Minnesota in winter

Thinking about upgrading.

We have a 36' Big horn now, We live in in 6 mounths a year but we would like to live in year round. Living in Minnesota, we feel that the Big Horn we have now is not equiped to handle the Minnesota winters, Our dealer has a new LandMark equiped with double windows. My question is should I have the heat pump added? What about the second one in the bedroom?

fulltimer

Having grown up in MN I would not want to live in a RV during the winter. I own a 2006 Landmark and have spent several winters in northern GA where the occasional single digit temperature happens and it is a chore to keep things warm. As for heat pumps i don't think they work very well when the temperature is below 40 degrees. It is just very hard to get hot air out of cold air.

jpmorgan37

Bill & Judy;

We lived North of Bemidji before we went fulltime. The only way you might survive in a fifth wheel is completely skirt and insulate, use electric supplemental heaters and have a 250 gallon propane tank. We have the dual pane windows and two A/C with heat pumps. They work well down to the mid thirties and we have kept very comfortable down to 18 by using two ceramic cube heaters. Water and sewer connections would have to be heated and insulated in order to keep them from freezing solid. You would also need to have tank heaters on your unit. A better idea would be head to Texas for the winter.
Good Luck,

John

Cooper

I would not buy a unit without a heat pump. It helps save on propane and works well in cold weather. Your regular heater kicks on at a pre set temp it is worth the extra money.

Pulltab

John, that is interesting. We worked at the KOA in Bemidji our first year of fulltiming in 2005. Small world. :)

As for living there during the winter, I wouldn't attempt it on a well paying dare. :)

jpmorgan37

Tab;
That's the reason that we're in Texas. I loved my dark house and deer hunting, but sold all my firearms and most of my fishing gear and now enjoy watching nature. I think I've learned more about deer and their habits and feelings in the past three or four years than I knew in the first 65. 'bout the only thing I hurt now are 'skitoes, flys, and spiders.
John

thanks for all the info.

Being from Missouri, I was sent here (Job Related) and have hated every bit of it. Although i have met my bride of almost 6 mounths here. Now I want to get out of here. I have set a time limit of no more than two years here. Our goal is to go south somewhere. Judy loves the Big Horn but we have noticed a major draft in the loving room on cool mornings. Her only complaint is no counter space in the kitchen. We are scheduled to meet with our dealer on Saturday to talk about possible upgrade to a Landmark. Please sent ant suggestions on what to ask and what to look for. Are the heat pumps worth it? What about the second one in the bedroom. What about the stackable washer and dryer? We have the single unit now. Is the power awning worth it? We now have the manual awning with a screened in room and love it.

Please Help.

Thanks,

Bill & Judy

jbeletti

Bill (and Judy),

Yes - get dual pane windows, dual ACs - both with heat pumps and get the stackable W/D (either the ones Heartland offers or something sourced on your own).

On the Landmark, if you want go used, email me.

Regarding the 3 new models, the Cape Cod, the Augusta and the Pinehurst, I can divide them into 2 categories.

All-in-one bathroom: Augusta and Cape Cod

Separated bathroom: Pinehurst

Then between the Augusta and the Cape Code, the August is the counter space winner.

Good luck!

Jim

sidney dreyfus

using our BH in the winter

Should our new Bighorn be used for a few days at a time in the winter without any modifications assuming the temperatures will be going down to the low teens? Only on-board water will be used and not the city water connection. I'm more concerned about busting some water pipes and connections than being cold or uncomfortable. Like to get some opinions.

HappyKayakers

sidney dreyfus said:
Should our new Bighorn be used for a few days at a time in the winter without any modifications assuming the temperatures will be going down to the low teens? Only on-board water will be used and not the city water connection. I'm more concerned about busting some water pipes and connections than being cold or uncomfortable. Like to get some opinions.

Keep the cabinet doors open under the kitchen and bathroom sinks. Use your furnace to keep the underbelly heated even if you use ceramic heaters in the coach. I would certainly suggest a minor modification of stuffing insulation wherever you can - between the floor joists in the basement, in the ceiling vents, wherever you can feel cold air coming in :eek: On the bright side, your frig will have no problems at all keeping things cold at a low setting :D

Minnesota Winter

thanks for all the info. We have a 36' now that we love wit a fireplace that we use almost everyday when it's cool outside. Judy loves her Big Horn and had a hard time leaving it last week for the winter, Thats what brought up the idea of possible upgrade so we could stay in it longer. We have a goal of being out of here in two years!!!!! If I never saw another snow flake again, it would be too soon for me. Judy likes the idea of the extra counter space.

We are going to our dealer on Saturday to see what kind of deal they can make us with a Landmark that they have in stock. I will let everyone know what kind of deals the dealer is willing to make this time of the year.

Cooper

In cold weather I have a droplight hanging in the basement. I open the doors to my utility compartment and hang the droplight and then close the doors to keep the heat in the utility area. The droplight helps produce enough heat to keep the pipes from freezing. This is an old farmers trick to keep a light on in the wellhouse to keep pipes from freezing.

Uncle Rog

My Dad came from Mn and he swore up and down that the only way to keep warm in the winter was to drive 2500 miles to Calif.........Southern Calif...........

We spent the better part of Saturday at the dealership in Owatonna, MN, looking at the Landmark Augusta. The winds were blowing and temps in the 40's, the fireplace was on (no propane hooked up) and we could not feel any drafts. The fireplace took the chill off. The wife loved the kitchen, but if adding a stackable washer/dryer, has issues with lack of closet space and a cramped feeling bedroom. The leather chairs would have to be replaced with fabric chairs, but we liked the airbed mattress on the pull out couch. She wants to know why Heartland can't build a unit with the Augusta kitchen and living room, and the Cape Cod bathroom and bedroom. But in general, we were very impressed with the Landmark series. Question - how much is a dealer willing to deal at this time of the year? Or should we wait until spring?
Please give us pros & cons on stackable washer/dryer vs. the all-in-one unit-(ie:amps, capacity, etc.) Our Big Horn has the all-in-one. The wife is pleased with it, except for the lengthy time to do a load.

timk

I'm sorry, really, but all this just struck me as funny. It was 80 yesterday, and we just filled ours up with antifreeze. Going to get down to 55 tonight, don't want to take any chances.

christianson

We bought our Bighorn in Owatonna very pleased with deal and impressed with the service department the owners are great guys done an execent job on our pdi .

Uncle Rog

timk, I know how you feel. With the wind chill factor today it is 82.....However this morning I had to dig out a jacket as it was in the 50's....We spent the weekend in Mexico, without the BH, and it was pretty pleasant on the beach, mid 70's.......

sidney dreyfus

Cold outside but nice and toasty inside by the fireplace

We just got back from the long weekend in the PA. Pocono's. Our Bighorn was great. The dual pane glass windows and fireplace confirmed that we made the right decisions. We used onboard water the whole weekend. Just kept the thermostat at 65 and that was enough to keep everything down below from freezing. Just wanted to share some of the goodtimes with all of you other Heartland owners.