Geny and surge protection

Need some help have 2 Yamaha EF2000iS generators with the Yamaha parallel kit, also have a built in Progresive industries surge protector (EMS-HW50C). When I try to turn A/C on with everything else off it trips the surge protector and receive a low voltage code on the display on line 2. Once the A/C started out of 15 trys and ran fine. Is there something I can install to solve this problem?

porthole

Retired
The EMS won't pass power through with an open ground.
With the Yammys in parallel, do you actually get the full 400 watts available at once? Or does one have to ramp up then the other?

DO they have an "ECO" switch - idle down switch" If so try starting hte AC with the ECO mode off.

Have you tried it with the thermostat set to on? this way at start up the HVAC fan will be in the "run" mode, reduced amp draw when the compressor starts up in the "start" draw.

brianharrison

If it is the low voltage trip - then try the fan always on trick that Duane suggests - then the compressor on when calling for cooling.

Are you running a long extension cord - small gauge? Try 50 amp into 30 amp dogbone and then 30 amp twist lock. I assume there is a 30 amp twist lock connector on your parallel kit. A long extension cord can create voltage drop.

As a last resort - your gens may not be putting out full amps on load? Have you had them into a shop to test? I am aware of other gens being low on rated output - wires loose inside. Or voltage regulator may be faulty in the gens? Just thinking out loud.

There are some that have installed a soft start capacitor on the ACs - I will go look for the link. Here is one on ModMyRV(dot)com.

Brian

Thanks everyone for the help, tried today with the fan first and then a/c. Overload protection light comes on on one generator, tried re-setting and plugging the kit in the other way, same generator overload light comes on. Tried both generators on there own with a medium load and they both work fine. Calling Yamaha dealer tomorrow and will let you know.

Last edited: