Considering a Landmark San Antonio

Greengas

Hi

My name is Ronn and my wife (Sarah) and I are in the final stages of deciding what our new 5th wheel coach will be. We've narrowed it down to either a Landmark San Antonio or a Montana 3402RL. Both floor plans are basically the same as is the trailer weight, etc. What is going to make the difference for us is, of course, price and what is the better overall coach for us. Right now we both work but I have summers off so we do alot of traveling during that time and during the winter we put our coach at the Air Force Academy and use it on weekends and holidays. I've always heard about how great the Heartland owners forum is and having been lurking on it for the past few days I can agree. I especially like how the manufacturer monitors it and answers questions directly. So, to get to my point (I do tend to be a bit long winded), here are some questions I have that I'm confident I can get answered here.

1. We are looking at a queen sized bed instead of the king. All the pictures we've seen show a king with small shelves on each side acting as night stands. Are these bigger when the bed is a queen and not a king? Do they put more regular sized night stands in?
2. Where are the hydraulic controls for the individual slide rooms located? In the Montana they are in the same spot as the leveling controls which is very convenient.
3. If I were to order the coach without the bedroom TV does it still come with the DVD player box that is located on the side of the dresser?
4. How easy is it to winterize?
5. We are considering getting the theater seating and would like to know what current owners thing of that versus the regular recliners.
6. I am also considering getting the wireless back up camera and tire pressure monitoring system and would really appreciate some input about how well they work.
7. With a coach this big I know getting a good pin box is important, Heartland offers the mor ryde but I've been considering the trail air, again, what seems to work good on this unit?
8. I am also considering the option to upgrade the axle to 8k and get the larger brakes. This seems to be a new option and it makes sense to me but I would like a reality check.
9. Last question :) During the summer we tend to be in places, like Arizona and New Mexico, where it is very hot. How well do the two AC units do at keeping the unit cool and if we are at a spot that only has 30amp service how well does it cool with just one AC?

Well, that is about all I can think of right now. We plan on making our decision in the next week or so and then hope to have our new coach by sometime in August. I really look forward to everyone's input, assistance, guidance, wise cracks, and general helpfulness.

Mahalo

Ronn Greengas
Very Possibly Future Landmark Owner

jimtoo

Hi Ronn,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I have got to stay with a Landmark above a Montana. Relatives have one and to me the Landmark is better all around. Not to mention the customer service from Heartland itself if needed.

Hope to see you at a rally sometime in your Landmark.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi Greengas,

I'll start with a couple of answers. Others will fill in. To get some answers, like the DVD box, you may want to call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030 and ask to speak with the Landmark Brand Manager.

4. How easy is it to winterize? The controls in the Universal Docking Center (UDC) make this really easy. Everything you need to get to is right out in the open in the Universal Docking Center (UDC).

9. Last question :) During the summer we tend to be in places, like Arizona and New Mexico, where it is very hot. How well do the two AC units do at keeping the unit cool and if we are at a spot that only has 30amp service how well does it cool with just one AC? The Landmark's two A/C units share a common ducting structure that improves cooling and when you've achieved your target temp, you can set the thermostats so the unit in the room you're not sitting in does most of the work - which makes life quieter while being cool.

As to cooling with one unit, this is simply a function of cubic feet inside, heat load, and insulation. The Landmark has excellent insulation. But if it's 100 degrees and you're in direct sun, you're asking an awful lot of one A/C unit, regardless of which coach you get.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Ronn, We have a brand new 2014 San Antonio and love it. To me it's a no-brainer to buy the Landmark over the Montana. I say that because we had a Montana for only a year before I discovered Heartland and immediately decided to sell the Montana and buy a Landmark. To answer your questions specifically: 1. We ordered our San Antonio with the queen bed. I like the extra "walk-around" room around the bed, and yes, with the queen bed Heartland adds space on the end tables on either side of the bed. The one on the left side is bigger than the one on the right side, but still plenty of room for me to put my c-pap machine and a clock. 2: The slide controls are located inside on the wall as you walk in. They are out of sight behind a panel door but are very convenient to use. I have the "Level-UP" auto leveling system so not sure how the regular leveling controls work. I highly recommend the Level-up system. To me it's money well spent. 3: The box on the side of the dresser is also the radio, I don't believe not having a bedroom TV would delete that. (that's one of those questions for Heartland Customer Service). 4: Extremely easy. One lever to switch from Normal to Winterize 5: We have the recliners so cannot answer your question on theater seating. 6: I was leary of the functionality of the backup camera and tire monitoring system. I have become a convert. TMS works well telling me how my tires are doing and I won't be without that backup camera again. It even has sound so I can hear my wife giving me directions while backing up. 7: We have the Trail-Air Tri-Glide pin box and again it's one of those options I would not be without. It does not eliminate chucking, but it sure does reduce it. 8: I had the 7,000 lbs axles on my 2010 Landmark and had zero problems with them so I so no need to spend the money to upgrade. (just my opinion). 9: Danemayer has already answered that question so I won't repeat what he said. All in All, I believe you will be much happier with the San Antonio than the Montana (like the 50 amp power cord reel as opposed to hauling out a heavy cord and lugging it around). Plus, as you have already experienced, there is no better place to get information and help than the Heartland Owners Club and it's Forum. You just can't beat having information at your fingertips from "been there, done that" folks. Good Luck and welcome

jbeletti

Hi Ronn and Sarah,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum!

You've asked some great questions and I see you've already received some solid replies by Landmark owners..

Should you have any questions that other owners cannot answer, I kindly invite you to speak with the factory directly as they'd love to hear from you and even help you better understand some of the differences between the Montana you are looking at and the San Antonio. You can reach Heartland RVs directly at 574-262-5992 - then ask for the Landmark team.

And by all means, continue to ask actual product owners here, anything you want to know from a customer prospective.

We hope to win your business and see you in a Heartland soon. Whatever your decision, happy camping!

Greengas

Thanks for all of the great information. I really appreciate hearing from folks who know :) I do have one more question, the Landmark is much heavier than my current coach and I would like some opinions on whether or not I have enough tow vehicle for it. My truck is a 2013 F350, SRW 4x4. The max weight of the Landmark is within the limits published by Ford but I know there is more to determining towing ability than what the company says. So, please let me know if I'm good to go here.

Mahalo

Ronn

danemayer

Thanks for all of the great information. I really appreciate hearing from folks who know :) I do have one more question, the Landmark is much heavier than my current coach and I would like some opinions on whether or not I have enough tow vehicle for it. My truck is a 2013 F350, SRW 4x4. The max weight of the Landmark is within the limits published by Ford but I know there is more to determining towing ability than what the company says. So, please let me know if I'm good to go here.

Mahalo

Ronn

A diesel engine F350 will have plenty of 5th wheel towing capacity. Payload is usually the more interesting number. If you order the generator option and the washer/dryer, you're probably going to be close to the payload limit of the truck. We're towing a heavily loaded Rushmore with a 2011 GMC 3500 SRW CC SRW 4x4, We've got washer/dryer and genny and a lot of basement cargo which pushes our pin weight right to the edge of the spec for the truck. It tows and handles great.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Here is a LINK to a great site that may help you with your towing question.

A couple things that have been touched on are Heartland Customer Service and the Heartland Owners Club.

When you need help Customer service and your Heartland family WILL be here to help. The Owners Club is just an extension of the outstanding network of Heartland owners. If you choose the Landmark and it fits into you plans I encourage you to join us at our fall rally in Vernal UT.

doxiecouple

Hello Ron, and welcome ! Having owned a Montana, and now a 2013 Landmark San Antonio, I feel sure you will be much happier with the San Antonio. I will share some lessons learned since owning the San Antonio. I strongly suggest you evaluate the recliners closely before making a decision. We have found they do not "lock" when reclined back and it is a constant effort to stay reclined. Either choose the theater seating or get the unit without recliners and buy your own elsewhere.
Be sure to get a thorough PDI with a knowledgeable technician. That was suggested to me several times before my delivery. Ours went okay, but still had some things to learn the hard way....trial and error. But, the forum here helped a lot with those trials, and minimized the errors!
As a Safety Professional, I am not comfortable with the factory location of the LP sensor in the extreme rear curb side of the recliner slide out. By the time LP reaches the sensor the problem already exists. I had the dealer relocate that LP sensor to the bottom step going to the bedroom.
We did not purchase the bedroom TV and the CD player/Radio did come in the unit. It works well. Among other electronics thoughts, be sure that the unit is wired properly for satellite versus cable depending on your medium. Ours would not receive satellite here in out remote location so we had to call a tech in to evaluate and fix the problem. (dealers usually do not have a clue on these type concerns) Also, if you get the exterior entertainment center, be aware that it feeds from the salon TV and is only independent when using the antenna. That means you can not change channels outside without additional self purchased electronics.
The Dyson vacuum is awesome the wife says. She also really likes the performance of the stackable washer/dryer and says it is better than the ones in the stick built house. Be sure the recall on the awning motor has been resolved. Mine failed in three weeks after delivery before the recall was issued. My dealer and Heartland/Dometic were very good on fixing the issue in reasonable time.
It sounds simple, BUT, in my unit no one explained the switch system for the lights in the front and basement storage area. Neither switch was labeled, and no one showed it to us. For the basement area, the switch is on the panel for the self leveling system (which works great). Not labeled so took trial and error to get the two lights to work. In the front storage, it is on the same box as the rear camera, and again, NOT labeled. Those "master" switches must be on for lights to be used using the on/off light switches. Only other issue that developed was a faulty seal in the toilet. Our dealer and toilet manufacturer have worked to get the seal and we expect it to be repaired in the next week or so. Toilet is still functional but will not hold water.

Enjoy your San Antonio. We love ours and really have been happy with Heartland to date.

Greengas

Thanks to everyone for their great advice. My wife and I find out tomorrow if we are going to become Landmark owners.

Dave49

Hey Ronn, I noticed a question you had about the 2 AC's and 30 amp service. 30 amp service will not allow you to use 2 AC's, theres just not enough power there. In fact you will find with 30amp service that you have to kind of watch the way you use power. Like in the fact if one of your AC's are on a lot of times using the microwave will trip a breaker. Just keep an eye on 30 amp service. It won't take you long to figure out what you can and can't do with 30 amp service.

MTPockets

Regarding truck question... We had a 2012 F350 SRW 4x4 and was over the payload rating by about 600 lbs. and we have a unit lighter than your new Landmark. It all depends on your loading. The SRW towed just fine for a year, but I never felt right being over rated capacity so we bit the bullet and got the DRW..... I can tell a big difference in towing and are happy we made the change, plus I've got some payload "cushion" if I ever want to get the Landmark.

Greengas

Regarding truck question... We had a 2012 F350 SRW 4x4 and was over the payload rating by about 600 lbs. and we have a unit lighter than your new Landmark. It all depends on your loading. The SRW towed just fine for a year, but I never felt right being over rated capacity so we bit the bullet and got the DRW..... I can tell a big difference in towing and are happy we made the change, plus I've got some payload "cushion" if I ever want to get the Landmark.

We figure to be close but we are also not going with a generator or washer dryer so that should help and it is just my wife and I. But who knows, my kids have been betting for about the last year that I will end up buying a DRW.

Greengas

Ok, the deal is made and the final papers are going to be signed on Monday. We are going to be Landmark owners and part of the Heartland family. It will be sad saying good bye to Open Range, the coach is wonderful and the company has been great, but it was just time to move up. I know I will have lots of additional questions and I am taking great comfort in knowing that the Heartland owners will be there to help me along.

Greengas

Ok, so here is my next, soon to be owner question. Right now I have a pullrite auto slide hitch but it is only rated to 15K so I need a new hitch. I have a short bed (6.5) truck so I would think I need to stick with a slider but according to the photos and the dealer, you can make a 90 degree turn with a short bed truck without a slider. So, not that I don't believe my dealer or Heartland, but I would like to hear from current Landmark owners with short bed trucks. Can you in fact make a 90 degree turn with out a slider? I am hoping the answer is yes because a new slider is a lot more expensive than a traditional hitch.

by the way, just noticed that I have not set up my signature for this forum. I need to get that done :)

Mizmary

We still got the Reese slider hitch. Our theory is it may not be necessary often,but we like having the flexibility since our rig is long (we have a cyclone) and its easier to get in a tough spot with a larger rig.