Surge protector may have gone out

meandg

crawgator
While getting set up on Saturday the power went off and we waited a long time and the surge protector finally reset, longer than it should take. So today DS gets back to the trailer and power is totally off again and hadn't reset. He had someone from the park look at it and after testing the post he tells my son that the surge protector is bad. Then proceeds to tell him that instead of using the 50amp with no protector he should use the 30 amp. Not sure why he said to do it this way. We last used the trailer and surge protector in April.
I think this is the surge protector we have.http://trci.net/products/surge-guard/hardwires-portables/50a-portable-wlcd-display

How do you know if the surge protector has gone bad? And is there any reason to use the 30 instead of 50?

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Is it possible to try it in another pedestal? Sounds like there might be a problem with the 50 amp plug if they are suggesting using the 30 amp plug instead.
If you have a 50 to 30 dogbone try using the surge protector on the 30 amp plug and see what happens.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Yes - surge protector can go bad in that it has happened to us with our current coach. Our dealership was able to get us a new one since it was still under warranty (only a day old). I would also test the pedestal. The older the pedestal is, the more likely that there might be old wiring which give out incorrect voltage. In that case, the surge protector did its job protecting your coach. Better to replace the surge protector than the coach wiring.

meandg

crawgator
Can the RV store test the sp to see if it is bad?

We didn't test the pedestal but a worker at the park did. It is a highly rated park. Unfortunately all this happened after 7 tonight. I guess tomorrow we will have to get over there and look into it further.

Nabo

That's a good question and not sure if the rv store can check the protector. We knew we had a problem cuz one side of the camper worked and the other side didn't. When the dealership contacted progressive about the problem, progressive said one leg of the protector had gone bad.

danemayer

Call them back and ask if they'll replace the bad unit. You might mention that their main competitor, Progressive, sells their version for about the same price and it comes with a lifetime warranty. Maybe they'll match to keep you from buying from Progressive. Perhaps a longshot, but you never know.

Garypowell

Speaking of Progressive. About a month ago the fellow at the next site asked me after a bad storm went through "how many TV's did you lose yesterday?". I said "none". I guess everyone around me either lost a TV or some other appliance during the storm.....not a problem in my unit THANKS PROGRESSIVE....you just paid for yourself. Of course Friday the Progressive Unit went "down". Parts arrived today...again incredible! Not sure if they are connected or not....but very happy with the Progressive unit.

SGeohagan

Ours went out after it was out of warranty by a few months. Contacted the manufacturer and sent it back to them. They sent a new one within a week.

HappyKayakers

I used to have a portable Surge Guard. It went out one day and I called the company. Since it was out of warranty, they had no suggestions. I took it apart and found about 1 cup of water inside along with some fried connections/components. I'd bet someone with electronics experience could've fixed it. I chose instead to buy a used Progressive Industries surge protector on eBay. That one failed about a year later. I called the company and they said "Send it back to us for repair". I paid the shipping and they pretty much rebuilt the unit. Guess who I'm sticking with?

meandg

crawgator
We went out to check it today, but first we bought the new surge protector and when we connected it to the post it read "reverse polarity" and "ground fault". We ended up moving the trailer to a spot with good power. It looks like my first surge protector was doing it's job. However we like the readout on the new one.

Thanks for all the good advice.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have found that the majority of problems with power is at the campground pedestal. Now many of the campgrounds will tell you it is your protector or your trailer. I keep a volt meter that I can use to check the power at the pedestal and the surge protector..

I also had a problem with a Surge Guard. Sent it back to the mfgr but they would not replace it. They gave me a discount on another one. If I ever replace my Surge Guard I will go with a Progressive.

BC

Nabo

We also use a volt meter every time before plugging up the coach.