there is some mix up between the Genesis 2.0 and the Toshiba tv. So we still have a problem. Thanks for all the input, unfortunately, none of it has helped.

Milton_and_PeggySue

The back of the tv looks different; the video input has blue (bb), green (br), and red (cvbsy) inputs. Also, looking at the input screen, there is no way to go to the right of HD colorstreaming or any of the others. The only options are up and down. The tv model is 40E220U. The radio is GT-2.0 with digital 2.1 surround sound- optical SPDIF audio input with bluetooth. Still no success. Milton has checked the connections about 20 times just to be sure nothing is loose.

Milton_and_PeggySue

Eureka!!! Success:) I looked on the Toshiba support website and on the their forum someone had the same issue. This is what fixed it. On the tv remote, push "menu", then, across the top you see 5 pics, choose the center pic, using the right arrow button, which is "preferences". Scroll down to "AV input". If it shows "HD colorstreaming", push the right arrow button until it shows "video". Then push the exit button. That solves the issue of watching movies in black and white. I do appreciate everyone's input. Hopefully this will put to rest any future issues with a colorless picture.

Theresau

Good to hear! That's what I was trying to tell you :). I would have taken a pic and given more detail but we swapped the Toshiba in our new BC with a Samsung that we had in our house... If you hadn't figured it out soon I was going to start up the Toshiba anyway and get a pic to you. :)

Eureka!!! Success:) I looked on the Toshiba support website and on the their forum someone had the same issue. This is what fixed it. On the tv remote, push "menu", then, across the top you see 5 pics, choose the center pic, using the right arrow button, which is "preferences". Scroll down to "AV input". If it shows "HD colorstreaming", push the right arrow button until it shows "video". Then push the exit button. That solves the issue of watching movies in black and white. I do appreciate everyone's input. Hopefully this will put to rest any future issues with a colorless picture.