Scared!! To Tow now!

Hello everyone,

So in my other post I laid out these specs.

Here are the specs
Truck
Ford F-150 4x4 SCrew 6' bed EcoBoost V6 with 3.55 rear and 7200 GVWR GCWR 15,500

Hitch:
Equalizer WD hitch.

Brake Controller
Tektronic

Trailer:
27BHS
Tounge Weight 750.
Dry 6300lbs
we have added maybe 600 lbs
GVWR(TT) 9000

So the reason I am now scared to tow is because I started doing the math.
Family of 5 and our Mastiff = 830# Obviously I rounded up. :)
Tongue weight 750#
Total=1580 which leaves 5# till I hit GVRW. Sticker on door says not to exceed 1408#

So if I load my truck to 7200 that leaves me with 8300# for the TT. The Dealer said everything was fine. Am I up the creek? I was initially look at airbag and helper spring threads when I started seeing info that made it seem like I made the wrong purchase. I have towed it and had no problems but, first trip is approaching on Friday and now I am scared to tow it for 3 hours.
Did I make the wrong purchase? Or better question Do I now have to trade my 8 month old F-150 in for a F-250?

Chris

eddylives

You should be fine , just go easy and don't push it too hard , leave lots of space following and such. I have pulled incredibly overloaded rigs in the past and never had an issue.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Chris, At least you know you are at your limit and can take precautions to be safe. Try to lighten the load as much as possible. Don't carry water in the fresh tank, buy your food and beverages when you arrive at destinations and most definitely drive with caution and don't follow to closely. Airbags will help level the truck if it squats but they don't increase your capacities nor do they remove the load from the tires and axles.
You'll be OK!
If you do make the decision to trade, maybe go for a nice used F250 where it's more of an even $$$ value.

danemayer

Hi Chris,

You might want to avoid steep grades. Gasoline engines lose power as you go up in altitude. And going down steep grades is a bad place to be if you're running heavy.

JanAndBill

My first thought when I saw V6 was no way, but I've heard some good things about the Ecoboost as to power. According to Ford's site, this little V6 puts out a healthy 365 hp and 420 ft/lbs of torque. Supposedly the 2013 has been beefed on towing, assuming you have the towing package installed. No doubt it is close, but as the others said, try to keep your loaded weight as low as possible. I had a similiar TT that I first pulled with a F150 and the small V8. We made a few trips in it, and didn't have any issues, other than it just wasn't a comfortable towing experience. It wasn't long before we upgraded to an Excursion which was much better.

pegmikef

I pulled my NT about the same weight as yours for a few months with an F150 that had the 4.6 3v V8 and a camper cap on the back. It pulled fine and very little sway using my wd hitch. I felt safe enough and had no problem slowing or stopping even on fairly long grades. I just felt that it was underpowered and the fuel consumption was atrocious so I eventually moved to an F250 6.7 diesel. Best decision I made and it is a world of difference in the way it pulls hills. My F150 was just a year old so I can relate to your pain . . .

I pulled my NT about the same weight as yours for a few months with an F150 that had the 4.6 3v V8 and a camper cap on the back. It pulled fine and very little sway using my wd hitch. I felt safe enough and had no problem slowing or stopping even on fairly long grades. I just felt that it was underpowered and the fuel consumption was atrocious so I eventually moved to an F250 6.7 diesel. Best decision I made and it is a world of difference in the way it pulls hills. My F150 was just a year old so I can relate to your pain . . .

Thanks That makes me feel better! I would just go buy the F-250, If I didn't need approval of the CFO. LOL

My first thought when I saw V6 was no way, but I've heard some good things about the Ecoboost as to power. According to Ford's site, this little V6 puts out a healthy 365 hp and 420 ft/lbs of torque. Supposedly the 2013 has been beefed on towing, assuming you have the towing package installed. No doubt it is close, but as the others said, try to keep your loaded weight as low as possible. I had a similiar TT that I first pulled with a F150 and the small V8. We made a few trips in it, and didn't have any issues, other than it just wasn't a comfortable towing experience. It wasn't long before we upgraded to an Excursion which was much better.

Thanks. All of the positive feedback is making me less scared. So Plan is Drive speed limit, keep my distance, and keep the weight down.

Ladiver

Mastiffking,

Just check with the CFO first, you never know.

In my experience, I was in the same situation with a 1500HD, looking at a trailer that was at the limits. I could pull it, but could I STOP it? Well, we opted not to buy that trailer. The CFO REALLY liked that trailer, by the way. Next thing I know, CFO approves a new 3500HD Diesel. :)

So now we have that and a new toy hauler on the way. I no longer worry too much about what I am going to be pulling behind me.

Jeff

Speedy

When you say the plan is to drive the speed limit I hope you mean 65 or less. On roads with a 75 mph speed limit your setup will be quite dangerous. Besides your ST tires are not rated for speeds; keep it at 60 or lower and have a fun and safe vacation.

When you say the plan is to drive the speed limit I hope you mean 65 or less. On roads with a 75 mph speed limit your setup will be quite dangerous. Besides your ST tires are not rated for speeds; keep it at 60 or lower and have a fun and safe vacation.

Hahahahahahahaha I live in the People's Republic. 55 mph is the speed limit! That is where I will stay! :) I am upgrading to Light Truck tire in the morning. 10 ply just to be safe! :)

DW_Gray

Excellent thread and great responses. Maybe I should create a FWS badge of approval to post on threads like this.

I just joined, so, please be understanding. I am new to the RV world. I just bought a 32BUDS and a 2013 Ford F-150 to pull my little palace on wheels. The TV has the ECOboost V6 with 3.55 out back. All the research shows all should be well pulling, with a WD hitch. Is there anything I'm missing with the calculations? As I said, Im a newbie... so every bit of knowledge and experience from you all is greatly appreciated.

jimtoo

I just joined, so, please be understanding. I am new to the RV world. I just bought a 32BUDS and a 2013 Ford F-150 to pull my little palace on wheels. The TV has the ECOboost V6 with 3.55 out back. All the research shows all should be well pulling, with a WD hitch. Is there anything I'm missing with the calculations? As I said, Im a newbie... so every bit of knowledge and experience from you all is greatly appreciated.

Hi N Motion,,,, Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get more info soon from other owners.

Jim M

Cr8tivity,

I am running the same set-up only I have a Screw & 4x4. I am pulling a 27 BHS. Not sure what upgrades ford did on the 2013, but My TT has a GVWR of 9000#. Doubt I will hit that but, the one thing I did notice is that the standard tires flatten a little when loading the trailer. I am getting Light Truck tires installed tomorrow. Load rating E which are 10 ply tires. Other than that... They should have named the engine the EcoBeast! Truck rides good, doesn't struggle, but I did notice a little bit of dolphining or push/pull on the TV from the trailer. I one of my other threads someone recommended that I empty my fresh water tank as that may have been part of the push pull. Plus its extra weight. I will let you know how the trip goes this weekend. First time going over 20 miles. Do you have the Max Trailer Package or the standard package?

Regards,
Chris

Speedy

Chris, Make sure you upgrade your wheels if you intend to increase the weight and pressure on them. Just like your trailer wheels, the wheels on your truck are only rated for so much weight and pressure. Your truck will only be as strong as the weakest link.