2014 3010RE Surge protector Location

Hi Guys,

On my way to Elkhart to pickup the trailer. I brought along the surge protector to install, anyone know the location of the inverter, where the shore power connection is made?

thanks!

Brian

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Usually, the converter is behind the basement wall, in close proximity to the breaker panel. You will have to remove the basement walls to get good access to it. I'd recommend moving it forward and out from under any water lines. Same for your suppressor.

Garypowell

Once you take down the basement wall good luck in being able to get to the back of the fuse panel. I found it too tight having to crawl over the furnace.

You might be able to remove the fuse panel but I did not attempt. Or maybe removing the shelf above the fuse panel to get to the wires to splice in the surge protector. Once you know the trick of removing a shelf it is really not that hard.

Pry up carefully the veneer of the upper shelf surface. It is only tacked in place and if you are careful you can replace it and no one will know. Once it is removed you will see that the frame of the shelf is held in place with several screws.

This might be the way to get to the back of the fuse panel. I had installed a dishwasher in the shelf above and did not want to remove it. ....the dishwasher that is.

Sooooo I installed mine (you see I have 3010 too) from under the rear bumper where the power cable goes from the connector into the frame to head towards the fuse panel.

There is enough slack but you still will need to buy some wire. I actually drilled a hole into the floor of the right hand cabinet by the TV. So the unit sits in that cabinet and all the connection are below the cabinet but above the plastic of the bottom cover.

My unit had a problem a couple of weeks back. Opened the cabinet door and pulled out the unit (I had about six foot of extra wire) changed out the part and was back in business. If you put it in the basement you'll have to take everything out and remove the wall.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Garypowell

BK. I just reread you post and I think you might misunderstand. The surge protector is not hooked to the inverter but spliced into the main power supply line.

happykraut

Hi Guys,

On my way to Elkhart to pickup the trailer. I brought along the surge protector to install, anyone know the location of the inverter, where the shore power connection is made?thanks!
Brian
I'll pick up my 2014 3010RE BH right after the national rally. I have the Progressive PMU with the pigtail already installed(took it out of my current BC). Please keep me informed how/where you installed it. Thanks. Bernie.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When I relocated mine (had dealer do original install) I removed the outer cover and trim for the breaker panel. Then you can pull the main breaker out of the panel and make your connections. I fed my extension cable back through and into the basement before making the connections to the breaker. There was enough slack to pull it far enough to work on it. The original install had it behind the panel, under a cabinet.

Thanks Gary,

I understand I was looking for easy access to the power cord, great advice and several options. I am waiting to get possession of my unit! I will let you know how I did.

thanks again Gary!

Brian

happykraut

I just finished the install of the Progressive PMU into my 2014 BH3010RE. You will need to purchase about a 4foot piece of 6/0 SJO cable. SJO or SO cable is pretty flexible unlike the factory cable which is extremely hard to work with. Pull out the breaker panel(not the fuse panel) and disconnect the factory cable(it comes from the outside and is routed to the basement). Remove both walls in the basement and mount the PMU on the floor by the converter as close to the breaker panel as possible. The reason for this is to keep the cost of the pigtail down. Pull back the cable that was disconnected from the breaker panel and hook it up to the input side of the PMU. Connect the pigtail to the output side of the PMU and then connect it to the breaker panel. Remount the breaker panel. Reinstall the basement walls. It is a pretty easy process, but some electrical experience is probably necessary.

Last edited:

Garypowell

Bernie, Thanks for the note. Just read your post. I wish I had thought of this solution when I was doing mine. Mine is working OK but being in the basement is probably overall better than having it in a cabinet. Mine had gone down once so it was easier to pull it out of the cabinet and fix it on the "living room" floor.....but pulling down a bedroom wall is not that difficult either. Thanks again.

jnbhobe

bernie you may want to keep the up your ems up off the floor if case you get a water leak

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Phatkd

I have the same floor plan as you. I mounted mine behind the fuse and breaker panels on top of the elevated floor. I ran the remote to the basement wall on the door side. Works for me.

happykraut

John, I actually did mount it off the floor. The converter and my PMU is on the top level. I mounted it the same way as Phatkd did.