Progressive Renewal Skyrockets

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I just received our renewal notice for the Bighorn. Two years ago our annual rate was $556, last year $612 and this coming year $751. All of these rates reflect a full year payment all at one time and are for a Full Timers Package with Disappearing Deductibles and Full Replacement Cost Coverage.
Needless to say, I called to find out why the increase was so much considering there have been no claims. We've also been under the impression that the Full Replacement coverage was 5 years full replacement and the next 5 years purchase price in the event of a total loss.

The rep indicated this wasn't true, only 2 years full replacement then reverts to ACV. We argued a bit about that. I let him know I wasn't a happy camper and would be passing this info on to our Forum members with Progressive. I have just finished reading the Policy Book and I am correct about the first 5 years but there doesn't appear to be a set time limit on the purchase price payback if totaled.

I guess we'll be shopping around but I need to call back and clarify what I've found in the Policy Book and find out the time limit for purchase price payback. At least I can read it to them from their book. Still not happy about the premium increase.

donr827

Ray, let us know what they tell you about the replacement cost. I have Progressive on my trailer and the premium went up around $75 this year.
Don

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Mine went up when I added the BC to the policy but figured it was due to the sob was listed at $16k and msrp on BC is $77k for the replacement value. I pay monthly and my payments before the BC went down after my renewal in march from $54 to $52 and went up to $122 after the BC was added. Not sure what I will do but need a full timer policy as well. Now i did drop progressive as my auto policy as they almost doubled on me at 6 mth policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jassson007

Everyone gets to pay for Sandy. Just like we did with Katrina.

That might be so but mine went down at renewal until I added the BC 2 months in. As far as Katrina and Rita here in swla some companies are still pulling out or not writing policies south of I 10.

donr827

Living in Southeast Florida, my premium for replacement cost with Progressive is $982 a year. Made many phone calls and no one was cheaper. Do not ask me about homeowners insurance.
Don

jassson007

Living in Southeast Florida, my premium for replacement cost with Progressive is $982 a year. Made many phone calls and no one was cheaper. Do not ask me about homeowners insurance.
Don

I feel your pain Don that is one reason we no longer own a sticks am bricks and I was north of I 10. ;)

Mizmary

Progressive was the cheapest we could find. There aren't that many options for full timers anyway-- and the one place we were told was cheaper- was relly just progressive through another company.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Try Blue Sky...They lowered our premium by more than half and gave us better coverage.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
My Progressive for fulltime is 2010 $954. 2011 $920. 2012 $965

Looks like I have been paying out the nose... Wanta swap?? LOL.

They told me the same thing, 5 year total replacement with like or better. After that the original purchase price... Will ask them when it comes up to renew... Am looking at USAA next time...

BC

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Yesterday, I did an on-line quote through Good Sam. It came back lower but with much lesser coverage. After reading the replies here, I guess we'll live with Progressive. I'll look into Blue Sky but haven't heard them mentioned before. I have 2 months till renewal so plenty of time to shop. Thanks!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Blue Sky has been getting great reviews on other forums, and have been around for awhile. When GMAC raised our premium from $700 on the Bighorn to $1569 for the Landmark...I went shopping. I expected an increase for a new, more expensive trailer...but more than double...NOT! We are paying $761 and have better coverage. Our coverage is underwritten by RLI. We have carried our umbrella policy with them for many years and are very satisfied.

Last edited:

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I prefer not to give money to Peter Lewis and Progressive.
I don't think the company name is just coincidence.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

Neale,
I agree. We have them now and they paid a big claim on my roof repair last year, without raising my rates.
However, when my policy expires, I am looking elsewhere.
Without getting political, all I can say is they are NOT the good guys. Trace

Last edited:

TXTiger

I don't like Farmers much but they have a subdivision called Formost that does RV, boat, motorcycle etc. I had them in the past on my motorcycle and found their rates to be very competitive and their claims were fair.

ParkIt

Foremost is an underwriter for many companies both home and anything on wheels (aside from a 'passenger vehicle'), as long as you haven't had any claims they stay relatively low. So far USAA subcontracting with Fleet Priority Services has us fully covered at $320 a month with $4 more for full replacement cost content. USAA does a full replacement or GAP coverage but it might be interesting to check it against Big Sky.

One reason premiums are going up is because they can - more people are buying full time living units than in the last 10 years. They knew they could stick it to us Baby Boomers.

BarneyFife

Exactly.

If the OP hasn't tried Gilbert RV Insurance, I'd sure call them. Not sure about the full-timers coverage but their rates and customer service have been tops with us.