My solution taking our canoe and our 5er

btbaillie

First off I have a 2008 Ford and it has 2 bolts on each side. I drew the plans and I had the brackets fabricated at a local shop for 50 bucks. The rest of the frame is standard pipe. I slide the canoe on the frame until it reaches the cab, then I rest it on a blanket so not to scratch the cab.

Bruce

Attachments

• Bracket.JPG
    Bracket.JPG
    738.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Frame.JPG
    Frame.JPG
    779.5 KB · Views: 185
  • with.JPG
    with.JPG
    660.8 KB · Views: 191
  • Attach.JPG
    Attach.JPG
    718.2 KB · Views: 157

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have a friend and fellow Heartlander from NC who designed a hitch for the front of his Ford truck to put/take his motorcycle on. This way he can take his motorcycle and Sundance at the same time. Looks funny but it works. Maybe Troy will chime in with a picture.

btbaillie

The vision problems are minimal. We have gotten used to it pretty quick. We like camping by or near lakes. We had trout dinner last night.

Miller0758

First off I have a 2008 Ford and it has 2 bolts on each side. I drew the plans and I had the brackets fabricated at a local shop for 50 bucks. The rest of the frame is standard pipe. I slide the canoe on the frame until it reaches the cab, then I rest it on a blanket so not to scratch the cab.

Bruce

Nice Bruce. I have gone the front receiver and goal post route ... question ... what are you using for a rack on your truck or are you saying you ONLY are using a blanket?

olcoon

Bruce,
They make blocks of rubber, or a foam type material for canoes/kayaks for hauling them on the roof of a car or truck. I know I've seen them at Bass Pro in Springfield, Mo., but I think that anyplace that sells canoes/kayaks would have them.

JanAndBill

Very nice. I had planned a similiar approach, only I was going to use a single post that would swivel. That would let me load the front of the canoe, then pickup the rear and swivel it around to a rack mounted to the front rail of the bed. Unfortunately my canoe at 17' is just to long.

btbaillie

To answer a couple of questions. I use a folded blanket on top of the cab because it slides easily and with the strap through the inside it holds very tight. I have had no problems. I tried the single post design with a cross bar but it proved to be too weak and broke.

I have driven on some bumpy dirt roads and this setup is very solid.

Miller0758

To answer a couple of questions. I use a folded blanket on top of the cab because it slides easily and with the strap through the inside it holds very tight. I have had no problems. I tried the single post design with a cross bar but it proved to be too weak and broke.

I have driven on some bumpy dirt roads and this setup is very solid.
Well, let's hope my roads aren't as bumpy because I'll be trying the goal post in a couple of weeks ... actually the extenda-truck rack from Darby Industries.