Our decisions on body paint, 3rd air conditioner, and 6 point

Linc

I want to thank everybody for their input and opinions on all three subjects. I read all of them and agree with all of them so I thought you may want to know how we decided. The body paint is approximately $6,500 and comes in one flavor. The basecoat/clearcoat would be nice especially since it was designed to fight the ultra violet rays. It is not a particularly difficult product to apply especially in the setting of building a coach but the gel coat will look very good for quite a few months even if the coach sits in the hot sun. So the cost of this option to me is way out of line especially since I can build a pole barn to house the coach for an additional $8000. And if I sell the coach I still keep the pole barn. I believe a much more realistic price for the paint would be $3,500. But we opted for the pole barn and if the coach starts looking ratty we have the building in which to paint it. (And I believe painting it will be much less than the $3,500 and come in a flavor we choose) The 3rd air conditioner was much cheaper than body paint and for my wife and I, I saw no benefit to having it. We do not intend to live in the garage anyway. However, if someone did want to sleep in the garage in one of those beds an air conditioner may make their stay much more pleasant. Also, if we ordered the coach without the air conditioner and later wanted to install it, it would be a hassle to run the wiring to complete the job. For the nominal cost of the option we added the third air conditioner. The 6 point gave me the most problem. I think it is overkill for an abled body person to have the six point system especially since the standard system works good. (But I have never owned or set up a fifth wheel so I also have to keep that in mind forming my opinion) I think it is pricey for what you get and when the coach is put up for sale we will never get the money out of it. However, I intend this to be our only 5th wheel, unless it is junk, and therefore ordered the 6 point. I don't think I will be sorry but I think my opinion will be the same in 5 years. That it is nice to have but not worth the money. I guess time will answer my question.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like you put a lot of thought into making your decision. I would hve gone the same route.
I have had the Level Up for nearly three years and believe me you will not regret having it.
Some day, go camping and use only the front landing gear, not the levelers, or do your break/bearing maintenance. Your opinion will change.
Have fun with your new rig and consider showing it off at the Michigan rally this August.

Peace
Dave

scottyb

Those would have been my choices as well. I wish I had ordered mine and had those options available to me. I am with you on the pole barn too. I have already built the pad for it with utilities runnung to it. I am hoping to build it this fall so my rig will have suffered 2 summers w/o shelter. We will see what the damage is. Which Toy Hauler did you order.

Attachments

• IMAG0041.jpg
    IMAG0041.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMAG0040.jpg
    IMAG0040.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 117

TXTiger

Very good choices. I travel alone and next rig will have the 6 point level up for sure. The 3rd a/c is a luxury but may add to the resale value. You can always paint later if needed and choose any color you want and for less $$$.

KiwiRVer

6 point levelling is a no-brainer, especially if you have had a coach without it. 3rd aircon sounds good although in a lot of campgrounds you can't even run 2 aircons (30A) and even in a 50A site, with three aircons running, washer/dryer and microwave you may be blowing the pole circuit breaker on occasion. Paint job is just personal preference.

scottyb

My understanding is that it's not possible to run all 3 AC's at the same time, as they come from the factory. Not sure which combo is possible. BR/GA or LR/GA. They did this to safe-guard from using all 3 when on genny power. Although, when connected to 50A shore power, you could run all 3 AC's and everything else in the coach without worry.

danemayer

Scottyb is correct. From our owner-written Heating and Cooling Guide:
Some of the toy hauler trailers have an option to install a 3rd air conditioner in the garage. Operation is similar to the living room and bedroom air conditioners. But due to the high electrical load that air conditioners require, only two can be operated at any time. The living room unit is always powered, but a transfer switch cuts power to the bedroom when the garage air conditioner is turned on.
Although 50 Amp shore power may provide enough power to run all three units at the same time, the generator in the toy hauler does not. Due to that limitation only two can operate at the same time.

Linc

We ordered the 390 because we like the way the rooms are separated. That being said, there were many things about it we did not like and made a lot of changes and the factory and will make many more when it is delivered. I doubt your coach will show much damage after two years but I am always amazed at what damage the sun does. I will have to look into the air conditioner issue because I would like to be able to use any combination of two units at a time.

Subdrv

Linc we ordered the 4000 about a month ago and selected the same options with the same reasoning. Ours should be delivered around the first of Aug.

Ladiver

We too went through the same thought process when buying our Cyclone 3100. We took delivery on Saturday and the 6 pt leveling has paid for itself already! I lifted the entire trailer, and got the towmax tires replaced. Talk about how nice it is not needing to carry a big jack! The third a/c is nice, but I am still trying to figure out how to wire it so that I can use any 2 of 3. It is not possible at this time.

scottyb

Look at the Xantrex Sequence EMS that was mentioned on another topic. It sounds like the ticket and what I am looking at doing. I just have to figure out how to get the wiring back there since mine does not have it.

Ladiver

I definitely like the Xantrex concept. What I am cautious about is that I have not seen or heard of anyone talking about having it. I am not going to be a guinea pig on an electrical system. I need to talk to someone who has it and find a local company that can assist with installation if I have issues. But besides that, their whole system looks pretty solid. I like the idea of auto start generator too.

Thanks,

Jeff

ricky4453

6 point leveling is wonderful, I didn't opt for paint but was intrigued because I hate how decals peal and fade in short order after purchase. I wash and wax frequently but I'm sure my 2014 will begin fading where with paint it may not...