Warranty process question

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I know I am probably opening a can of worms here and it has been discussed before but indulge me please. I purchased my unit out of state as no one had what we wanted and closest BC dealers are near to 3 hours away from us. Well fast forward to today. I need two small plastic parts and go to a local dealer that has the Road Warrior line as well as SOB's. I ask about the parts and he starts telling me the costs an I advise him I am under warranty as a heartland unit maker of the toy haulers on your lot. He said I don't care who made it I will not work on it cause it was purchased here. Let him know I can't purchase something he does not have. I could understand possibly having to wait behind his customers but he ain't very busy at all, in fact his inventory in sales lot does not turn very fast either. Just ticks me off that I got a **** no not I will see if we can fit you in. Needless to say I will not be going back to him and he will go on my blacklist of those I will never do business with. But my question is this, I wanted to follow the process but dealer would not play ball and all he would have to do is order parts, what does heartland think about dealers not wanting to do anything for their customers? I know it is not like gm or ford but dang, atleast try to earn my future business. Oh well. I did call heartland direct again after doing as they suggested by calling a local dealer, heartland is shipping me the parts out via ups this afternoon. Atleast they know how to take care of customers.

Thankfully I have an independent RV tech that I will get signed up with heartland if I need any further service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi Jassson007,

This has been discussed many times. Heartland recommends buying local. If you don't buy local, for the moment you're left with the reality of business relationships that don't always work the way we'd like. Some dealers try to protect their high profit margins by refusing to service anyone who didn't buy from them.

My opinion is that these dealers are dinosaurs. Creating ill will with RV owners creates a bad reputation over the long run and will hurt their business in the long run. Someone else will come along and steal away their customers and will sweep up the people they ticked off.

There are some dealers who have figured this out. They service you regardless of where you bought because they see every customer contact as an opportunity to build a good rep and maybe get your future business.

In the meantime, independent shops may be the way to go. Heartland is pretty good about authorizing warranty service at non-Heartland shops. You just need prior authorization.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yeah I know but how do you buy local if what you want is not sold locally? Just needed to vent because heartland wanted me to go that direction first but that didn't work. Oh well, C'est la vie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk