EPDM Roof to Fiberglass Cap Reseal

brlr2000

I have a roof leak that is allowing water to get into the Front Cap...and then down into the RV overhang (horizontal area near the pinbox). I'm not sure how to re-seal the roof. I intend to remove the vinyl trim material that is located between the rubber roof and the front fiberglass cap. I was told to use the self-leveling dicor Lap Sealant caulk where the rubber roof meets the plastic or vinyl trim. Should I use the same type of caulking for the other side (where the front cap meets the vinyl trim material)?

ParkIt

I suppose it would depend on how much water damage you have if you want to have a shop take off the front cap for a good inspection...unless you can round up some friends for a day or two and check it yourself. If you don't plan on doing that, you would use dircor self leveling caulk. Another thing you may want to do is put a small bead of sealant caulk on the track of the trim and trim itself, was told that by a representative at Heart Land now that ours is in the shop, insurance is paying to check for structural damage after a tow driver missed the hitch.

Hope that helps.

danemayer

Hi brlr2000,

A lot of owners have expertise on caulking that I'm sure they're willing to share, but a whole bunch of them are at the North American Rally this week and probably aren't paying much attention to the forum. Hang in there. You'll probably see some more answers soon.

wdk450

BRLR2000:
Take a look at the Dicor website: http://www.dicor.com/ There is all sorts of videos, and repair products information, and contact information to talk to the Dicor folks who make the rubber roofing used in most RV's.