Trip / Route Planning Input for Louisiana to Seattle Trek this summer

johnmichael

Not sure if this is the place to post this; I'm pretty new here, and to towing.

Planning to leave louisiana for the pacific northwest in late June, essentially going Louisiana -> Denver/colorado -> Salt Lake City - > Yellowstone ->Spokane -> Seattle

This will be nearly my first camping trip and longest trip towing my new MPG183, so I'm kind of in over-planning mode.

Any tips, routes, POI's, suggestions, wanrings and advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance!
jmTrip

Gizzy

Best advice I can give you is to avoid I40 across AR and OK. Not a smooth ride at all.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Stayed at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone early June last year. It is important to make reservations early if you are staying in the park. Be sure to follow park rules & regs. An 18 year old women fell over 400 ft in the Yellowstone Grand Canyon because she went beyond the log barriers. Also, rangers do not give many warnings. We stayed at Pony Express RV Resort and found it very nice. It is secure, has locked entry gate, and close to highway. Easy to get in and out. Sites were level and well cared for, and you can find park reviews at this site http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Utah/North_Salt_Lake.html
Pony Express RV Resort
1012 West Recreation Way
North Salt Lake City, Utah 84054
800-780-0170 Toll-Free
801-355-1550 Local
801-532-1950 FAX http://www.ponyexpressrvresort.com/

Tombstonejim

Well having done this for over 20 years. Get out of the over planning mode. If you gotta plan the first two nights OK. Don't try too long of pulls. And, then play it by ear. Some days you might pull 8 to 10 hours, and others just 3 or 4. Don't be afraid to change your route and to just get up in the morning and say what the heck lets just pull to we get tired and then stop. There are some pretty big hills along the route you said. Unless you have some specific reason for going that way consider I-10 to San Antionio Us 90 thru Del Rio and then I-10 to Tucson and then up to the Grand Canyon and Salt Lake.

Best advice I can give you is to avoid I40 across AR and OK. Not a smooth ride at all.

Agreed and I-40 from Amarillo to ABQ can be high cross winds too.

Heading to Denver, recommend TX route that involves 287 to AMA and then angle up to I-25 at Raton, NM. Pretty country once you get to NE NM and then easy pull into Denver.

Good luck and best wishes for a great trip.

JP

johnmichael

Anybody here ever go up 285N from sante fe and then take 50 to 141 to Grand Junction?

(still waiting on my Mountains West directory)

Anybody here ever go up 285N from sante fe and then take 50 to 141 to Grand Junction?

(still waiting on my Mountains West directory)

I have been on some of those trails.

I pulled Monarch last summer as well as Slumgullion and Wolf Creek. --- Ram 350 and 10k 5er was no sweat.

You mentioned 141... did you mean 114? I have driven that a while back and do not remember any serious passes but if that is the road I remember, would not want to pull across it as it was a narrow 2 lane from gunnison back to 285. as far as 50 goes, I have only been a little past Gunnison to take 149 down to lake city and then over Slumgullion heading south.