Just Purchased a Gateway 3650BH, First Impressions

kernst

After a couple weeks, and numerous “interviews”, my wife and I are now proud parents of a 2014 Heartland Gateway 3650BH. We brought the unit home Saturday afternoon and we are so excited. We have a short weekend trip planed soon, and CANNOT wait to go camping in the new rig.

We had a smaller bumper pull trailer prior to this one, and started looking for something with more room in the master bedroom and a larger bathroom with a full sized shower. Now that I have a larger truck, a 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel is an option. Longer trips have been coming up in conversations lately, so the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel idea was a natural choice. Our last trailer was a bunk house, and with two kids and the occasion friend or two the bunk house floor plan was a necessity. We also had an outdoor kitchen that we used quite a bit in the last trailer, so an outdoor kitchen on the new unit was high on the priority list as well. Finally, with the majority of our camping being done here in Oklahoma, plenty of air conditioning was in order, with two AC units being our preference.

Along came the Heartland Gateway series and the 3650BH. It was love at first sight. We’d seen the unit online and found a local dealer that had one on the lot. I meet my wife there after work one evening that was pretty much it. We came back a couple days later to look again and started talking numbers. A few days later the entire family spent the whole day looking at trailers at numerous other local dealers, just to make sure there wasn't anything out there that we liked better. That evening we stopped back by the Heartland dealer and put down a deposit on the 3650BH. We could not find anything else that fit our family’s needs like the Gateway 3650BH did.

Both my wife and I were impressed with the build quality of the Gateway units. Sure there were some trim features that need to be touched up, but that seems to be the way of the RV industry anymore, leaving the finally details to the dealer to fix as “warranty issues”. But it was nothing major, just that “I want everything to be perfect if I’m spending that kind of money” kind of an attitude.

One thing that drew us to the Gateway was the interior decor and color scheme. We both loved the colors, and everything seems to “just fit”. You can definitely tell that it was NOT decorated by a bunch of engineers. And that’s a good thing. The unit feels very comfortable, and I might even go so far as to say the decor is soothing and relaxing. It makes the trailer feel very much like a home.

Of course the kids like the bunk room, and now they have their own half bath. The half bath back there has its own entrance/exit door, which is nice when outside and you just need to come in to potty real quick, but I’m a bit worried about the kids having easy access in and out. We’ll just have to set some rules and bust some butts if they try sneaking out in the middle of the night or anything like that. ;-)

Already I've added a battery cut-off switch in the battery compartment (for use while in storage), and a couple Camco screen door cross bars. I will also be adding a Progressive Industries EMS, but I need to evaluate if I can install the internal unit vs the portable outdoor unit. I’d prefer the internal unit, but I’m not sure how accessible the wires are, I’ll know here in a few days when I have time to open up a few of the panels and take a peak in there. We also fell in love with the Oxygenics shower head I installed in out last trailer. I’ll give the shower head a trial run a time or two, as it looks much better than the cheap plastic shower head that you typically see in a trailer, but the Oxygenics head is ready to be installed at a moments notice should the need arise.

I will update this thread with comments after our first outing, for those interested in the “on the job” functionality of the new trailer. I’m also more than happy to answer any questions about the 3650BH that anyone has, since they are relatively new to the Gateway line. Well I guess the whole Gateway line is pretty new, with the 3650 being the “youngest”. Also, thanks to those here on the owners’ forum that answered my pre-sales questions, you all are great. I hope I can be as helpful to others as you all were to me.

p.s. I just uploaded a couple pics to the photos area of the Gateway Community.

dalspot

Congrats!! Just close the door grab handle across that back door at night - they won't be going anywhere ;)

kernst

Pulled the trailer down to our favorite local state park last night. Around here you have to have your unit onsite (and paid for) a few days in advance if you want a spot that weekend. Good thing I did, the camp ground was about 80% full last night. The Gateway pulled like a dream. SOOOO much easier than the bumper pull we traded in. A little bit of chucking along the way, but nothing too bad. I'll wait until we have the new rig full loaded and balanced out before I but too much effort into solving the chucking issue. It's already been suggested that I lower the hitch a bit, and/or install a MorRyde pin box. I'll try the easy/free options first and see where that gets me. I was told last night that I should look into some air bags for my F250 as well. Another research project I guess.

Once on site I was amazed at how easy it was to set up the unit. I'm used to a 1+ hour ordeal that involves getting the weight distribution bars off, trailer level, emptying the storage compartment to get that one fitting all the way in the middle somewhere (not enough storage), power hooked up here, water there, sewer yet another place, etc. etc. I would have been tired from fighting the bumper pull the whole way there, and then flat exhausted after finally getting everything set up. With this new trailer it's just so much easier, and less stress on me. Look at all the money I'm going to save in anxiety meds. :)

Everything is functioning as expected. Landing gear, rear stabilizers, slide outs, AC, lights, water, toilets, sinks, and TVs are all in great shape.

We did have one causality thought. One of the screw in glass light fixtures that cover the LED lights fell off while towing and shattered all over the kitchen counter. I'm going to email the dealership today to see if there's anything they can do to replace it. It's not really their fault, but it's not really mine either. Not sure why the glass would have been that loose, it's odd. We have since went around to all the other fixtures I could reach to make sure they were screwed in tightly. I'll need to bring step stool back later this week to reach the rest.

danemayer

One of the screw in glass light fixtures that cover the LED lights fell off while towing and shattered all over the kitchen counter. I'm going to email the dealership today to see if there's anything they can do to replace it.
You might just call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They can probably ship you a replacement. Going through the dealer will just slow things down and cost Heartland more.

Espostal

Congrats on the trailer. It was funny to hear your story. The exact same thing happened to us. We walked into this trailer and 20 minutes later we bought it. That was after three days of walking our city wide RV show.

We have 5 kids and I was hoping you could measure something for me. I want to see about installing a dishwasher. We'll have a lot of dishes to to the amount of people in our family. The trailer will be stationary so water limits won't be a concern. Below is the link to the dishwasher.

http://www.camperpartsworld.com/VestaCamperDishwasherCountertop.html

I think there's a standing chance this will fit under the sink or somewhere in the kitchen since it's bigger than most. Basically I want us to spend more time together than cleaning. It would be worth it to me for the few hundred dollars it would cost to buy one. 22-11/16”W x 17-1/4”H x 19-11/16”D

Can't wait to get my family in ours. It won't be for at least 3 months though. Thanks for measuring it for me.

mobilcastle

Glad to hear you are a happy camper. I also installed a Progressive power controller and decided to use the one you put in the interior of the coach-it was easy to put in. Good luck.

kernst

Congrats on the trailer. It was funny to hear your story. The exact same thing happened to us. We walked into this trailer and 20 minutes later we bought it. That was after three days of walking our city wide RV show.

We have 5 kids and I was hoping you could measure something for me. I want to see about installing a dishwasher. We'll have a lot of dishes to to the amount of people in our family. The trailer will be stationary so water limits won't be a concern. Below is the link to the dishwasher.

http://www.camperpartsworld.com/VestaCamperDishwasherCountertop.html

I think there's a standing chance this will fit under the sink or somewhere in the kitchen since it's bigger than most. Basically I want us to spend more time together than cleaning. It would be worth it to me for the few hundred dollars it would cost to buy one. 22-11/16”W x 17-1/4”H x 19-11/16”D

Can't wait to get my family in ours. It won't be for at least 3 months though. Thanks for measuring it for me.

Dang, I was over at the storage lot Monday afternoon checking on the rig. I didn't see this post until later, else I would have measured for you while I was there. I'd be more than happy to measure for you next time I'm over there, possibly this weekend or next. I'm willing to bet it's going to be a pretty tight squeeze under the sink without some carpentry work removing the little piece of framing between the doors there under the sink. Would you be opposed to the dishwasher being on top of the kitchen counter? There's a little "nook" there in the "back" of the kitchen (below the TV and cabinets) that it might fit in. I'll measure, get some pix of both areas, and let you know what I find.

Espostal

Dang, I was over at the storage lot Monday afternoon checking on the rig. I didn't see this post until later, else I would have measured for you while I was there. I'd be more than happy to measure for you next time I'm over there, possibly this weekend or next. I'm willing to bet it's going to be a pretty tight squeeze under the sink without some carpentry work removing the little piece of framing between the doors there under the sink. Would you be opposed to the dishwasher being on top of the kitchen counter? There's a little "nook" there in the "back" of the kitchen (below the TV and cabinets) that it might fit in. I'll measure, get some pix of both areas, and let you know what I find.

That would be great. I bet I can cut that piece of wood and then glue it to one of the doors. This way when it's closed you close the door with the wood glued to it first and then the other door and you would never know. Would have to match the stain somehow. I think height would be the only question.

kernst

That would be great. I bet I can cut that piece of wood and then glue it to one of the doors. This way when it's closed you close the door with the wood glued to it first and then the other door and you would never know. Would have to match the stain somehow. I think height would be the only question.

We took the trailer out to a local State Park this weekend, we have been having camping withdrawls since we were last out Thanksgiving weekend. Turned out to be a beautiful weekend, 60+ during the day, upper 30s at night, hardly any wind. Back to work this morning and it was 18 degrees and extremely windy. Not sure how we managed that, but it turned out perfect for us.

I was able to get measurements for you. Under the kitchen sink, the door frame is 36" wide by 26" high and is 18" deep. There is a 4" vertical piece of framing in the middle, which leave you with two 16" x 26" openings. Behind the doors you have an area that is 42" wide by 18" deep. However, the problem you are going to run into is the plumbing. There is roughly 15" of vertical space under the p-trap. So even if you could get the dishwasher in on the right side, you'll still have an issue with the 18" of depth there under the sink (the dishwasher needs almost 20" I believe).

You'll run into the same issue if you try to put the dishwasher up on top of the counter to the left of the sink. That area measures 26"w x 17"h x 15"d. Assuming it can truly fit within the 17" height there, the dishwasher would be hanging off the front of the counter top about 5". Attached are a couple of pics for visuals of the two areas.

underSink.jpg kitchenCountertop.jpg

Espostal

Thanks for the reply. Sorry It took so long for me. We just got our camper this weekend. Have had some issues out the gate. Fridge didn't work all weekend and non of the plugs in the main living area. Hopefully someone will help us get this fixed. Thanks again for those measurements.

kenb

What vehicle do you use to tow the trailer? I have a Gaterway 3200 and want to trade for a 3650BH. Presently using a CHevy Duramax 2500HD.

kernst

What vehicle do you use to tow the trailer? I have a Gateway 3200 and want to trade for a 3650BH. Presently using a CHevy Duramax 2500HD.

I'm pulling our 3650BH with a 2011 Ford F250 Diesel and it pulls wonderfully. You should be fine with 2500HD. My in-laws tow a heavier 5th wheel trailer with a older 2500 diesel and have had no issues.

I weighed the trailer last year at a CAT scale. Loaded with gear, no food/drinks, empty tanks, it weighed in at 14,220 lbs. It has a 2,300 lb pin weight. Also keep in mind, while the model number 3650 suggests 36 foot length (I believe that means 36' of living space) it is 41' from pin to rear bumper.