attractions Northern Michigan

sledman78

We are new owners and just joined the Heartland Owner's Club. We are going to Northern Michigan (Traverse City to Mackinaw City) for 2 weeks. We have the campgrounds but looking for suggestions for things to do that are not necessarily in the brochures. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Bob and Cindy Grady 2012 Heartland Big Country 3510

Theresau

Assume you will go to Mackinaw Island :).

For the northern lower peninsula:

1. Leelanau peninsula - just gorgeous be sure to check out Fish Town and Sutton's Bay.
2. Sleeping Bear dunes.
3. Going east/ne - Elk Rapids, Petoskey and Charlevoix (you can take this route all the way up to Mackinac City).
4. Mission Peninsula.

If you go to the upper peninsula:

1. Soo Locks
2. Taquemenon Falls
3. Pictured Rocks (Munising)
4. Copper Harbor

Have fun.

We are new owners and just joined the Heartland Owner's Club. We are going to Northern Michigan (Traverse City to Mackinaw City) for 2 weeks. We have the campgrounds but looking for suggestions for things to do that are not necessarily in the brochures. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Bob and Cindy Grady 2012 Heartland Big Country 3510

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There are several wineries along the Leelanau peninsula worth sampling. Our favorite "flavors" comes from the Chateau Grand Traverse. Harbor Beach is another touristy town. For a good Polish meal, check out Legg's Inn in Cross Village.

tracks

Be sure to visit Elk Rapids for Northern Michigan small town charm. That's where my dad was born and raised and I spend every vacation throught 50's- 60's and my wife and I will spending the first two week of July.

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
There are several wineries along the Leelanau peninsula worth sampling. Our favorite "flavors" comes from the Chateau Grand Traverse. Harbor Beach is another touristy town. For a good Polish meal, check out Legg's Inn in Cross Village.

We are originally from southern Michigan . . . moved to Colorado 18 years ago (seems like yesterday)

We used to pull our boat up to the Leelanau peninsula and cruise up and down Lake Leelanau and go into the many inlets to the small towns around the lake.

Lots of fun!

Last edited:

MC9

The "mushroom" houses of Charlevoix. The Pierce Stocking drive, Blackstar winery.