Generators

We would like to buy a generator for our 2013 Bighorn 3610re but don't know which one to get. We don't want to have to plug and unplug for things to work. Not sure where we would mount it. Maybe in the front compartment under the bedroom or maybe the pickup if we could still cover it with the cover on the pickup. Is there anyone with advice for us.

Doug & Sharen

Daisy and Rosie our fourlegged children

jnbhobe

I have a 3K Honda on the back of the rig, I have used a generator that way for years and it works great. I wouldn't try an after market generator anywhere inside the trailer only one that was make to be there with a good exhaust system.

danemayer

Hi Doug and Sharon,

To keep things inexpensive and simple, most people either order their trailer with generator prep and generator or they carry a gas generator(s) in the truck along with fuel.

If your trailer came with generator prep, you can have an Onan 5500 propane genny installed in the front compartment under the pinbox. If your trailer didn't come with the generator prep, it's not easy to retrofit.

Not having to plug/unplug requires a transfer switch that senses the power coming from the generator and switches the inputs from shore power to the generator output. That's part of the generator prep option.

Another consideration is fuel. The only fuel you have on-board the trailer is propane. If you want a gas generator, fuel storage is a problem because there's no provision for storing it.

An Onan 5500 provides enough power to run two A/C units and other stuff. To get similar capability with portable generators, you'll probably need a pair of gas genny's running in tandem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I don't think running a gasoline generator under the cover of the closed pickup bed is a real good idea.

ParkIt

I think Dan meant propane gas not gasoline.
At least I hope that's what he meant.

Onan is a great generator but a 5500 is a bit much unless you are boondocking/dry camping. A 3K propane will run the basics no problem, you just can't load them with AC and everything else all at once.

JohnDar

I think Dan meant propane gas not gasoline.
At least I hope that's what he meant.

Onan is a great generator but a 5500 is a bit much unless you are boondocking/dry camping. A 3K propane will run the basics no problem, you just can't load them with AC and everything else all at once.

Doesn't matter, propane or gasoline. Without proper ventilation and exhaust, it's going to be a problem. They make propane powered floor buffers. Workers have been sickened and killed by them when not vented or functioning properly.

Dylan

I've just purchased a Honda EU2000i. Have not used it yet. When I do, and I plug in, using an adapter, to go down to the 120, plugging into the Honda, do I have to do anything as far as switches on the breaker box? Or is it as simple as plug and go?

szewczyk_john

Plug and go on the Honda question but the 2000 will not power everything by itself.

My Road Warrior came with the Onan 5500 gas powered gen set. It is located under the pinbox but the unit was installed before the frame was completed. There is no way for me to remove the gen set through the front door system as the gen set is larger than the doorframe and there is also a cross member in the way. So I am not sure that one could be added so simply. Then you would have to worry about fuel and exhaust as well as running the wires and switches.

Dylan

I realize one of the Honda 2000's won't run everything, but I'm hoping it's fine for everything except the A/C. Slides, leveling feet, lights, water pump, tv, control panel for fridge. It's just that I've never used one, and I wasn't sure I was missing something.....in regards to having to do or buy something extra, etc. I assume I plug in, just like I do when I'm plugged in at home, and I leave everything as is on the breaker panel......

RuralPastor

I realize one of the Honda 2000's won't run everything, but I'm hoping it's fine for everything except the A/C. Slides, leveling feet, lights, water pump, tv, control panel for fridge. It's just that I've never used one, and I wasn't sure I was missing something.....in regards to having to do or buy something extra, etc. I assume I plug in, just like I do when I'm plugged in at home, and I leave everything as is on the breaker panel......

Dylan, In addition to turning off the AC, I would switch hot water over to propane while generating. While the 2000 will handle the water heater, it consumes a rather large proportion of the 2000's capability. Other than that, you're good to go.

Dylan

True....strangely, I've never used the electric for water heating, I've always gone with propane.

pegmikef

Yep, if you don't have the Honda companion too, then you just plug into it using the same adapter you do at home. When I run off of my Hondas, I alway run the reefer on propane too. The big consumers besides the A/C are the microwave, ladies' hair appliances (hair dryer, curler, etc) and kitchen appliances (toaster, grill pan, coffee pot, anything with a heating element). You just have to be smart about how you use them. Don't forget, your converter also draws power even when nothing is on if it is charging the battery.

JohnDar

Here's my question on the Honda EU2000i, which I bought a couple of months ago. Why not plug the converter into it and then you could run everything except the AC, TV and microwave, as well as keep a charge on the battery. We don't boondock, but in the event of an extended power outage at the CG, we'd be in pretty good shape. With all of the interior lights now LED's, I'd think it should be able to handle it.

jnbhobe

Just plug in your regular cord and you can run everything except the AC and maybe the microwave, your converter will do the samething (charge)

JohnDar

Just plug in your regular cord and you can run everything except the AC and maybe the microwave, your converter will do the samething (charge)

So I'd have my 50A cord with a 50A to 30A dogbone on it, with a 30A to 15A adapter on that, plugged into the generator. I've got the dogbone and adapter, but I was thinking more along the line of moving the outlet on the rear basement wall for the converter closer to my access panel so I could unplug it and just run a heavy duty extension cord from the converter to the genny. Guess it depends on how frisky I feel.

pegmikef

John, You can probably run your TV too . . . they don't draw that much (unless you have one of those antique CRT jobs).

ILH

True....strangely, I've never used the electric for water heating, I've always gone with propane.

I don't mean to go off topic - I make a point of using the electric water heater between showers when plugged in at the CG. I switch to BOTH during showers to ensure we have plenty of hot water on demand. However I agree that if I'm running off of a gen, the water heater is exclusively gas.

porthole

Retired
I don't mean to go off topic - I make a point of using the electric water heater between showers when plugged in at the CG. I switch to BOTH during showers to ensure we have plenty of hot water on demand. However I agree that if I'm running off of a gen, the water heater is exclusively gas.

How many people? we have never had an issue with hot water/electric. These are big heaters now, 10-12 gallons.

porthole

Retired
Just spent 6 days at Dover speedway in no shade 90 plus weather.
We have an on-board Onan 5500 and this year I also brought along the Honda 3000.

The Honda is a bit more efficient when you can get by with less energy demand, plus it puts the added heat load to the rear of the trailer, not under the bedroom.

The Honda will run one AC, the converter and fridge without too much of an issue. But adding a standalone ice maker will make it choke, as well as one of the Dometic cooler,fridge, freezer unit. Switching the cooler to 12 volts solved that issue.

The Cyclone uses a gasoline generator which is less expensive to run, and separates your fuel supply.

The Cyclone fuel cell is a pain to add gasoline to from a can because the filler is so low.
This year I picked up a 14 gallon tote from Tractor Supply (really holds about 13 gallons)
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/scepter-duramax-flo-n-go-14-gal-cap

That made mid trip re-fueling much easier. Made some changes to that tote.
1st, removed the handle lock. The handle is a pump but the trigger lock was a real PITA.
2nd, I made up a gravity hose. With the tote sitting on the tail gate I let gravity do the pumping. I would not want to pump 13 gallons with the included squeeze pump.

The on board Onan will run 2 AC's, water heater and everything else with no problem.

FYI, the converter on Cyclones (80 amp compared to standard of 50) can draw as much as 11-12 amps when working.