Camp hatteras

Snow

Best way to go from harrisonburg va to camp hatteras ,not worried about tunnels or bridges just the safest with about three 5ers traveling together , thanks ⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I would take I-64 to Newport News, then go through the Monitor-Merrimac Bridge Tunnel (I-664). Follow I-664, it will become I-64 East after awhile (confusing, but that's how it's designated!), and then take VA 168 South (Toll Road - couple of dollars, I think). Take VA 168 into NC to US 158. Follow US 158 down to the Outer Banks and pick up NC 12 South. Been this way to Camp Hatteras many times, but not since the last hurricane messed up the bridges. They are repaired, but be cautious.

FiremanBill

Yep, You know you're from Hampton Roads when it is normal to go west on I-64 East...

That is the route I would take also, except you can take the last exit before the toll and go around the toll booth. It only adds a couple of miles of non highway as the highway ends right after the toll booth anyway. The toll towing a trailer is $4 on weekdays and $7 on weekends.

Snow

7more days cannot wait , still worry about getting lost , if anyone can get lost its me ,I've done the 64 east & west thing a got messed up before ,I think the GPS even gets confused on that , I am going to have to stop around Richmond to get fuel ,probably on Rt 264 anyone have any ideas on a good place to fill, truck stop would be ok , it will be 3 of us traveling together ,thanks in advance ⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

boatto5er

Suitable Fuel stops are few and far between that would be able to handle 3 5ers. There is a Pilot between Richmond and Williamsburg, however.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Snow - when ya get there, look up Larry & Sam Bandstra (southernights) at the campground. They are in a full body paint Landmark and Larry is work camping there. Great folks.

boatto5er

Thanks , and I meant RT 295 see already lost HA, ! Ha, !

Plan on using the big truck pumps if you stop at the Pilot. The auto pumps area was pretty tight the last time I was in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FiremanBill

There is an old school country store type truck stop in Gum Springs at exit 159. They have Exxon fuel. I have stopped there many times going up to Misty Mountain. Neat little place that has adequate space for the rigs. Limited pumps though so you would have to take turns.

If you can get all the way to Newport News there is a big Miller Mart (Shell) with truck pumps out back at exit 255B, Jefferson Ave. It's in front of the Lowe's store. They have the cheapest fuel in town most days.

There is also a Pilot at exit 211 Talleysville/Roxbury that's the one Boatto5er mentioned