Slide Windows leaking really bad

MTPockets

We just survived our first really bad storm here in NM earlier this evening. Lost DISH TV reception so we watched the storm which had a lot of rain, hail, and high winds. Watching thru the windows in our large slide (3055RL).. These windows each have a sideway sliding window and are dual panes. We noticed water running down the wall under the windows so we grabbed towels and then searched for the water source. The water was bubbling in from the inside bottom slide rail. High winds were blowing against those windows, so I assume the wind was pushing the water upward thru the widow drain holes. We crammed towels onto that rail and kept ringing them out for a couple hours until the rain stopped. (probably a couple gallons of water) Here's the questions - Is this a faulty installation? Should there be some sealant on the outside? We saw no signs of water entering any other location, just the window bottom rail on those two slide windows. Thoughts?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The windows are normaly caulked on the top.
There is a rubber seal around the perimeter of the window frame. It sounds like your gasket may be the problem.
I had the same thing happen on one window. I cleaned the old caulk from the top and then applied new caulk along the top and both sides.
No more leak.

Peace
Dave

Theresau

We were in a horrid storm up in the upper peninsula on Lake Huron. Hard to believe the coach did not go over. This was the storm when a boat capsized and killed the crew (it was a race from Chicago to Mackinaw Island). We had absolutely no leakage anywhere - the rain was going sidewise. (Our 2010 BH.)

Lou_and_Bette

MT, I had similar problem with one of my windows and thanks to a tip from another member easily solved the problem...cause may be similar to yours. At the bottom of the window frame on outside, there is a little slot for water to drain. If this is plugged, or like mine, not open enough (looked like it had been mashed in a little) water will not drain and will work it's way under the bottom of the window. I opened mine up using a flat head screwdriver and leaking stopped.

Lou

MTPockets

MT, I had similar problem with one of my windows and thanks to a tip from another member easily solved the problem...cause may be similar to yours. At the bottom of the window frame on outside, there is a little slot for water to drain. If this is plugged, or like mine, not open enough (looked like it had been mashed in a little) water will not drain and will work it's way under the bottom of the window. I opened mine up using a flat head screwdriver and leaking stopped.

Lou
I don't see slot blocked. Wind & tons of rain blowing broadside when it started. Maybe blowing in those slots? Don't really understand where water comes in to drain out.