Sealing Roof Joints With Eternabond Tape

57chevyconvt

On our last trip out I noticed a crack in the caulking on the caulked joint between the front cap and rubber roof. Since we were traveling, I sealed the crack with some Gorilla tape to prevent water ingestion. Unfortunately I left the tape on the cracked seam for about a month before attempting to remove the tape, what a mistake. The adhesive residue from the tape was most difficult to remove. I am considering covering the front and rear cap to roof seam with Eternabond Tape. Has anyone had experience with this tape and application there of? If so, what did you use to clean the surfaces before applying the Eternabond tape? If you have applied this to your roof seams as I am contemplating, would you do it again? Appreciate your thoughts and feed back.

mobilcastle

I would re-caulk the area with Dicor. Some say trying to remove eternabond tape is a real problem-I have not had the pleasure. They do say eternabond works well. If you re-caulk the area make sure it is clean so the caulk will stick-same with the tape from what I have read. Some people use mineral spirits or alcohol to clean-call the factory and ask them depending on what type of roof you have what would be best to use. Good luck.

Vtxkid

The eternabond tape is awesome but plan on it being a permanent install... I placed it on my two top roof joints and a year later had to get my front cap painted and had to cut it back to the seal. Great stuff though...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Snow

on our last trip last week we were sitting in the recliners and started to get a bath, my front and back cap did the same thing the back cap was on the left side about 8'' long and the front was on the right side about the same length the back one leaked down inbetween i guess and came out at our back big window i soaked up water the rest of the day the front came out at my 5th wheel i didnt see any water in the closet thank god ,your lucky you caught it before it rained they say to check your roof once in awhile but i didnt think it would be a problem on just our third trip with all that said i would like to know what to use also i went to a RV store the next day and got some repair tape which seemed to stick really well i would like to us it all the way across like you are thinking about doing that way it will flex a little instead of cracking open again i dont like the water running down the inside of brand new RV.

jnbhobe

They sell an Eterna-Bond seam kit and it works great. I just did my rear cap last night, it comes with a cleaning kit and plastic squeege and a small tube of edge caulking. I used the 6 in wide, on the front I did it two years ago and is holding up good. You do have to seal the edge, I didn't on the front but had to the next year.

happykraut

They sell an Eterna-Bond seam kit and it works great. I just did my rear cap last night, it comes with a cleaning kit and plastic squeege and a small tube of edge caulking. I used the 6 in wide, on the front I did it two years ago and is holding up good. You do have to seal the edge, I didn't on the front but had to the next year.
Jon, I'm a bit confused. With the tape you now have 2 edges to seal. Without the tape you only have to seal one. Where does the advantage come into play?

jnbhobe

Bernie, I think its just en extra seal I used it where I went around corners and had to cut the eterna-bond

Niles

I used it to do the front seal last year and it works great. I cleaned the roof with dawn dish soap before applying. I rolled the tape over the edge, however I didn't get it real smooth as the contours of the roof make it hard to do, but no leaks, and I would do it again.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have had it on the rear cap seams for over 5 years and it has held up very well. Eternabond rules.