Service manager "too busy", tired of waiting

ParkIt

Our unit has been at Fife RV for 3 weeks and it still isn't be repaired on an insurance claim. The so called "service manager" sent both the insurance company and myself in circles last week every single day just to fax back the damage form, he's sent it everywhere but to our insurance and even tried to fax it to our land line! Our rig has been down since April 28th, this sucks. I know if we were closer to the dealer we bought it from it would have taken about 2 weeks tops since they are a large carrier of Heart Land and have a really good relationship with them but that's 2800 miles away.
First it took Heart Land to confirm with our insurance that the cap sag was done from tow damage, not "that's normal" from the service manager. HL also backed me up when I noticed part of a fin on the ceiling fan had broken off when it dropped into the bed of the tower's truck - it hit on the right side and there isn't a lot of room when the slides are in between the fins and slides. Shock travels and we'd have to have been pushing up on the fan really hard to have had that happen.

Either way I am underwhelmed to say the least about Fife RV, I should have just had a local shop deal with it an paid out of pocket at the rate this is being handled. Not sure when we'll get our 5er back and I hope they get the cap fixed right, if they don't I'll do it myself and know its been done properly.
This is insane...my stress level is through the roof since we were almost moved out of our house when the damage happened and we lost a sale due to it taking so long, not sure when the house will sell now and all that's in here was supposed to go in the trailer.

Just venting, not many understand being in this kind of position.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I feel your pain.
I had a similar incident with a SOB. The dealer had it for 90 days to fix what would amount to maybe a days worth of work.
They told me it was fixed so I drove 60 miles only to find they hadn't done anything!
Moral of the story; I no longer take my rig to dealers for repairs.
If I can't fix it myself, I have a couple of really good "repair only" shops I use. And yes, HL will authorize many to do warranty work.
Next question, why would you allow that to kill your home sale?
I would carry on, adjust close date, or go to a hotel until my rig was repaired. Just curious.
Hope it gets resolved soon. Trace

BTW is it Barney Fife? LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

danemayer

"that's normal" from the service manager.
Parkit,

First, let me say that stress directly affects health and no matter how serious this seems at the moment, it's not worth making yourself sick. It really isn't. I get that the situation with your home complicates things enormously, but I hope you'll step back and try to let go a bit.

Second, while I can't speak to the capabilities of this dealer, I would be concerned that they didn't think there was a problem. If that's their level of expertise, can they possibly do a good job?

Your insurance adjuster can probably refer you to other shops that can do the repair. It won't cost much to ask them and make a few calls. Maybe you'll find someone more qualified who can use the work and has a good rep.

Good luck with it.

ParkIt

Dan, if I throw our insurance another direction that would be more stress since I'd have to coordinate it and I'm concentrating on the house (or trying to). Up here its closing and possession in 2 weeks, you can't find many buyers willing to wait, its a bit insane to say the least.
When I called HL for a reference based off the list on the website that's been posted here, they had a good rapport with them. Starting to wonder if they have a new service manager and yes, I really am wondering if they will fix it properly. If they don't then its getting hauled to Eastern Wa for real repairs, some of the best shops are there because of a few production plants that aren't closed and the best tech's stay there with all the camping that goes on year round. Parts are cheaper there as well, I can get my modification list done a lot cheaper over there.
Either way I have to be over there in 2 weeks tops since work is going to gear up between the 10th & 17th...until then its just too chaotic for me and 3 cats.

That got a chuckle out of me but your probably right ;)

Appleguy

If you decide to come over to the dry side for your repairs, I would recommend that you not take your coach to Freedom RV in Liberty Lake. SEveral months ago I contacted Heartland about warranty work on our 2013 RW 30C and they referred us to either freedom or Camping World. We chose Freedom as they are a RW dealer. When my wife made the appointment she informed them that we had purchased from another dealer out of state. They told her no problem so we made the 150 mile trip. When we arrived we were told by the service manager that they would not work on our 5er as we had not purchased from them. Needless to say we were a bit upset. We went across the street to Camping World and had a completely different experience. They welcomed us, apologized for our frustrating experience with Freedom and promised to repair the rig. I can't say enough about the excellent customer service and professionalism that we experienced from the Liberty Lake Camping World staff.

ParkIt

Have heard that quite a few times Appleguy, if they didn't sell it to you then you can be on your own.

Tuesday I had the 5er pulled from Fife RV, the tow driver calls me up and tells me the battery is so dead it won't take a charge from someone on the lot extending the front legs and not checking the switch - it was stuck in the down position (part of the damage it took when being dropped). Frantic run around, put a new battery in, new rocker switch, new fuse and new line to the battery (don't know why they did that but they did). Driver pulls up and I see a vent is open...WHAT?? Someone obviously didn't know how to turn the Fantastic Fan off (it was off when I sent it to them) so after the driver took off and got stuck in traffic, it opened up and was running about 50 miles. Way ta go on shortening the life on it...
Before the driver left I wanted to push out the slides since he said they were struggling at the lot, they still are but once they were out the living room carpet was crushed under both larger slides and warped along the edges so it doesn't sit flat. Apparently they adjusted the larger slides but put them up so tight without extending them they are sitting on the floor instead of having that gap where they slide out then down and tuck in.

I got my unit back with more damage than it had prior to it being taken there. Immediately take pictures and shoot an email to the head adjuster at USAA asking "now what?". Few emails back and forth, take it to another service shop.

Last year there was a smaller RV/Trailer lot not much off the freeway in Ellensburg and I'd stopped in a few times for water regulator, bulbs, little stuff but I noticed their shop had everything from half million dollar RV's to 16' towables in the shop - and the owners were happy when they were there to pick up their unit. Every single one of them. I went up a few more times just to check out the shop and sales and the general manager (Ron) is a kick in the pants to boot. Called him yesterday and told him what was up, he starts listing off what needs to be checked...I though I was talking to the service department at Heart Land! He was honest and said he was jammed until September more or less but since he'd remembered me he could at least get our unit in for a full check on damage, adjust the slides, new pin box, and quick fix anything else so I can have it then take it back at the end of the season with the order to Heart Land for parts since it takes about 4 weeks to get them there. He's sending out his driver and I know him as well, Lonnie know what he's doing, he's a full timer in an SOB but has been doing this the better part of 20 years and is a UPS in spring/summer driver to boot.

As I'm on the phone talking to Ron, he asks me to hang on and is telling a customer who needed a new water heater rod they blew out the lines, replaced all the valves "since we had it apart anyway", fix the pilot on the stove, turned everything to LP when it was off shore power. I heard the customer ask if it was more than the initial quote, Ron laughs and says "Aw heck no, we saw they were corroded and the parts are...it needed to be done so don't worry, everything is working and will last you longer".

At what point do I want to get my unit there as fast as possible? Today!

It's also much drier there so no worries about rain or humidity and the shop is about 25 miles from where I'll be the entire season so if need be, they can send someone out.
Canopy Country in Ellensburg. The name is misleading but I'm feeling a lot better about it getting inspected and fixed properly even though this puts me another week out from getting there.

Finally able to relax a bit now knowing he will be working on it, just hoping there isn't more damage than what Fife RV didn't check.

mobilcastle

I feel your pain.
I had a similar incident with a SOB. The dealer had it for 90 days to fix what would amount to maybe a days worth of work.
They told me it was fixed so I drove 60 miles only to find they hadn't done anything!
Moral of the story; I no longer take my rig to dealers for repairs.
If I can't fix it myself, I have a couple of really good "repair only" shops I use. And yes, HL will authorize many to do warranty work.
Next question, why would you allow that to kill your home sale?
I would carry on, adjust close date, or go to a hotel until my rig was repaired. Just curious.
Hope it gets resolved soon. Trace

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
X2
I have read many of these stories like the OP. I never took my new 1st 5ver SOB unit back to the dealer. I guess I was lucky in I had only a couple of minor repairs. I bought slightly used this time and I have made a few minor repairs that it needed.

ParkIt

X2
I have read many of these stories like the OP. I never took my new 1st 5ver SOB unit back to the dealer. I guess I was lucky in I had only a couple of minor repairs. I bought slightly used this time and I have made a few minor repairs that it needed.
Wish I could have let the dealer we bought it from do the repairs but I purchased it in Texas and they delivered it to our house. Bit of a trip for that, had to find someone 'local'. Going to put a review up after Ron has had time with it first so I can post for both locations.