New owner ISO right truck!

schipperhaven

Don Ferris
What are people towing the Bighorn 3670 with? We just put a deposit on one and have to trade our Titan up for something that will work with the new rig (currently have a 30 foot TT 7500#). We plan to full time for a year or more, and we really don't want a dually if we can avoid it. Thanks for your advice!

Don, Dot and the herd (four Schipperke dogs)

Niles

We also have a 3670 and really love it. we pull it with a Dodge 3500 Dually with a Cummins, I would highly suggest that you get a dually, because the 3670 is heavy. With truck and trailer we were grossed at almost 23000#. We have no problem pulling ours and I'm sure others will put their brand in also, but I really like the Cummins with exhaust brake.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I agree with Niles as my 3655RD is the same frame as the 3670.

However, that being said, I wish Dodge made a 4500 or 5500 available in the US as my GVWR of the truck is lower than the weight when my 2800# of tongue weight is added.

nhunter

I pull a 3600RL with a 06 F-350 SRW 4X4. GCWR 23500lbs. Pulls good, has built in traler brake controller and no messing with a dually

Golfgar4

Sometimes timing IS everything!

We just signed the papers on a 2007 3670RL ourselves. I've been wondering what truck to get. I thought I might be able to get by with a 3/4 ton, but it looks like those might be a tad light. Guess I'll look for a F-350 or 3500HD.

And I'm not a dually fan either.

Thanks for the information!

Forrest Fetherolf

I have pulled a 3600RL over 22K miles with 06 2500HD extended cab w/ Duramax/Allison 6spd, GCVW 22460 lbs. The Duramax has more than enough pulling power and with a BrakeSmart brake controller plenty of braking to stop. The 3500 has the same GVW as the 2500HD unless you go with a dually. Some say the dually is more stable and stops quicker, not true, the suspension is what makes the difference for stability and weight on tires dictates the stopping distance, not number of tires on the ground.

The real hidden danger is exceeding the tire load capacity, that can cause unexpected tire failure and most law enforcement will ticket tire overloading and usally don't consider GVW's on RVs.

I prefer a single rear wheel over a dually. I have had both, the dually is more difficult to drive around town and park.

Forrest

Ron Schoner

Tin Star
Don, We have a Dodge 3500 DW. We have pulled our 3670 RL with No problems. We just returned from a 4000K mile vacation and adv. 12 MPG. (towing) . In the mountains it was 10.5 MPG and we did not even slow down. On some interstates we could run 70-75 mph and not even know the trailer was behind us LOL. The dually gives more stability while towing. No rocking back and forth.

I to wish Dodge would come out with a 4500 hauler. I would be one of the first in line.

Good luck and hope to see you on the road.

Ron

aquiring signal

We pull our 3670 with a single rear wheel, 2WD Ram 3500. I'm pretty sure you'd be overweight with the 2500.

I didn't get the dual rear wheels as I drive the truck daily and find it easier to park than with the wider dually. If I was only using the truck to pull the trailer (and rarely needed to park in a parking lot) or if I towed every weekend, I might consider the dually, but you don't need it. The single rear wheel 3500 is rated to more than handle the 3670's pin weight plus is rated to pull the same 23,000 GCVW.

After all, the single rear wheel uses the same engine, trans, springs, etc. as the dually. The dual wheels do give you more payload capacity in the bed, but you already have enough with the one ton single wheel. Get the dually if you are okay with the extra width, plan on carrying more in the bed than the SRW is rated to when you aren't towing, and if don't mind buying more tires.

Thanksgiving week we pulled it over 3,000 miles (from Maryland to Kansas & back). No problems, no rocking.

billd

I pull mine with a 2005 F350 diesel SRW. If I was to get a new truck I would go with a F350 DRW diesel tow boss package. If money was no object, I would go with a custom International 4400 from 2lcustom trucks in texas. I am not a my maximum weights but I like to be more cautious on stopping power.

Bill

boatdoc

Bill, You really aren't at Max or over with the 3670???? We are struggling between the 3370 and the 3670 and only because of the weight. We have an 06 350 CC 4X4 PSD and all my calcs say we would be over. Could you shed some light our way? Thanks, Gary

billd

boatdoc,

I know the 4x4 weight a little more the the 4x2. With my truck as is now, full of fuel with me and the wife in it we weigh 7,700 lbs per the scale. When we add the 3670 the rear weight is fine (I dont have the weight slip with me at work) and my combined weight is around 22,020 give or take a few with water in the holding tanks. I dont travel with water in the fresh tank. So that means my 3670 is around 14,320 going down the road.

Let me know if you want more information.

Bill

bowtorc

We pull the Mt.Rushmore with a dodge cummins 2500 heavy duty which is really more like a 3500 with only two rear tires. Just put new tires on at 65000 miles and have had no problems. We run the 10 ply michelen tires. Still had tread but figured 4years old was a reason to change. We do use rear airbags to improve ride. Weighed with all tanks about 1/2 full at the 06 rally and was under the max on all axles but getting close on the driver axle. We like the 2500s and have used them exclusively for 15 years with no problems on coast to coast trips.

jpmorgan37

Dodge 4500

We had a new Dodge 4500 extended cab with a Hauler bed pulling a large SOB 5th wheel come into the park last week. It really looked good and it was quiet. The owner only spent one night here and I didn't have a chance to spend any time with him, but it looked impressive. He said he loved it. It's the first 4500 Dodge that I've seen with this set up.

schipperhaven

Don Ferris
Thanks to everyone for support. We bought a 2008 Dodge 3500 Cummins dually 4x2. GVW is 15,850 -- thought that was close enough to 16k. We splurged on a Hensley air ride hitch (traded in our Arrow which we loved) and a Hensley Tru-Control. The controller is worth the money. We have taken one trip (in the snow!) to Pennsylvania and the rig did just fine (better than the owner who moved up from a 30' ultralite TT towed with aa Titan). Didn't need the exhaust brake, but the transmission brake did a great job going downhill. We leave for Florida in a couple of weeks -- the real test.

Hope you all have a wonderful New Year -- it's nice to be a part of the Heartlands family.

Don, Dot and the four Schips at Schipperhaven