Buying new 2011 Focus - Propane Tank Questions 30lb or 20lb?

wb2nco

Buying a new 2011 Focus this week - There are two 30lbs propane tanks on the trailer. OEM Heartland standards states that their trailers all come with two 20lbs tanks. We do have the option to do either the 20 or 30 lbs setup. I might also mention that we very seldom dry camp. From what I understand there would be a 42 pound difference. Which would you are recommend? Going with the 30lbs setup or make them switch the tanks to the 20lbs setup?

John

EandJ

20 lb cylinders are real easy to swap out at Walmart, Home Depot, Walgreens, etc when empty vs. having to find a refill location for 30 lb cylinders. If you don't need the extra capacity for boondocking - I'd say save the weight.

danemayer

Hi wb2nco,

Even if not boondocking, if you use your trailer in cool Colorado weather and run the furnace, you'll want the larger tanks. At 20 degrees (F), a 30# tank that's 40% full will barely run a 42,000 btu furnace because the pressure drops as temps drop. That means after burning off 18# of propane from the 30# tank, you may have to switch tanks. With 20# tanks, you may hit that threshold after burning 12#.

But if you don't plan on running the furnace, maybe you ought to go with the lighter tanks.

DonnyB007

I am happy I chose 30 pound cylinders. I live in Northern, Ontario but do about 3000 miles a year with my trailer.

Eddhuy

I'd go with the 30 pound tanks, my Prowler only had 15 pound tanks, I was not so happy with that. Go back a few years and it seems even the small TTs had 30 pound tanks, and they consumed less propane overall. They knew what they were doing back then.