Really Noisy Ceiling Fan. Anyone else?

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Having unseasonably warm weather here, so turned on the living room ceiling fan this weekend. Really noisy. Don't know if this is common considering the less than solid mounting place, (living room vent) or should we put it on our repair list? We did turn it on during our PDI, but just to make sure there was power to it. Noisy at all three speeds.

jpmorgan37

slmayor:

Are you talking about the 36 inch ceiling fan or the Fantastic Fan. The ceiling fan is really quiet, but the Fantastic Fan makes a reasonable amount of noise, depending on speed setting. The higher the speed, the more noise it makes.

John

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Our ceiling fan is also quiet. It's still on our repair list though, as every time we travel the mounting ring comes loose from the ceiling.

Ron Schoner

Tin Star
No noisy. Glob on light keeps falling off. replaced by dealer. Now we take it down/put it up. Can't keep the screws tight.

Ron

slmayor

Thanks, Nothing better than getting info straight from other owners. I'll add it to my very small list of items that need to be fixed. It's the ceiling fan, not the fantastic fan. Lots of rattle and noise in any speed.
I know we could probably fix it ourselves, but will take advantage of the warranty with our first new RV. After all the others we've fixed, it seems pretty cool to us for it to be someone else's problem. :)

jpmorgan37

Ron;

Loosen the screws and put a drop of finger nail polish on them and screw them up snug. That should keep them from backing out.

John

jjbowl

You might check the screws holding the fan blades. Our fan was making noise and I found that there was only one screw instead of two installed in the arms holding the fan blades.The blades were loose enough that the arms were hitting the motor housing making quite a racket.

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
Our ceiling fan never worked. The dealer ordered us a new one but it was shipped to another dealer which wasnt found out until we had left the area. They are going to ship it to a dealer near us when we get to Houston so we can have it installed.

My concern is, when we travelled yesterday (about 20 miles to a dump station), we opened our rig back up and one of the blades had snapped in half. We could see where one of the slideouts trim was damaged by contact. I guess you have to make sure the fan blades are positioned correctly before moving the rig. Not a huge deal as the fan is being replaced anyways, something to watch out for though.

jbeletti

That's not right. One should "not" have to be careful in positioning the fan blades before bringing in the slides. Sounds like a placement problem.

Please take a couple of pictures and send them into Heartland Customer Service Manager, Jim Fenner (call him first at 574-262-8030).

You want to make sure in advance if possible, that the replacement fan that was shipped is either shorter than the current one or that the ceiling placement will be different.

Best of luck,

Jim

slmayor

Well, checked this morning and we were missing one screw that holds the blade on. Tightened the remaining one so the blade couldn't move and did get rid of the "thunk, thunk" noise. Still a loud growl from the motor though, so will keep it on the list. With ceiling fans everywhere in our house, I kinda know what they "should" sound like. LOL

jimtoo

We had the motor noise in our ceiling fan, they sent me another one to replace it and it was really bad. What I did was to drop or move the fan away from the ceiling with rubber insulators I made, only dropped it about 1/2" or less. I still have plenty of clearance between slides and fan when closing. The original installation is the fan motor is screwed tight to the ceiling with no insulation between motor and ceiling joist, and this transfers the normal cheap motor humm to the ceiling joist and makes the ceiling like a speaker.

Jim
The other Jim.None

slmayor

Jim,
how did you make the insulators? And how did you move the fan housing cover away from the ceiling? When we looked at the fan last night, that was exactly my thought about the ceiling. Ours is mounted on a recessed plastic cover that is where an additional vent opening would be. Seemed to amplify any motor noise with vibrations from the plastic.