Thoughts on Tow Rig??

site_33

About 5 years ago, we wanted a 5th wheel so in preparation, I bought a 2004 F250 CC FX4 with the 6.0L PSD. It has been a money pit :mad: 2 years ago I finally got the fiver - Sundance XLT 285BH and we love it! Now I am looking to get rid of the money pit and go back to a gasser since we only pull our camper 5-7 times a year. They are usually weekend trips during the summer to the kids baseball/softball tournaments. All of these trips are within 150 miles from home. I would like to have either a CC or supercab for the kids but want enough truck to pull the rig. I am currently looking at a 2008 F250 4x4 supercab shortbox with a 5.4L and 3.73 gears. I was also looking at a 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 quad cab with the 5.7 Hemi.

I just want a dependable daily driver that I can use 5-7 times a year to go camping.

Thoughts??

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Re: Thoughts??

About 5 years ago, we wanted a 5th wheel so in preparation, I bought a 2004 F250 CC FX4 with the 6.0L PSD. It has been a money pit :mad: 2 years ago I finally got the fiver - Sundance XLT 285BH and we love it! Now I am looking to get rid of the money pit and go back to a gasser since we only pull our camper 5-7 times a year. They are usually weekend trips during the summer to the kids baseball/softball tournaments. All of these trips are within 150 miles from home. I would like to have either a CC or supercab for the kids but want enough truck to pull the rig. I am currently looking at a 2008 F250 4x4 supercab shortbox with a 5.4L and 3.73 gears. I was also looking at a 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 quad cab with the 5.7 Hemi.

I just want a dependable daily driver that I can use 5-7 times a year to go camping.

Thoughts??

I have not had the 6.0 but have had the 7.3, 6.4 and 6.7 engines. All have had the 3.73 rear end. The 7.3 and 6.7 are the most economical but the 6.7 is the best performing. With both I get 10-12 towing and 14-18 not towing.

scottyb

Your 6.0 money pit was a lot of people's money pit. In fact it is the major reason that Ford and Navistar (I/H) got a divorce, due to excessive warranty claims. Ford had a winner in the 7.3, and was a decade ahead of Dodge and GM in the diesel market. The 6.0 was the result of mandatory EPA regulations. By all appearances, they have hit a home run with the 6.7, but it may take years to reverse the damage, especially from those who had bad experiences with the 6.0. In the meantime, they opened the door and Dodge and GM were having great success. If you drive a diesel for 100 -200K+ miles, the cost per mile will be less than any gasser, when you factor in, performance, MPG, and re-sale. JMHO.

BTW, like jmgratz, I was fortunate to skip the 6.0. I do know a few people that drove them for many trouble free miles.

Eddhuy

+1 for scottyb.

I miss my 04 F350 6.0, it was not a money pit, sounded like a diesel, smelled like a diesel and I got better MPG than I should have. My 2013 is very quiet, DEF does not smell like a diesel and the MPG will not be as good but I would not go back, not in a heart beat. While the 6.0 had good power, much better than my 7.3 and better MPG to boot, but it lies in the shadows of the 6.7. The 6.7 has more power than is needed and is as comfortable to ride in as a luxury car with a stiff ride.

My brother tows an SOB toy hauler TT with a Dodge V10 with no problem but would love to see 10 MPG and his next truck will be a diesel.

site_33

Thanks so far for the replies - I keep learning more with each one.

I guess I should have added that my normal drive daily is just 3 miles to the school where I teach. I have been struggling with the cost of diesel compared to gas and only using the truck for towing just 5-7 times a year, the diesel does not come close to paying for itself. If my main purpose for the truck was towing then its a no brainer for me. My truck sits outside all winter and the diesel was also a challenge for that too.

If I make the switch back to a gas truck, will the F250 5.4L or the Dodge 2500 5.7 Hemi do the job with the rig I have?

Thanks again :)

scottyb

I guess I should have added that my normal drive daily is just 3 miles to the school where I teach. I have been struggling with the cost of diesel compared to gas and only using the truck for towing just 5-7 times a year, the diesel does not come close to paying for itself. If my main purpose for the truck was towing then its a no brainer for me. My truck sits outside all winter and the diesel was also a challenge for that too.

If I make the switch back to a gas truck, will the F250 5.4L or the Dodge 2500 5.7 Hemi do the job with the rig I have?

I suppose you may have a point. I am a little biased because I drive mine 35-40K per year and 150-250K is the normal mileage before I trade.

Given your short commute and your 5th wheel, i think you would be happier with the bigger V8 or the V10.

justafordguy

If you decide to go back to a gasser do not get a small V8, The 5.4 and 5.7 will really struggle with a 10k trailer. You will be much happier if you get the V10 or if you buy a newer F250 get the 6.2 Boss V8. I have a 6.2 in my F150 (Raptor) Daily Driver and it's awesome. With 4.10 gears and the 6 speed auto it's like a rocket.

JeremyN

I completely understand where you are coming from. I was looking for a 3/4 ton truck, and was torn between the gas and diesel. I ended up getting a 6.0L crew cab Silverado and opted not to go for the diesel. Do I regret it? Not really. I have a 28BRS North Trail right now, but we do plan on going to a fifth wheel at some time in the future.

I have a work car, so other than towing the TT, my truck hardly gets driven at all. Like you, it would have taken me years and years to see the fuel savings from a diesel. When I was looking for my truck, a similar diesel was about $6500 more than my truck. I just couldn't justify it.

Now, with that being said, I am ok with getting 8.0 to 9.0 mpg when I am pulling my trailer. (well, at least now anyway) If you are not OK with that, you might want to invest the extra money in a diesel for the long haul.

It is really up to you. But another tip, when you are looking at the gas truck, just make sure you get the correct rear end. Opt out of the 3.73 if you can and go with teh 4.10. It will get you a much better tow rating.

Eddhuy

If you do not see one with the correct gear ratio that you like or want, check into the cost of having the the gears changed out, bet it's not much.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
None of the gassers today have the guts like they use to.

OP
Look for a later GM with the 8.1l gasser. It will be tied to the Allison. Last of a good towing gas setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

priorguy

If you want a Ford I'd opt for the 6.2L with 4:10 gears. Get your best pulling power especially if you have any steep grades even yards/driveways to deal with. I'm not familiar with the RAM or GM but get the biggest V8 or V10 they have with the tallest gear 4:10/4:11.

JeremyN I also have a 28BRS and the F150 5.0L pulls it nicely and gets decent mileage. I don't pull much either and if I get a much bigger trailer (or fifth wheel) I'll need a bigger truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOTTOYS

A 5.4 in a Heavy Duty pickup is barely enough motor even if it's empty. I had a 2006 5.4 F-150 that I briefly used to tow a small 19 ft TT. Gutless is the only way to describe it...I'm thinking maybe a 6.2 or new 6.4 Ram with a 6 spd transmission might work a lot better. Or even a 6.0 GM gasser. Anything but a Ford 5.4..JMHO...Don