Bighorn - Appliances - Added oven igniter

Mels Musty Music

Our Magic Chef range and oven works fine but lighting the oven pilot light has always been my job. Got this idea from a fellow RV'er that had done it on his motorhome. Bought a BBQ igniter replacement kit from the local Ace Hardware - it came with a second igniter for a side burner which I used as it was longer and I could easily form it to fit.
I tryed to connect it to the existing burner igniter wiring but wasn't enough power for the burners and the oven so ended up drilling a hole in the stove faceplate and using the button that came in the kit.
Now my DW (is that dear or dang?) can light it herself - what a deal!!

Attachments

• 100_1814.jpg
    100_1814.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 730
  • 100_1818.jpg
    100_1818.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 664

jbeletti

Very cool - you are the man!

Now how hard would that be for the oven makers to add? Easy and inexpensive. Must be some other reason why they don't.

v92c

Texan
Very cool. I would think that the wire would melt being inside the oven. Let us know how it works out.

Tony

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
What a cool idea! Did you have to remove the stove/oven to route the wire up to the top? I'll have to investigate the install routine. Thanks for the post.

Ray LeTourneau

v92c said:
Very cool. I would think that the wire would melt being inside the oven. Let us know how it works out.

Tony
I'm guessing here but the wires don't melt inside the gas grill and they're right down next to the flame???:confused:

SmokeyBare

Thanks Hank !

Heading to Lowe's tomorrow for parts.
Maybe with a little luck they will have all the parts needed.

Mels Musty Music

Tony - I was worried about the wire melting too but it is actually under the burner and I'm thinking the temp may be less there than the oven itself. Also there is a heat resistant? cover over the wire itself - don't know if you can see it clearly in the picture. I've run the temp in the oven up 350 to test it but haven't roasted a turkey or anything like that yet.

Ray - Didn't have to remove the stove. Just un-snapped the cover over the burners and lifted it up. In the back on the left is an opening where the gas line and the wire to the thermo-couple are routed to the oven. I fished the igniter wire through there. Then in the oven itself I removed the racks and the cover over the oven burner itself. Just push it towards the back and lift off. Theres a cover over the burner thats attached by one wing nut. With that off you have a clear shot at the pilot light.

Marv - The first kit I bought was a single element which would have been difficult to position properly and get a consistant spark. I returned for a kit with the additional side burner element and it was easy to get a proper gap for the spark after I got it mounted. I think the cost was $10.95.

I'm not great at explaining things so please don't hesitate to ask for more info or pictures.

I still think Jim is right and there is a reason why the manufacturers haven't done this already. Time will tell.

v92c

Texan
I wonder if it might be a liability issue. If the gas was to build up in the oven, then the igniter is struck....

IF that is the case having a seperate igniter switch and opening the door before lighting should take care of the problem.

I think I will make a trip to Lowes also. Thanks for the info

K

Ken Washington

Maybe putting the igniter switch in a place where a child will not decide to give it a try will be better!

Ken

SmokeyBare

On the thought of Safety,

First, no gas is being released until the oven control is turned to Pilot setting. There is no more risk about a gas related problems with or with out this spark igniter in place. As long as the valve to the oven isn't turned on... no gas is released. Second, the oven is vent. This will allow the gas, should it be turned on accidently... to vent... which then should be noticed by the Magic Chief of the kitchen... or the Propane sensor in the RV.

As for the location of the push button for the new spark igniter... Well gosh it's located right next to the nob that makes the spark... that serves the three top burners.

Ray LeTourneau

I made the trip to Home D and bought the ignitor set with the 2 ingnitors and did the install on the pilot but before cutting a hole in the front panel I tried to ignite the pilot with no luck. It shoots a good spark but I can't get it to ignite. Works fine with a stick lighter but not off the spark.:(
I did notice we don't have much of a flame when the pilot is lit so maybe I'm not getting enough LP at the burner port. I'm not sure if there's an adjustment for that:confused: .

bowtorc

I had to adjust mine because the pilot was too low. Take the top off of the stove and look for the pilot gas tube coming off of the control. You should see a small set screw to adjust the pilot.

Ray LeTourneau

bowtorc said:
I had to adjust mine because the pilot was too low. Take the top off of the stove and look for the pilot gas tube coming off of the control. You should see a small set screw to adjust the pilot.

Thanks, I'll take a look for it. Safe to assume adjust while it's lit and keep the flame fairly small? Just enough to reach the thermocouple?

seabee

Oven igniter

This is a stroke of American Can Do great job I will be installing one in my oven ASAP getting to old for hands and knees.

Bob Vaughn

Does the ignitor for the grills come with a wire that is long enough to reach across the pan under the burners, down the back of the oven and out to the oven pilot light? I have been planning on doing this for a long time. My friend has an Island and there is not enough room for him to get down on the floor to light his oven so they have never used it after one unsuccessful attempt to light it....
Can the door be removed without a lot of hassle like our home ovens have to make getting in to do the modification easier?

Bob Vaughn

I ended up having to remove the stove from the cabinet and what I found was it had 4 screws to hold it in place. The 2 at the front were perpendicular to the wall and were screwed into the wood. Who ever installed it tried to put the 2 in the back of the side tried to do it from the front and thus they just went parallel with the side of the oven not screwed into anything. about 2 seconds it would have taken them to move their screwdriver to make the screws go into the wood. I am beginning to think that "Out of sight out of mind" is the slogan on the assembly line. Pride of workmanship sure stayed home on the day they did this job.....