Goodyear G614

Snowbirds

We just ordered a 2014 Bighorn 3585 with the Goodyear G614s on it from the factory. I've blown 3 Goodyear Marathons, two this last April. Goodyear paid for the tires and the damage to the rig.

jimtoo

Hi Snowbirds,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Enjoy the forum and your new Bighorn. Join us at a rally when you can so you can meet lots of great folks.

Jim M

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I've been happy with my G614's, so far. They are about 1 year old and have 5K miles on them.

I got about 15K miles from my original factory Sailun tires.
Probably would have gotten more, but I was not diligent about keeping them inflated so I had severe edge wear. Trace

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Congratulations. Goodyear stands behind their products as they have reimbursed me for the damages caused by two G614s that lost their tread. I now have Goodyear G614 17.5" tires. They are H rated.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I have 10,000 miles on my G614s and they still look almost new. I keep them at 110psi and check them regularly for pressure, temp, and general condition (looking for cracks, bubbles, etc). I am very happy with them and expect to reach a five year age switch over before wearing the tread down. (Knocking on all the wood I can find!)

Bobby A

I've had my G's for 4 years and probably around 10K miles on them, I also keep them at 110psi, my only issue is I wish someone could tell me why the door side front and rear tires have like rubber shavings on the outside of the tire while traveling. Its been this way since the coach was brand new and I've yet to get a reason why.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Great tires! I had G614's until a couple months ago. After 5 years I lost 2 tires on the right side. I firmly believe to a big pothole. I did not keep the carcasses but our local dealer said that since they were over the 5 year mark, they wouldn't have had any warrantee. They were replaced with Hercules tires because that's what was available from the road service guys. They seem OK so far. New G614's would have cost just over $1400.

57chevyconvt

I agree, my G614's have about 20K and are still in very good condition after two years of service. The high mileage is due to the trip to Alaska last summer. They are expensive but well worth the expense due to piece of mind while running down the road at 70 mph.

mobilcastle

I've been happy with my G614's, so far. They are about 1 year old and have 5K miles on them.

I got about 15K miles from my original factory Sailun tires.
Probably would have gotten more, but I was not diligent about keeping them inflated so I had severe edge wear. Trace
I have the original Sailon's that came with the rig and they are excellent tires. I hope they are still available when I need to change since I have never read about one of them blowing up yet! Their price will not take you to the cleaners. http://simpletire.com/sailun-235-85r16-8244393-tires

Lou_and_Bette

I've had my G's for 4 years and probably around 10K miles on them, I also keep them at 110psi, my only issue is I wish someone could tell me why the door side front and rear tires have like rubber shavings on the outside of the tire while traveling. Its been this way since the coach was brand new and I've yet to get a reason why.

Bobby, have you investigated an alignment problem?

TXTiger

I went with the Michelin XBS Ribs. Have not heard of one blow out or complaint with them and no need for any reimbursement for damage! Also only need to air up to 80 psi.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I went with the Michelin XBS Ribs. Have not heard of one blow out or complaint with them and no need for any reimbursement for damage! Also only need to air up to 80 psi.
If you are using the same size tires as originally delivered on the rig as well as the same size wheels the tires should be aired to the pressure posted on the sticker on the side of the coach. Just because the tires or wheels are approved to a higher pressure does not mean that's what they should be aired to.
Inflating to a higher pressure will reduce the contact area with the pavement. This leads to uneven wear and reduced brake effectiveness to name a few. Just like your car, the tires are rated for a higher pressure than is needed in most cases!

jimtoo

Is that a typo.... XBS??? Should it be ..XPS? I cannot find anything with XBS.

Eddhuy

I thought a good rule of thumb was to replace the trailer tires at five years regardless of how much tread was left and if from China replace at three years?

Bobby A

Seen this on one of the stock trailers. One of the Torsion axles was bent. the tires are still on another trailer and are over 10 years old so they do last.
Hi guys, I did have it looked at a couple times and they said it was fine, but we are at the rally and I took advantage of the laser alignment and now they say its off.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you are using the same size tires as originally delivered on the rig as well as the same size wheels the tires should be aired to the pressure posted on the sticker on the side of the coach. Just because the tires or wheels are approved to a higher pressure does not mean that's what they should be aired to.
Inflating to a higher pressure will reduce the contact area with the pavement. This leads to uneven wear and reduced brake effectiveness to name a few. Just like your car, the tires are rated for a higher pressure than is needed in most cases!

The pressure posted on the sticker is the recommended inflation for the best ride. The maximum cold inflation is on the sidewall of the tire. If you are positive of the weight being carried on each tire then you should inflate to the maximum cold inflation. By inflating to what it says on the placard could result in you being underinflated if you are maxed out or even over weight. The tire manufactures set the maximum inflation so you will have the maximum tire patch at that inflation. Example of how inflation affects ride; when I bought my F350 (I currently have) the dealer had the tires inflated to 20 psi on each tire. I got to admit it rode very good. After checking I found it should be inflated to 80 psi. You could not tell by looking. Here is the bottom line: The tire companies have charts which tell you how much to inflate in relation to the pounds the tire is carrying. Weigh your rig and inflate to that recommended pressure. If you are unsure then I would do what the tire manufacturer recommends which is written on the tire sidewall. Another example is when I was teaching Police Driver Training - we had a car with the tire inflated to what was recommended on the door frame (32psi) (the tire sidewall said 44 psi). When we drove the car hard into a right hand turn the tire deflated when the bead rolled off the tire rim. Making the same turn in the same car with the same rim and same brand of tire inflated to the 44 psi on the sidewall the tire stayed inflated preforming as it should. I inflate my H rated 17.5 inch tires to 120 psi and always ran the G tires at 110 psi. But I am at or close to max load on the tires. Hope this helps.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Sorry Jim....I should have included the statement "If you are operating at the weights posted on the sticker"
The manufactures post an inflation for a given load to ensure maximum contact with the pavement.
Here's some very good information from a manufacturer Bridgestone regarding over-inflation.

pegmikef

I'm not sure that is entirely true. My NT came with D rated tires and both on the sidewall and the sticker it said to inflate them to 65 psi. I changed them out for E rated tires. When I did this the folks at two different tire dealers, told me to keep them inflated to 80 psi or they would be under inflated and could lead to a blow out. I believed them and faithfully keep them at 80 psi and have had no problems.